Have you had Low-Carb success?

Options
Hi all,

I would love to hear your first-hand accounts of low-carb dieting success. I know that a lot of people on this site believe that "a calorie is a calorie' or that the simple rule of "calories in < calories out" is the key to weight loss, but I believe that there are exceptions to these rules and that insulin resistance and carb/sugar addiction may be major players in my weight issues.

Have you had success with low-carb dieting? How did it affect your energy levels? What types of foods did you eat? How did your weight loss on a low-carb diet compare to your attempts on other diets? I am looking for the inside scoop on a low-carb lifestyle. Please share!

Replies

• carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance, so am on a low carb diet per my Endo. I am losing weight, slower than I'd like, but I'm also not perfect on my carb levels, although I'm trying! I tried calorie restricting and lost NO weight, actually gained, until I started Metformin (for PCOS). On Metformin, I lost some, but metformin plus low carb has been better and left me feeling more satisfied.

I have SO MUCH ENERGY. The first week was awful, yes, but the thing to me that tells me I'm eating the correct way for me is how energized I feel after meals now. I would go out to eat a carb-rich meal, and feel bloated, lethargic and irritated afterwards. Now, when I eat my steak, grilled asparagus and salad, I come home and am ENERGIZED. One date night when we came home I asked my husband if I could take a quick run around the neighbourhood before we watched the movie, because that's how good I felt!

For me, it's a way of life, and I do believe it's sustainable, and probably one of the easiest lifestyles if you eat out a lot. The only time I can't eat if I'm out somewhere is if it's someone's house and they have lasagna or a pasta heavy dish, but usually there's salad and I have string cheese and almonds at all times if I'm still hungry.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "Low-Carb" diet. My spouse lost roughly 40 lbs on the Atkins diet, and promptly gained it all back when he went off the diet.

Another friend, a hero of mine, was always a large teddy bear and he lost a lot of weight on Atkins. So much so, that he was in an advertisement for the Atkins diet. He gained it all back when he gave up the low-carb lifestyle. He has lost it again, and KEPT IT OFF, by eating sensibly and hitting the gym regularly. He looks great!

I am not a fan of any kind of "diet" but I think eating wisely can make a huge difference. I had another friend who was very, very skinny and she said she avoided anything "white"--- white bread, white flour, white sugar. I've been avoiding the white stuff too, but I won't cut it out of my diet entirely. To everything there is a season...
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Ive done low carb dieting and done really well on the weight loss end of it. Weight loss came fairly quickly for me on it. However, the minute you add carbs back, it seems like your body just wants to hold on to them and you can gain weight back pretty quick. If you choose low carb temporarily just to lose weight, you need to make sure you SLOWLY add carbs back into your diet.
  • fraser112
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "Low-Carb" diet. My spouse lost roughly 40 lbs on the Atkins diet, and promptly gained it all back when he went off the diet.

Another friend, a hero of mine, was always a large teddy bear and he lost a lot of weight on Atkins. So much so, that he was in an advertisement for the Atkins diet. He gained it all back when he gave up the low-carb lifestyle. He has lost it again, and KEPT IT OFF, by eating sensibly and hitting the gym regularly. He looks great!

I am not a fan of any kind of "diet" but I think eating wisely can make a huge difference. I had another friend who was very, very skinny and she said she avoided anything "white"--- white bread, white flour, white sugar. I've been avoiding the white stuff too, but I won't cut it out of my diet entirely. To everything there is a season...

see thats the problem with atkins people see it as an easy way to loose weight quickly when its really a whole life plan, what did they think would happen if they stopped following the final step ? well ive lost x pounds on atkins so i can go back to the diet that caused the problem in the first place. kinda crazy logic haha
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can see how much I've lost in my ticker below, that's since June 2011. The main benefit however has been emotional; I feel better in myself than I have in years and years. Can't say for certain what the cause of that is- low sugar, low processed foods, more fat, a combination of those things- I just don't know. All I know is that the weight fell off me and I feel great (I'm still obese, by the way, I certainly don't put my happiness down to being a "normal" "healthy" BMI, I'm nowhere near that yet). I'm not diagnosed diabetic, PCOS, hypothyroid or insulin resistant, by the way.

Of course you'll gain the weight back if you stop managing your food intake. It's the same for low calorie diets and I can point to plenty of low-cal dieters who've done just that. I realise I will have to moderate my carb intake for life, and I'm quite happy to do so as I feel so much better without them- for me that IS "eating sensibly". How is it any worse/different than people who continue to weigh food and measure calorie intake for every meal for the rest of their lives? Does anyone really think that after dieting you just go back to how you ate before and the fat will magically stay gone?
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance, so am on a low carb diet per my Endo. I am losing weight, slower than I'd like, but I'm also not perfect on my carb levels, although I'm trying! I tried calorie restricting and lost NO weight, actually gained, until I started Metformin (for PCOS). On Metformin, I lost some, but metformin plus low carb has been better and left me feeling more satisfied.

I have SO MUCH ENERGY. The first week was awful, yes, but the thing to me that tells me I'm eating the correct way for me is how energized I feel after meals now. I would go out to eat a carb-rich meal, and feel bloated, lethargic and irritated afterwards. Now, when I eat my steak, grilled asparagus and salad, I come home and am ENERGIZED. One date night when we came home I asked my husband if I could take a quick run around the neighbourhood before we watched the movie, because that's how good I felt!

For me, it's a way of life, and I do believe it's sustainable, and probably one of the easiest lifestyles if you eat out a lot. The only time I can't eat if I'm out somewhere is if it's someone's house and they have lasagna or a pasta heavy dish, but usually there's salad and I have string cheese and almonds at all times if I'm still hungry.

Thank you for your story! This is similar to the experience that I had on my short stint (roughly 3 weeks) watching my carbs a while back. I wasn't sleepy all day, I felt energized, I didn't feel the need to snack on everything in sight, and I lost a lot of weight in that time. I am convinced that low-carb is the eating style that works for my body and is the most sustainable for long-term success. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i certainly don't ascribe to lowcarb dieting, however i think many of us eat too many carbs and i try to reduce my carb intake but not avoid.So i try to have only one of my main meals per day with carbs in it. So if i know i'm having pasta for dinner, then lunch will be salad based (brekkie is normally a banana for me) and vice versa
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've had good success using a Low-Carb / Carb-Cycling method, lost about 27lbs all in. Overall I've had more success (body comp improvement and weight lifting progress) eating a more balanced diet with clean carbs.
  • yesthistime
    Options
    Yes, you can see how much I've lost in my ticker below, that's since June 2011. The main benefit however has been emotional; I feel better in myself than I have in years and years. Can't say for certain what the cause of that is- low sugar, low processed foods, more fat, a combination of those things- I just don't know. All I know is that the weight fell off me and I feel great (I'm still obese, by the way, I certainly don't put my happiness down to being a "normal" "healthy" BMI, I'm nowhere near that yet). I'm not diagnosed diabetic, PCOS, hypothyroid or insulin resistant, by the way.

Of course you'll gain the weight back if you stop managing your food intake. It's the same for low calorie diets and I can point to plenty of low-cal dieters who've done just that. I realise I will have to moderate my carb intake for life, and I'm quite happy to do so as I feel so much better without them- for me that IS "eating sensibly". How is it any worse/different than people who continue to weigh food and measure calorie intake for every meal for the rest of their lives? Does anyone really think that after dieting you just go back to how you ate before and the fat will magically stay gone?

I agree. It doesn't turn me off that I will need to watch my carbs for the rest of my life, because if it makes me happier and healthier to do so, why wouldn't I? Thanks for your story, and congratulations on your weight loss!
  • yesthistime
    Options
    I've had good success using a Low-Carb / Carb-Cycling method, lost about 27lbs all in. Overall I've had more success (body comp improvement and weight lifting progress) eating a more balanced diet with clean carbs.

Thanks! Do you mind giving me an idea of what clean carbs you eat? I definitely want to know what carbs would be smartest to integrate into my diet if I have a craving or need an energy boost.
  • JNick77
    Options

Thanks! Do you mind giving me an idea of what clean carbs you eat? I definitely want to know what carbs would be smartest to integrate into my diet if I have a craving or need an energy boost.

Here's what my guy has me eating:
    - Oats
    - Brown rice
    - Red potatoes
    - Sweet potatoes
    - Berries (prefer Straw and Blue)
    - Broccoli
    - "Big *kitten* Salads" - Lettuce, lots of veggies with a Balsamic Vinegar
    - Ezekiel bread (not frequently though)
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with the low carb lifestyle and I get annoyed at all of these people who have success and then complain when they QUIT the lifestyle and gain the weight back again.

OF COURSE it will come back if you go back to living the lifestyle that put it on in the first place! Why does that ever need to be said?????

I've successfully switched over now from low carb to calorie counting, mainly to slow down the last thirty pounds of weight loss and give my body a chance to rebuild muscle. I'm careful about what I add in, and I am religious about counting every calorie, but in the six months since I've made the switch I've continuedto lose weight and build muscle.

Good luck :)
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Hi. I love the low carb diet I am on. (Atkin's) I have been on it for a week, and after the first four days, I lost seven pounds. Then I started eating those atkins bars and snacks and although they are supposed to be ok on the atkin's diet, they have sugar alcohols in them which others have said will stall weight loss. Sugar alcohol is present in artificial sweeteners like Truvia, stevia etc. So I went to the atkins site and read an article called "How to do the atkin's diet the right way" and it told me that the carbs I need (20 g per day) should come mostly from vegetables. 12 to 15 carbs per day should come from veggies. So, I cut out anything with aritificial sweeteners in it and started to eat more veggies and I am starting to lose again, rapidly. You just have to study the foods you can eat on the atkin's site and really stick with it. It works. Good luck!
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I did low carb in the past, about a year ago. I did lose 15 pounds eating low carb and have not gained it back (mostly because I am still dieting). So, in a way it did work, but it was also not long term for me. My body was not feeling healthy, high energy or happy, in fact I was lethargic frequently. I love fruit, and fruit has carbs. I love raw honey, I love brown rice, I love whole or steel cut oats. I prefer to eat clean, whole foods in a way that I can maintain as a lifestyle. I feel much better this way and still lose weight.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Hi. I love the low carb diet I am on. (Atkin's) I have been on it for a week, and after the first four days, I lost seven pounds. Then I started eating those atkins bars and snacks and although they are supposed to be ok on the atkin's diet, they have sugar alcohols in them which others have said will stall weight loss. Sugar alcohol is present in artificial sweeteners like Truvia, stevia etc. So I went to the atkins site and read an article called "How to do the atkin's diet the right way" and it told me that the carbs I need (20 g per day) should come mostly from vegetables. 12 to 15 carbs per day should come from veggies. So, I cut out anything with aritificial sweeteners in it and started to eat more veggies and I am starting to lose again, rapidly. You just have to study the foods you can eat on the atkin's site and really stick with it. It works. Good luck!

Yeah be careful with those low-carb bars. A carb is a carb and you should count it. My progress really seemed to stall when I tried those things.
  • silkii_locks
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I lost a ton of weight low carbing. I didn't follow a specific plan I just cut nearly all carbs Mon-Fri and basically ate what I wanted on the weekends. The weight just melted off and super fast. But as soon as I stopped it all came back plus more. But I guess that will happen with any weight loss attempt. Once you go back to bad eating and laziness the weight comes back.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yes, I am a pasta/bread lover and that was always my downfall. Once the cravings stopped, I no longer want it.

Please read the book "Wheat Belly" --- it's eye opening!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm a low-carber myself. But I also am low fat and low calorie. My personal issue is I am allergic to yeast, so I can't have bread. My body doesn't do well with most starches either. Most of my carbs come from the honey I used in my tea, benefiber, and what is found in the fruits and veggies I eat. I have had huge success with this in the past - lost 50 pounds! But if I go off it for any length of time, it all piles right back on. I try to get 90 grams of protein every day, and if I get that, and stay on track with my calorie count, I do really well.

Atkins sucked - only gained weight doing that. It was TOO low carb and too high fat.
    South Beach was okay. Didn't have much success, but didn't gain either.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options

see thats the problem with atkins people see it as an easy way to loose weight quickly when its really a whole life plan, what did they think would happen if they stopped following the final step ? well ive lost x pounds on atkins so i can go back to the diet that caused the problem in the first place. kinda crazy logic haha

Not everyone one the Atkin's diet thinks this way. Yes, there are those who want a quick fix and when they get it, they gain the weight back by going off the diet. But on the atkin's site, you can see a bunch of success stories from people who have made atkin's a lifestyle change and kept the weight off. You really can never go back to eating as many carbs as before. You can slowly have a few here and there once you reach your goal, but you can't go back to eating everything in site, whether it's the Atkin's diet or any diet for that matter.
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I eat a low carb high protein dieting. works quite well when coupled with working out. by low carb I don't do super low... I just try to make sure I eat less carb then protein.... carbs I try to stay under... um... I think it's 100g a day and eat more then 100g or protein. I eat alot of meat and eggs. yogart and cheese are good as well.