Spinning

Options
Hey guys! Just looking for people who are into spin! I started spin about 3 weeks ago and I do a little a day and each day I can do a little more! Just looking for support from fellow spinners!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do spinning and I love it!! I spin 2-3 times a week! Do you have the shoes? They make a difference in your workout! Let me know if you have any questions, I am not an expert but I do enjoy the sport!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I've never done it, but I would love to start! :D I'm always looking for new fun workouts.
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I love spinning too! I do it 2-3 times a week along with my runs. It's not easy by any means but I always feel great when I'm done. Nice calorie burn too!! I'm not an expert either but would love the support as well....feel free to add me if you would like!! Enjoy your spinning!
  • dorkynerd
    dorkynerd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning! I will be starting week 3 tomorrow. (I go Mon, Wed, and Fri) I love it and it has really gotten me to improve in my running!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ok this sounds dumb... but what is spinning? is it using and excercycle?
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I take a spin class at my college 2x a week! LOVE IT! I think it has really helped me drop my baby belly :)
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I've been spinning for two years - I spin anywhere from 3-6 times a week. I love it. The music and instructor make all the difference in the world!

Keep at it. You can do it!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I had my first 45 minute class last Tuesday and I have been in pain since thanks to those bloody awful seats. Lol. Enjoyed the class though.

If anyone has any tips on how not to have so much pain courtesy of those seats I would gladly take them. Lol.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've been doing spin for about a month! It's addicting!
  • CollegeGirl19
    Options
    I spin 2-3 times a week at my uni! Favorite workout ever and I have become pretty good friends with the instructors because I go so often.
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am joining a gym next weekend and they have a spin class. I've seen it on tv, but I am wondering how fit you should be to start and I'm scared and a little intimidated (ok alot). How was it when you all started?
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    3 days a week, shoes and padded shorts make all the difference in the world.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Anyone care to explain whats the difference between "spinning" and just using a stationary bike or are they the same thing?
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Adjust the tension to your own level. In several weeks you'll be a pro. Push out of your comfort zone each time a little bit more. It's a great workout. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. It's YOUR workout. It's a great calorie crusher! Set your mind to it and you'll do just fine. Everyone starts somewhere.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Glad I came across this post... I was just mentioning in my status that I want to trade my recumbent bike for a spinning bike. I NEVER tried spinning before.... Anyone have any tips? What are the shoes someone mentioned??? Thanks! :smile:
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    They make padded bike shorts :-) I think mine are champion brand. They aren't the most comfortable to move in but really help on the bike, I've also seen ppl bring the gel bike seat covers they sell at Walmart and just put it on before class. Good luck with that I remember that pain...ouch! But stick with it cuz its fun ;)
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Spin shoes clip into the pedals. They help pull up during the pedal stroke. Make sure the instructor helps set the bike up to your proportions. Don't plop into the seat......use your legs to lower yourself down......this will help with soreness. On the bikes at our gym the wheel weighs about 30 lbs, I think that's the difference with a recumbent bike (but don't quote me on it)
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I looovvveee spin! I take a super intense spin class on Monday nights and usually end up doing my own programs for cardio a few times a week. It's really helped with my running endurance and lower body strength. :)
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love spinning and usually do it twice a week at the RPM class at my local gym. RPM is a proprietary version of spinning created by Les Mills, with choreographed moves set to music. It's interval training, with a "ride easy" followed by a "race," standing up on the bike, etc. I find it very demanding, especially since our instructor likes to add a few songs to the basic class. It's a high-energy workout that always leaves me feeling as if I've expanded my lung capacity and am breathing more deeply. Another thing I like about it is that it doesn't hurt my knees, hips or back, unlike some other activities I have tried.
    When I started doing it we were told we could burn up to 700 calories in a 45-minute RPM class, but I think that was overly optimistic. At least for me, age 66 and missing a metabolism, I think it's more like 300-400 in a one-hour class.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Spinning is an instructor led class using specially designed stationary bikes set to usually fast paced music. The instructor takes the class essentially on a simulated bicycle ride, which contains flat roads with speed, and combinations of hills of varying inclines. This is done by varying the resistance knob and also by varying the positions on the bike (seated, standing/jogging, or in a hill climbing stance over the handlebars. and/or "jumping" which is just alternating these stances back and forth). It is usually an intense interval workout, just like if you were on a real bike ride. There are endless combinations that can be done. Most classes I've taken have been 45 mins. to 60 mins.

I love spinning it changed my life. I do it 3 times a week now which is plenty given the intensity of my instructors. Generally burn around 800 calories for a 45 min. class. I am 280 pounds and if I can do it anyone can. Good luck to the OP and glad you are spinning!!!