hello all.

Options
Hi every one :) just popping in to say hello and to ask a questions or two.

I have been using the myfitnesspal app on my phone for some time on and off, but i have only recently begun to stick to it strictly. After inputting all my data into the app its told me i can consume 1930 calories per day.

My starting weight a few weeks ago was 16st 2lbs. So far over the past 3+ weeks ive lost 9 pounds and as of this morning i am 15st. 7lbs and every thing seems to be going great.

Ive cut right back on what i used to eat, i only drink 1% milk instead of full fat. I drink alot more water than i used too. On the plus, ive not had to do any additional excercise since im on my feet for around 7-8 hours per day. I guess my only initial problem was that i was eating too much, and what i was eating was junk :/ lol.

My questions are:
1. While im finding my weight loss somewhat easy, the most difficult time is when im at home. boredom is my sworn enemy and he strikes often, ive tried various pastimes but nothing seems to keep my mind off nibbling those few little extra calories. any suggestions?

2. I intend to begin going to a gym once ive lost a good chunk of weight to do some weight training, what sort of weight should i get down to before i start to build up or does that even matter?

3. My mum has recently quit smoking and is trying to shed the extra pounds from that and from christmas. no matter what she tries she just cannot shift it, she can barely eat anything, do a few hours of cardio a day and nothing, and its kinda making me feel bad that im finding it so easy. what is she doing wrong? ive suggested what im doing but she seems to just dismiss what ive said and is in the mind set that if she eats practically nothing and work out all the time she'll lose it?

Thank you in advance for any input and good luck to everyone :D

Replies

• DeMaCu
    DeMaCu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Way to go on your weight loss so far! I know all about that boredom thing, and it's hard to beat. What works for me is to do something, ANTHING, to get my mind off of eating. I will go for a walk, play with the dog, start some project around the house, like cleaning out a closet. Before I know it, time flies and it's time for a meal.

As for your mom-how old is she? You are 24, so she could be close to my age....late 40's or 50? At our age, it becomes harder to lose weight. Hormonal changes, metabolic changes, you name it, it messes with our weight. It actually will take several weeks of eating healthy before she will notice a difference. For instance, I started watching my diet in mid-January, but didn't start using MFP til a few weeks ago. I am only now really starting to feel mt clothes fitting looser, and I am 9 pounds lighter! Tell her not to give up. More importantly, if she's eating next to nothing, her body may feel like its in starvation mode, which then will not let her lose weight! She needs to eat a normal, healthy diet to achieve a slow, gradual weight loss.

Hope this helps some!!!

Good luck!
  • dcc2012
    Options
    hi :D

thanks im happy with my results thus far. Ive tried many things im an avid gamer but i either finish games too quickly or get bored with em. im really into art and ive tried to pursue that in my free time but after having worked 8.5 hours a day plus the 2 hours travel to get there (hour each way) my creative juices are running somewhat low so its difficult to come up with ideas. may have to just try letting my mind wander into my sketchbook to some music :D I also wish i had a dog to play with lol, mine was put to sleep last april and my parents dont want another one sadly, itd be a good companion to go running with too.

My mum is 43. and ive tried telling her that but she seems conviced shes an exception :( not sure what else to say to her to be honest.

congrats on the 9 pound also :D
  • melonsss
    melonsss Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi, I agree with the previous post. In addition, I brush my teeth more often, have a mini tea ceremony with posh tea pot and cup (milk and sugar free). Also keep a stack of rice cakes, sugar free jelly and fruit. If TOM I will indulge with a twix.

re your mum - again agree with above post. I am 46 and the weight loss is slower with hormonal changes,erratic TOM, more tired. On a positive note I tend to avoid processed foods and my food intake is more healthy, so in the long run hopefully the weight will come off.

Good luck