Anyone use Pandora radio on their smartphone?

Options
I'm just curious?? I downloaded the app but on my phone it said I would be using data while I used it and wasn't sure how much it would use if I had it on for 45 minutes while I was walking?? I have Verizon and am on the 2g data package. I have been walking about 4 times a week but am just not sure if I would use a lot of my data usage allowance.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious?? I downloaded the app but on my phone it said I would be using data while I used it and wasn't sure how much it would use if I had it on for 45 minutes while I was walking?? I have Verizon and am on the 2g data package. I have been walking about 4 times a week but am just not sure if I would use a lot of my data usage allowance.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!!

I believe the usage is signifigant. You'd be better to toss some music in the memory of the phone and use the onboard player like a standard mp3 player. If you have an unlimited data plan then use it all you want. I think sprint is the only carrier with truely unlimited plans anymore though.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I use it, but I have an unlimited data plan so I never thought about it.
  • yoouperh
    yoouperh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It does use a lot of date. I have sprint, so I use it every day, while at work and working out, my monthly data is unbelievable! So glad I'm unlimited!
  • insane4train
    insane4train Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i love pandora but the data can really stack up. I have verizon but i have an unlimited data package so i dont worry about it.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I think the other person is right about Sprint, which is what I have. I use pandora about an hour 3 times per week for my running. I have the unlimited data plan though so I don't worry about it too much. BUT I also have over 200 songs stored to use my blackbery as an mp3 as well. Check your bill and see what it shows. That's the only way you are going to know for sure.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Yes, Pandora is a pig!! That's why I got unlimited....can't run without my Pandora!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have Pandora on my Android (also on Verizon). I have used it mostly at work. What I've noticed is it doesn't work as well when using Verizon's network as opposed to WiFi. Instead, I've been downloading music to my phone from Amazon MP3 store. That way I can listen with no data usage (although I have unlimited) or in an area where my signal isn't strong.
  • k_ell05
    k_ell05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love it and have verizon. If you have unlimited plan, you're good!
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    i love pandora but the data can really stack up. I have verizon but i have an unlimited data package so i dont worry about it.

Same here.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    pandora gives a warning that it uses alot of data.!!!!!
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    I used to listen to it at work all day (8-10) hours a day, 5 days a week on my Droid. More than half of the time our wireless connection wasn't strong enough, so it was mostly data for me and I only went over 2 gigs twice. I also have Verizon and an unlimited plan. So based on what you are going to use, you should be fine. Keep your ears open though. From time to time, Verizon offers a "twice the data deal". My boyfriend just missed the boat on the unlimited plan and got 2 the gig plan. A month later, I doubled it to 4 gigs for the same price. The offer is only for a limited time, but you keep the deal for the life of the contract, fyi.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    yeah, the usage is pretty big! thankfully i have unlimited data, and my gym has free wifi.

what i normally do for walking is just make a bunch of playlists...and at the gym use Pandora on my phone connected to the wifi!
  • northwjj
    northwjj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yep, it is a data hog. I have Verizon and if I use Pandora to workout with I make sure I'm on a Wifi network. I don't think I would use it if I were you and walking outside. Love it though, very awesome!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    See if your gym has a wifi connection to piggy back off of.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I've used pandora before and have a 2g data package and I didn't notice it using any significant amount. I use it when i'm walking with my dog for about 45 minutes.
  • iminaquagmire
    iminaquagmire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weird that there are so many different answers. I use it probably at least 10 hours a week on my phone and my data so far this month is .06GB.