Kettlebell DVD for male beginner

Options
I have performed the search on this topic and have read and read and have run out of reading time. My understanding so far is that the Julian Michaels is not a good one to start with because of her lack of proper techiques. Can anyone that is knowledgeable concerning this give me your recommendation on which DVD to pickup?

I have been on the treadmill and get really bored easily. I thought these kettlebell excercises look interesting and i like the way they work on your entire body. I doubt my wife will do this kettlebell workout with me so if you would give me your best info I would appreciate it. Im 6'2 and 274 lbs (now) and have not done any strenghth training to speak of since my 30's... Im 57 now! What DVD (not youtube) and weight would you recommend? Thanks

Replies

• dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I recommend you get some foundational stuff by Pavel Tsatsouline or Anthony DiLuglio

http://www.dragondoor.com/dv036/

http://artofstrength.mybigcommerce.com/the-kettlebell-way-volume-1-the-kettlebell-way-to-your-perfect-body/
    http://artofstrength.mybigcommerce.com/the-kettlebell-way-volume-2-the-empire-state/

Those last two are a lot of fun. They're not cheap but so worth it.

edit - Forgot to add an obligatory "If at all possible get a few sessions with a RKC trainer" :)
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My husband and I brought Bob Harper kettlebells, they came with a free 30 minute "how to" DVD that's also a workout. He also has a couple of hour long kettlebell DVD workouts that really kick your butt.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Anybody have an idea what weight I need to start out with?
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I started with the Bob Harper ones, too and really like(d) them. I started with a 10 lb kb and quickly realized I needed a 20 lb one. the heavier the better. I'm not sure what men start with though-hopefully another guy will chime in.
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am doing the KettleWorx 6 weeks body transformation, trainer Ryan Shanahan.... It comes with 3 DVD's- 20 mins each, a cardio, core and resistance dvd and 2 - 10 mins fast fat burn and fast abs.... I think he said a man should start with a 20 lbs kettlebell weight. I am using a 8 lbs right now and thinking about going to 10 lbs. I have nerve damaged in my hand so I have to slowly work my way up but ... I love the work outs, it also comes with a diet plan, but I am not doing that. When I finish this , planning on buying the Bob Harper kettlebell workouts.
  • jbosey
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I finally had a few minutes to do some internet searching and found this for anyone that is thinking about giving this kettlebell thing a try:

Patty Scott, a SparkPeople member (ZORBS13) and Agatsu-certified kettlebell instructor, stresses the importance of getting personal instruction when it comes to using kettlebells. "With the popularity of kettlebells, a lot of people are learning the basics from DVDs and YouTube. I cringe at some of the instruction given on websites, even though the instructions come from extremely well-respected and certified kettlebell trainers," she warns. Scott, who was an experienced fitness professional and trainer long before she tried kettlebells, uses herself as an example. "When I first started using kettlebells, I sustained some nasty bumps and bruises. I cannot imagine what would happen to a person with less experience!"

Because kettlebell lifts are more subtle than traditional weight training exercises, it takes coordination and kinesthetic (body) awareness to perfect the exercises. A single exercise consists of multiple joints and muscle groups moving simultaneously, often in ways that are new and unfamiliar to most people. And because the movements are different than traditional strength exercises, they take practice—and professional attention—to master. When done wrong, there is more risk than just dropping the weight on your toes or bumping yourself, as Scott alludes to. Bad form could seriously injure your joints, neck, back and spine. The bottom line is to be safe—and learn how to use kettlebells from the pros.

Marshall couldn't agree more. He also recommends seeking advice from a certified trainer before even picking up a kettlebell on your own. A kettlebell instructor will teach you how to move correctly, he says. "Through correct movement comes an intrinsic action in which your mind becomes one with the movement, so that you no longer think about the action," he explains in a very Zen-like way. "Similar to riding a bike, once you learn you never forget."

How much do kettlebells weigh and where do you get them?
    There are kettlebells from two pounds to 106 pounds and beyond, according to Marshall. Naturally, you should start with a lower weight until your skills improve enough to try a higher weight without risk. Men usually start with a kettlebell that weighs between 25 and 35 pounds, while women tend to begin with a 12 to 26 pound kettlebell, depending on their fitness level. Scott says that lighter kettlebells are not recommended for most people. "It is necessary to have a kettlebell that's heavy enough to engage your hamstrings and glutes during the swing, the most basic kettlebell exercise." Even though smaller kettlebells exist, even in the five to 10 pound range, these would be "totally inappropriate" for many exercises, according to Scott. Although it seems counterintuitive, a weight that is too light may encourage improper form. But more importantly, you'll derive little to no benefit from using such a lightweight kettlebell.

It's challenging for a novice to pick out a high-quality and comfortable kettlebell since they often don't know what to look for. "There are a lot of companies making cheap kettlebells, and they either have a weird handle shape or rough handles," says Scott, who once bought a cheap kettlebell from Craigslist that badly tore up her hands. She recommends that you look for a kettlebell that is smooth and basically feels good in your hand. For clients who have been using kettlebells in a group or private training setting for a while, it's easier to find the right fit since they know from their instructor what "feels right." So once you have some experience using them, comfort, shape and fit is important in selecting kettlebells for at-home use.

Scott recommends vendors such as Agatsu and Dragon Door. Both Marshall and Scott consider Art of Strength's kettlebells to be of high quality as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

LOOKS Like I need a 25 lb-er to start with...I think I can already feel the muscle soreness just thinking about it! Lou, I like the looks of the shape of the Bob Harper ones, I found his website but found them cheaper at www.gofit.net. Bob's kettlebell videos are marked down to only $5.00 each on his website!!!! I hope he is a good kettlebell trainer. I searched for a live trainer in my area and came up with only one too far away.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are a great workout, though, it is tough but worth it! I keep a heartrate monitor that keeps track of calories burned when I work out, and I can easily burn anywhere from 600 - 800 calories doing a 45 minute kettlebell workout.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've also just started the KettleWorx 6 week program (finished week one tonight).

I had 20, 35 and 45 pound kettle bells and ended up buying a 10 pounder (not ashamed to admit it!).

Here's the deal. Certain of the exercises I could certainly use a higher weight -- much higher (e.g., I bought the 45 pounder to do kettle bell swings), but certain exercises I could not use the 20 pounder effectively (in part due to surgery on both shoulders, and in part as it is a continuous 20 minutes of exercise).

I'm thinking of trying to figure out a way to have both the 10 and 20 pound kettle bells handy, but not in the way, so that I can do a very rapid switchover during the course of the workout.

Having said that, I'd say, "The better part of valor is discretion"!

On the other hand, I am not familiar with the other brands, which may be more suited towards using a higher weight.

So a precise recommendation is difficult when you factor all that in, plus us not knowing your own personal situation re: fitness/strength/cardo conditioning.

Do you have access to something you can use as a proxy for the kettle bells before making a purchase? I'm thinking of something like a dumbbell at a gym or something -- watching the DVD and then going through the exercises with it (carefully!!).

Good luck and have fun -- I'm really enjoying it!
  • jbosey
    Options
    Too late to work into this with something else! (I get in a rush when I want to do something) I ordered one of the 25 lb Bob Harper contour shaped kettlebell. I found it on his website for over $95 and started checking and found the same one on www.gofit.net for $65 and then found the same one on www.target.com for $59 so I ordered it. Everything that I read said a male should start out between 25lbs and 35lbs. I got a feeling I should have started lighter! I will take it easy for the first few days and see how it goes.
  • VidaMia
    VidaMia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You will like the contour KB. I have several. Going for 35# next purchase. I own multiple DVDs and rotate through. I suggest watching some great tips from Geoff Neupert and Chris Lopez. Both know their stuff and are RKC certified. You'll love them!
  • jbosey
    Options
    Yes, Im going to watch a LOT of instruction before I actually start this program. I would not like swinging that weight into my knee or somewhere more painful!
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    JB, I love the contoured KBs too. As far as Bob's instruction, he is who I started with and I think he has good form. I took a few bootcamp classes and asked the instructor to show me proper form, and it was just like Bob's. I'm confident I'm swinging correctly. :) Good luck and let us know how you like it once you start.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I bought a great beginner Kettlebell dvd from here.
    http://www.mbodystrength.com/store?page=shop.browse&category_id=8

Its only $14.99. it comes with a 6 week schedule and consist of 6 workouts. The first three get you started and are only about 15 min long but then they work you into the next three workouts that are about 30 minutes long. Comes with an instructional dvd as well. I followed the six week program and then bought the advanced dvd. Much harder, longer workouts and you use two kettlebells.
    There are some demo videos of the dvds as well. They also have a lot of free workouts available on the site and on Youtube but they are not full length work along routines like the dvd's.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    And you can also buy kettlebells off ebay pretty reasonable if you shop around.
  • bchristopher11
    bchristopher11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and i have been doing kettleworx for the past couple of months. Theres three types of workouts you do a week, and theres different levels each week. So, it starts out at a fairly beginner level and progresses the longer you use it. Check it out!