Boiled Bananas? Other ideas for bananas?

Options
I have heard you can boil green bananas and it makes a good and healthy side dish? Has anyone done this before? Also wondering if anything has any good ideas for using bananas? I sometimes put them in a Kiwi Smoothie and occasionally in banana bread but wondering if anyone had any other healthy uses for them? Thanks!

Replies

• Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    Good too mix with Porridge, Banana bread, and I love Banana Sandwich's :) Just bread, butter and chopped up banana :)
  • mamalade1
    Options
    In the food processor, frozen, with other frozen fruit & vanilla soy milk for an "ice cream." The other fruit is optional. You basically add whatever you want to the whirred up frozen banana -- think of it like vanilla ice cream. You can also use whatever "milk" you want. If you use just regular old cow's milk, make sure to throw a splash of vanilla extract in.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    1) Pick up banana
    2) Peel banana
    3) Eat banana
    (optional step between #2 and #3 - smear on some peanut butter)

I :heart: bananas
  • haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In the food processor, frozen, with other frozen fruit & vanilla soy milk for an "ice cream." The other fruit is optional. You basically add whatever you want to the whirred up frozen banana -- think of it like vanilla ice cream. You can also use whatever "milk" you want. If you use just regular old cow's milk, make sure to throw a splash of vanilla extract in.

That sounds delicious. I wish I had a food processor ) :
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    1) Pick up banana
    2) Peel banana
    3) Eat banana
    (optional step between #2 and #3 - smear on some peanut butter)

I :heart: bananas

Yeah, that's some pretty good advice. I also like to put them on my cereal or slice it up on toast with peanut butter. Yum!!!
  • mamalade1
    Options

That sounds delicious. I wish I had a food processor ) :

A blender works too.
  • kcb315
    kcb315 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    dont know how healthy it is but banana cake is amazing
  • gonetofootball
    Options
    banana & hot custard gorgeous
  • Movingonforbetter
    Options
    when we were kids dad used to take a peeled nanna , and split it down the middle but not all the way through, them add a few chocolate chips and place in microwave for a few seconds to melt them......YUMMY
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I peel, slice and put them on cling film then freeze them. Great little snacks, and I dont tend to want a whole banana that way!

DO NOT try and stab a frozen banana with a fork. I did that and ended up with a fork stuck in my hand, hence the peel slice etc I now do!

Great how mfp is advertising banana bread to me >>> as i type this.
  • LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Boiled bananas are used a lot in Latin food. They have to be very green they can not being close to ripping at all for it to be good. What you want to do is cut the tips off each end then boil them ti;; tender usually the skin will split a little on it's own. You can salt the water but you don't have to. Once cooked you can dice and eat with olive oil sauteed peppers and onions garlic almost any savory flavor you like. It will taste kind of like a potato. They are one of my favs hope this inspires you to explore more recipes. :smile:
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Is quite common over here (PR)and people eat them a lot , but I prefer plantains .

Don't peel them , just cut the top part from the sides put a little bit of salt on the water and boil them.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    Cut a banana in half, wrap in foil and freeze then you'll be able to enjoy a frozen banana pop. Mmmm, so delicious, especially during warmer months!
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    We boil them a lot in Jamaica and eat them instead of rice and so on.

Normally, we just peel them and boil them

OR.. i like to boil it, mash it like u would potatoes.. put a lil butter or something in... good times. (isnt great cold tho... so eat quickly)

^^^^ Green bananas that is.

Ripe ones we just eat.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but I recently have been making oatmeal and once it's finished slice a banana stir it up and let it get a little warm from the hot oatmeal and then eat it up. This is what I had every day last week for breakfast.. I just couldn't get enough, it took oatmeal to a whole different level! :)
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana sandwich! My self I love that and a mayo and banana sandwhich. ummm
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Mashed on toast.
    Baked in their skin, served with some ice cream and chopped nuts. (Can be baked from frozen, once my 'nanas are in danger of being thrown out I pop them in the freezer)
    Banana bread or muffins. I add walnuts for extra goodness.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    frozen chocolate bar

absolutely delicious!!!

1/2 medium banana, mashed
    stir in:
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (not hot choc mix)
    1/2 pkg individual size splenda
    1/3 cup instant non-fat powdered milk (less works fine too as most of the calories are in this powdered milk)

once mixed together, stir in:
    1/3 cup grapenuts cereal.

roll mixture together into log shape with waxed paper or parchment, freeze.

190 calories

wanna make it even better? add up to 1 tblsp peanut butter to mixture, to taste
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! =)
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    i've only had plantain fried in butter - was lovely!! (my ex was West Indian descent). Just fried, chopped up and eaten..

Now banana's I love in porridge, on weetabix, as they are, on bread with honey, or nutella (pre-diet days of course), on pancake with maple syrup, err in cake, with custard, but mostly just as they are. I :heart: banana's.