Colmans season and shake bags...

Options
Hi,

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a dumb question but the calories printed on the packet for the colmans season and shake bag are these the calories just for the the seasoning or for the whole thing with chicken too? E.g. The rustic chicken bag states that it has 307 cal per 100g. The packet mix is 48g which is roughly half so about 150 cals? Surely that must be for the whole thing as I can't see how a bit of seasoning could be 150 calories!!

But then it says per serving 332 cals...? Very confused. Do the calories refer to just the seasoning, the chicken as well or the whole thing e.g. chicken, peppers etc etc? Just wanna know how to log the calories in my food diary. Thanks :)

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It's just for the seasoning. You can put whatever you want inside.

My typical meal works out as:

Peas (100g): 84
    Instant Mash (50g): 35
    Mashed Carrot and Swede (100g): 32
    Colemans - Garlic and Herb, Cook In Bag (16g - half a packet): 51
    Roast Chicken Breast (300 g): 495
    Total Calories: 697
  • freckles88
    freckles88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It can't possibly be for the seasoning alone as it says 307 cals for 100g, so it would be roughly 150 cals for a 48g packet right?

Then it says per serving 300 odd calories. The pack says it serves 4, that must be for the whole thing, chicken and all as if you divide the 150 cals for a 48g packet by 4 servings you would only get about 30 something calories.

How can a packet of seasoning be 150 cals if per serving the meal only comes to little over 300 cals?! A packet of quavers is only 99 calories so how can some seasoning and a few spices be 150 calories???

I feel so dim but the nutritional info is really confusing! x
  • runnercheryl
    Options
    Hm...I'm not sure what a serving is supposed to be, then. I don't have a packet to hand. 307 calories are in 100g of the rustic seasoning, though, so serving four each serving is SUPPOSED to be approximately 77 calories.

I looked on their site. 307 calories per 100g AS SOLD.

And 332 calories PER SERVING.

So yep, I guess the second figure is the total with chicken.

I've never calculated it like that, but we don't stick to the recipe. I just do my chicken separately.
  • freckles88
    freckles88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh right, thanks for that!

I suppose that would be about right, if a 48g packet is roughly 150 cals, and 1 packet serves 4 people that would make it around 30 cals each person for the sesoning. That sounds right!

I think it makes more sense to do it your way though as I put extra veg in and change the recipe too!! :)
  • runnercheryl
    Options
    I think it makes more sense to do it your way though as I put extra veg in and change the recipe too!! :)

Certainly makes it easier to tailor it to suit your tastes. I think my fiance would kill me if I put all my vegetables in with his precious chicken. :tongue:

Plus, for those serving calories to be accurate you'd have to make sure you got the same amount of potatoes, veg and chicken as everyone else. Complicated!