New and trying to loose 45 pounds.

Options
Hi,

Im new to this website. I am 36 and trying to loose 45 pounds. It is so hard for me to stick to a diet plan. I have yo-yo dieted for years but I have diabetes and high blood pressure and just feel like poo. I joined hoping to get motivation and learn. I really want to loose this time. We are doing a biggest loser at my work and I have lost 8 pounds in the last 4 weeks. That ends at the end of March and I want to make sure that I keep up the weight loss. Looking forward to meeting new people also.

Cindy from NC

Replies

• mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers before with success... But, I was ALWAYS hungry - which made it hard for me to get motivated to do it again after I had each of my kids... I am loving this site though... In the past 3 weeks I've only been hungry about 2 days at the end of the day and know that I could easily do some exercise to gain extra points. I have lost 6 or 7 pounds in a few weeks despite setting my goal at 1 pound a week. I often have more calories left over - but don't feel the need to use them. I have found this site to be very enlightening. I love being able to track my sodium especially since I also have high blood pressure. I

'll be your friend and help you through this process. I still have about 18 - 20 pounds left to lose.. We can go through this learning process together.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Cindy,

Welcome to MFP. Like you I had high blood pressure and was in a general state of disarray when I started here. I've lost 30 pounds and am feeling much better but still have another 30 (at least) to go.

Feel free to add me if you are looking for friends.
  • p_barron
    Options
    I am also trying to lose about that much weight I really like this site it is easy and very easy to stick to. My husband is also helping me and understands. I have met many new inspiring people on the site who are very supportive and I wish the give the same to you. I sent you a friend request. We WILL do this. "Do or do not. There is no try." Really keeps me motivated.
  • carrikc1
    Options
    Thank you both. I am hoping calorie counting will be easier too. I was trying to use my OLD weight watchers books but got bored after 2 weeks. I have got to do something. Are you both just counting calories? I just downloaded the mobile ap on my blackberry hoping that would help too. =-)
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    Hi, Cindy! I live in NC also. Feel free to add me if you want. And just a little pet peeve of mine - it's "lose", not "loose". Take care!
  • carrikc1
    Options
    Sorry Ivan. My fingers were moving faster than they should as always. =-) I will spell check next time! I have that pet peeve on FB.
  • sassyshell
    sassyshell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have been battling diabetes for the past two years but with the weight loss my BS are within normal limits. I go to the dr. on March 9th and anticpate no more medication! This is a great site because it enables you to monitor your calories and carbs which is important for diabetics. The supportive friends makes a huge difference also. Best wishes in your journey!
  • kedgin
    kedgin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy!

I am currently looking to lose a few more pounds than you are but have found MFP to be a helpful tool. A key to success, I have found, is to eat things in moderation. You don't have to take away everything that you like, but just eat it in moderation.

I found that not only counting calories but also watching portion sizes has opened my eyes as to what I was eating and how much i was eating.

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • kelsgrenier
    kelsgrenier Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    wow 8 Pounds is great. congrats on starting your weight loss. It looks like you're doing great so far. I have diabetes too, well i go from Hyper to Hypoglycemic, i control mine through diet. I live in Asia and we tend to eat a lot of rice and i've found that even though theres a ton of carbs as long as you're burning them you drop a lot of weight. theres actually a diet called "The rice diet" and a place called "The Rice House" i believe, It's a weight loss place that you stay at for a few weeks and eat rice for most meals but you can put pretty much anything you want on it. Also Brown rice has a lower GI index ( 50 ) and if you've ever noticed the only fat asians i've ever seen are the ones who hang around the fast food joints and in thailand they love to eat so its not small portions of rice either :p . Might be worth a look.

Good luck!
  • carrikc1
    Options
    I lost the 8 pounds so far from trying to use the old WW books the first 2 weeks then I got bored. The last 2 weeks I've just tried portion control. But after the end of March I won't have a weekly weigh in because that it the end of the biggest loser at work so I was looking for something else to motivate me.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    I have been on WW, but feel I have more personal control, knowing what my calorie intake and exercise output is. With points, that's all you really have to go by, and even though it's a good program for some, just wasn't for me. I like seeing my daily numbers.
  • Reka2011
    Reka2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! Feel free to add me if you want some extra support! Good luck on your journey!
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    w2g on the 8lb loss! I love the control I have over my own weightloss on MFP. It makes me know I really can control wether or not i'm healthy. I've lost 53 lbs and my Mom's lost 25. The thing is we're both ill. I've got an autoimmune arthritic disease that bars me from anything but low or no impact exercize. My mom has chronic fatigue syndrome. So if we can loose... The tricks i've learned are to have what I love in a healthier way. Tonight for example we had 1/2 a chicken courd on bleu on franz nine grain thin sandwich bread, with a bowl of yummy homade split pea soup for 315 calories. Last week we discovered how to have strawberry shortcake for 97 calories, and trust me these don't taste like diet food!