I miss baking :(

Options
cbh142
cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
I used to bake a lot for me and my husband. We gained a lot of weight though. Are there any good for you baked "goodies"? I would love some recipes. thanks.

Replies

• MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would love to have some recipes too - I love baking and haven't really dared to since started losing weight. My only tip is to make cupcakes and then immediately freeze most of them and bring them out only a couple at a time! I think I need some new recipes too though :)
  • AlixClockHeart
    AlixClockHeart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I add sugar free gelatin mix to white cake batter and make cupcakes with it. Then they don't need frosting and clock in at only about 100 calories each.
  • tegtmeyerd
    tegtmeyerd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love to bake too! Actually the cupcakes are in the oven now... I need to practice before I take these to a party, so my coworkers will be the lucky recipients so i don't eat them all!

Angel food cake is always a good option. Plus you can make good cookies with the angel food cake mix as well. Just don't make agave nectar cupcakes, they were gross...
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Cooking Lights recipe for White Chocolate Lemon Biscotti! It's only got 55 calories per serving. Plus, it's easy and elegant. Google and it will come right up for you.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Try http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com

It's a healthy dessert blog. She makes things like Cookie Dough Balls, Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, Cheesecake, & a few savory things too.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options

It's a healthy dessert blog. She makes things like Cookie Dough Balls, Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, Cheesecake, & a few savory things too.

Thank you!!! I made my son's birthday cake this week and I had to DUST OFF my KitchenAid. :(
  • ibizabody2012
    Options
    I find it really hard to find things to bake that are low calories. My boyfriend has a lot of allergies so I started making Vegan cookies which are supposed to be a lot healthier (if not completely low cal). I use a normal chocolate chip cookie recipe, but remake some replacements:

Swap the egg for 1 tbsp of Soya Yoghurt
    Butter for Dairy Free Olive Spread
    Chocolate Drops for Dairy Free Choc Drops

And to make them healthier you can add some oats into the mixture and add a little more of the yoghurt to bind. Yummy :)
  • myopus
    Options
    I find it really hard to find things to bake that are low calories. My boyfriend has a lot of allergies so I started making Vegan cookies which are supposed to be a lot healthier (if not completely low cal). I use a normal chocolate chip cookie recipe, but remake some replacements:

Swap the egg for 1 tbsp of Soya Yoghurt
    Butter for Dairy Free Olive Spread
    Chocolate Drops for Dairy Free Choc Drops

And to make them healthier you can add some oats into the mixture and add a little more of the yoghurt to bind. Yummy :)

I don't follow a vegan diet, but FYI all of chocolatecoveredkatie's recipes are vegan, too :)
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I bake too. I've been sticking with healthy breakfast baking. I've made breakfast cookies and peanut butter banana oatmeal muffins. I get to bake and we then have quick and easy breakfasts for a week!
  • myopus
    Options

Thank you!!! I made my son's birthday cake this week and I had to DUST OFF my KitchenAid. :(

LOL, now you can keep it cleaner for healthy treats now & then :happy:
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I need to. I'm certainly going to stop making buttercream frosting again for a long time. I can't believe what I put in that stuff!! (And of course I still ate some!!!)
  • ammorley208
    ammorley208 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to check out and see what kinds of substitutes you could do. That way, you'd still get to do the baking that you love and have less fat and calories. We all know that to get less fat, you can substitute applesauce and of course, there's all those great sugar substitutes that you have your pick of. You can check your local organic or health food store, they may have some other things that would work for other ingredients. Our organic market even has a baking section with all kinds of different things as well as box mixes with everything done for you. And of course, there's always the old standby...googling it. :) You'll find all kinds of yummy treats that way. I found one that was for pumpkin and cream cheese cupcakes. The cream cheese was in the frosting, so you wouldn't even have to do that. The cupcakes were a little heavy in my opinion but still very good. They pumpkin puree was not only the flavoring but the substitute for the fat/oil. They were incredibly easy to make too.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I use cookinglight.com and skinnytaste.com for my recipes...
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste or hungry girl :D
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/baked-breads-cakes-and-cookies.html

Here's a list of the baked goods from Skinny Taste. I loooove that website.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I cook ALL the time! I have a collection of high protein baked goods and low calorie ones too :D

http://pinterest.com/mentalescape/
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Bake as normal... eat smaller portions.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I bake for my family on special occasions- send leftovers home with them. You can bake healthy stuff. OR, if you just like to bake- here's a thought- bake something yummy- keep a PORTION for yourself and DONATE the rest to a nursing home or homeless shelter. ESP the homeless shelters- battered women shelters are good too, they have children there and funds/food is limited.

Keep baking, just share the love with more folks ~
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl does a lot of desserts, too. The old standby that they do is chocolate cake or brownie mix mixed with a can of pure pumpkin. No oil or eggs. Extra fiber and still a chocolatey taste but not too indulgent.

Here is a recipe from a book called "Portion Savvy". I used to make them a lot, but haven't in a while.

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

1/4 cup low fat margarine, softened
    1/4 cup date puree (recipe to follow)
    3 tbs firmly packed brown sugar
    1 egg white
    1 tbs 1%milk
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 and coat two baking sheets with cooking spray
    In a mixing bowl, cream together the margarine, date puree, and brown sugar. Blend in the egg white and milk
    In a small bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, cinnamon and baking soda
    Stir the flour mixture into the margarine mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips
    Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets by 2 1/2 teaspoonfulls. Press flat
    Bake the cookies just until firm on top, 6-8 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes, remove to racks, cool completely

Serving size: 2 cookies
    Calories: 92
    % from fat: 34.1%
    Fat: 3.6 g
    Protein: 1.6 g
    Carb: 14.2 g
    Cholesterol: 0
    Sodium: 66mg

(Date puree: 1 pound pitted dates. 1 1/2 cups water. 1/2 tsp vanilla
    Combine dates and water in a saucepan and cook over low heat for 10-15 min until dates are soft. Or cook in the microwave in a covered dish for 5 minutes on high. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. Add the vanilla and puree 1 minute more. )
  • fourbtgait
    fourbtgait Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try the low fat apple bran muffins found at AllRecipes.com.
    They are very good and curb that hunger.
    Use half wheat flour, you can up the brown sugar just a little, use the whole apple diced and add cinnamon.
    85 cal, under 1 gr fat