Body weight exercises: where to start

Options
Hey guys! I'd like to do more strength training with my own body weight because the weight room at the gym is usually crowded, or the machines are too tall for me, as in I'm too short to really use them properly. Maybe I need a booster seat, haha.

Anyway, I was wondering where I should start, as far as reps go. I'm 4'9 and somewhere around 91 lbs right now, and I'm looking to build more muscle and tone up. I have a very small frame and little to no upper body strength. I have some muscle in my legs but that's about it. Which exercises should I do, and how many reps should I do? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    YOGA! Perfect for what you want to do! I particularly love Shiva Rea and Rodney Yee. I do the videos at home, all you need is enough room for you to move in. If you can do a "snow angel" in the space, it's plenty!
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I found an online program called hundredpushups.com

It's a 6 week program which in theory takes you from whatever you can manage at the start up to 100 (or more?!) push ups. I'm thinking of giving it a go soon :) Obviously press ups are a great way of using your own body weight to get stronger so it looks like a good way to go for me :)
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Planks, push-ups, and crunches.
  • stablesong
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just found an old beginner's level pilates video so I might try that out. When I'm doing push ups, etc, should I just do as many as I can manage?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I found an online program called hundredpushups.com

It's a 6 week program which in theory takes you from whatever you can manage at the start up to 100 (or more?!) push ups. I'm thinking of giving it a go soon :) Obviously press ups are a great way of using your own body weight to get stronger so it looks like a good way to go for me :)

This plan works! One of my boyfriend's coworkers is doing this. It really does work.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    www.exrx.net is a site full of info but you'll have to dig a bit.

Squats, lunges, pushups, crunches, etc.

Reps, I don't know.

Good luck!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'd like to do more strength training with my own body weight because the weight room at the gym is usually crowded, or the machines are too tall for me, as in I'm too short to really use them properly. Maybe I need a booster seat, haha.

Anyway, I was wondering where I should start, as far as reps go. I'm 4'9 and somewhere around 91 lbs right now, and I'm looking to build more muscle and tone up. I have a very small frame and little to no upper body strength. I have some muscle in my legs but that's about it. Which exercises should I do, and how many reps should I do? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Upper Body: Dips (parallel bar) Chin-Ups (diferent variations). Push-ups are all good and fine but a real test of upper body strength as it pertains to bodyweight is Dips and Chin-up's. I can easily crank out 75 good consecutive push-ups (possibly more, don't test it anymore) but I can only nail 20 Dips, defnite strength difference.

Core: Hand walkouts, planks, hanging leg raises

Legs: Pistols, one legged romanian deadlifts, one can argue that running uphill or using a moutain climber is good for leg strength too.

For all of them, first findout how many you can do.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/top-5-home-workouts-from-forum.html

5 workouts, all reps, sets, and decriptions included :)
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

This plan works! One of my boyfriend's coworkers is doing this. It really does work.

Awesome, that's good to hear!! I'm planning on starting the 30DS on Monday so I'll maybe plan to start the hundredpushups program once I've finished that :)
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump