Best Protein Powder?

Options
Hey everyone,

So my step mother recently suggested to me that I should start mixing in protein powder to my morning breakfast smoothie. So I went to Whole Foods on my way to work and was seriously overwhelmed with the amount of powders available. I have no idea what the different between any of them is and was hoping to get advice from someone on what type I should buy. (Soy?? Whey?? what IS whey?!).

Please note I am not trying to build up muscle, I'm trying to loose weight but a really big issue I'm having is that I'm constantly hungry so I was hoping that protein powders might help with that. Please let me know if I'm entirely offcourse.

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to milk based whey with a high protein percentage - between 70-80% per serving. Any brand will do, protein is protein.
  • simplyychaos
    Options
    Try to stick to milk based whey with a high protein percentage - between 70-80% per serving. Any brand will do, protein is protein.

Milk based? Does it matter that I'm lactose intolerant?
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like the trader joe's whey protein--chocolate and vanilla are both good. When I can't get it, I get Designer Whey.

Anyone have experience with unflavored protein powder? I tend to have difficulty getting enough protein (I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat too much meat, and I hate eggs).
  • Dkittery
    Options

There are proteins out there that are for Lactose intolerant people. I use Gold Standard Whey protein (GNC) But I'm switching to a Isagenixs Protein
  • AngelEyes127
    Options
    Any Protein Powder is going to work, however, I found that the best TASTING and best MIXING one so far has been the Precision Engineered Whey Protein Isolate. It comes in Vanilla and Chocolate (I use the chocolate and mix it with 8oz of Almond milk and it tastes just like a creamy chocolate milk).

As for being lactose intolerant....I found this information online....hoping it might help

"Isolates contain only 1% lactose while concentrates contain 5-6%. Really both are such incredibly small percentages that unless you had an extremely super delicate case of lactose intolerance, your body won't even be susceptible at all to this...."

Not 100% if this is accurate, but it is what I found. You might want to check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.

GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Whey isolate would be better for you in this case.
  • ravihira1892
    Options
    I personally use Impact Whey Protein from MyProtein.co.uk cheapest available and amazing quality! 25g = 19-20.5g of protein & only 98calories per 25g
  • Jenatello
    Jenatello Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm a breast feeding mama who is always hungry (seriously I can eat whatever meal and then feel like I've gone days without food). I've been thinking about doing a protein powder, but I'm afraid of what will get passed to my babe through my milk.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    avoid soy
  • Ichbinceiling
    Options
    I love Jay Robb (egg white). They make my smoothies/shakes taste like milkshakes. They're also organic, but pricey.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Actually, the recommendation I keep seeing and been told by a nutrition expert was cross-flow microfiltered whey or CFM. These are fairly common. I've tried Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey and am currently trying Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion.