Eating out

Options
I seem to make terrible choices in restaurants. Even when I decide before looking at the menu. Any ideas how to get over this.
I do fine at home.

Replies

• tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I have good intentions, but when I sit down in the restaurant my intentions just fly away.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    The biggest thing for me is not to go hungry. I'll grab a healthy, filling snack beforehand and then order a glass of water (or even a diet soda once in a while) and finish that before I order my meal. Also I put what I'm having into my MFP account before I go out, and it makes me feel accountable.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I enter it in my diary before I head to the restaurant so that I have to stick to my plan!
  • needtolose50lbs
    Options
    I seem to make terrible choices in restaurants. Even when I decide before looking at the menu. Any ideas how to get over this.
    I do fine at home.

When I eat out I already know what restaurant I'm going to be eating at, so I go to that restaurants website and look at their nutrition guide and choose what on the menu has the calories I'm trying to stay within, so before I get there I already know what I can and can't have or I just use that outing as my cheat day and don't worry about the calories and just eat whatever in moderation.
  • kayleystar
    kayleystar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I never have issues eating out, really. I try and find the smartest choice on the menu, and stick to it. :)
  • stablesong
    Options
    I like to plan ahead. If it's a chain restaurant, I'll try to find the menu/nutrition online and decide on healthy choices in advance. If we're eating local, I'll typically eat a small, healthy meal beforehand and just get something small and pretty healthy at the restaurant.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead is key. Also, ask for a to-go box with your meal and immediately put half of it in the box. Out of sight, out of mind. Or split an entree with your dinner date. My husband and I do this alot.
  • ktrose16
    ktrose16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I enter it in my diary before I head to the restaurant so that I have to stick to my plan!

This is a good idea!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    First thing I try to do is look at the nutritional info before I go...but not just pick ONE thing I'm getting...I'll make a list of things that are healthier, or things that I can ask to be made healthier (grilled chicken instead of fried, etc), then pick there...then you get a bit of the 'ordering whatever you want' but still stay within a healthy list. Then I'll do like said above, order water and drink at least a glass before I order. You have to be aware that most places will customize your order...you can ask for dressing on the side, grilled instead of fried, 'dry' cooked items (Cooking spray instead of oil), etc...just ask if they can do it. And then just remember that if there's things around, you can have some 'bad' things, just try to eat very small amounts and fill up on soup/salad
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat a low cal fairly filling snack before I go and have a glass of water before ordering. I plan accordingly with the rest of my days calories so that I have more wiggle room. You can also order what ever you want. Just DON"T eat all of it. Maybe only half or a quarter.
  • magram
    magram Posts: 12
    Options
    What is the best online calorie counter or do you use the one on mfp?
  • debschifano
    Options
    Look at the menu and go ahead and log it in. This will give you an idea of what you can have. Also, I always ask my server for a glass of water with lemon, and to hold the bread. Sweet potatoes are great for you and very filling. If necessary carry your own salad dressings. I also try to exercise before I go out.

A moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips! It is so not worth it to go out and blow what we work so hard to accomplish.

Call this a lifestyle instead of a diet.

Good luck!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Drink water at the meal and always ask for half of it to be brought in a box so you aren't tempted to eat it all. Restaurants are notorious for having larger-than-necessary portions.
  • tinydancer24
    Options

This is a good idea!
    Yep, that's what I do too. It seems to work most of the time. I only go out to dinner once in a while though so I don't usually fret if I have a bite or two of an appetizer that I didn't plan on.
  • Survivor1997
    Survivor1997 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do as others here have suggested, check out the menu online if possible, and make your choices.

Then, when you get to the restaurant, and the waiter hands you one of their lovely, glossy, colorful menus (there's a reason the food is always pictured as being so yummy), hand it back to them without opening and say you already know what you'll be ordering.

You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to eat a healthy meal out when you do that. :wink:
  • jdleadley
    Options
    Planning ahead is key. Also, ask for a to-go box with your meal and immediately put half of it in the box. Out of sight, out of mind. Or split an entree with your dinner date. My husband and I do this alot.

I think that is a great idea! I have a bad habit of eating everything that's put in front of me, so as you said, out of sight out of mind!