"fake sugar" and pain.....???

I have been living low carb for over a year now, so sugar alcohols are no stranger to me, however the past two weeks I have decently had some severe abdominal pain, and the only "trigger" I can seem to find would be fake sugars, and products with them in it.
I know many are sensitive to them, but I have never been so. Would it suddenly start affecting me?
I am trying to avoid the doctor and/or ER at all costs so trying to find a trigger to do so.

Anyone else with a sudden reaction to the fake sugars??

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Sugar alcohols can have an adverse effect on your digestive track, even with being used frequently. My advice is to find an alternative. Personally I like stevia. Note, truvia brand stevia has xylitol in it, so not the best choice. The brand I use, sweetleaf, is just stevia extract and fiber. Doesn't dissolve as quickly, but so much nicer than truvia or artificial sweeteners.
  • It could be the fake sugar, but it could also be a serious medical condition such as an ulcer or appendicitis. Unfortunately, only a doctor can tell you whether this is a simple food intolerance or something potentially life-threatening. I think you need to see a doctor. If the issue is financial, see if there's a free or low-cost clinic in your area. Avoiding the emergency room by being proactive and seeing a doctor now will save you money in the long run.
  • cavemancop
    cavemancop Posts: 42 Member
    if it is made in a factory and not from a farm, your body will not like it and the pain you are feeling is the body's way of tell you to stop poisoning it