training for a warrior dash

Options
I am considering doing a Warrior Dash in August but I am still not sure yet. I do not have very much upper body strength at all so I am conserned about having to climb or pull my self up/over anything. I have also herd that it is better to do it with a group of people so you can help eachother out but I would (most likely) be doing it on my own if I decide to do it. What is the best way to prepair myself? Should I focus mostly on upper body strength? Thanks :)

Replies

• ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Great question...I too am planning on participating in my area. I hear it's great fun but still challenging. I'm in the same boat w/ having little upper body strength. Hope you get some good responses. I say go for it!
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did the warrior dash in Maryland last year! I have really pathetic upper body strength. There were some obsticles where I could have used more strength like the 4' high walls we had to climb over. Luckily I'm tall so it wasn't that bad, jumping got me most of the way there. There was a really high cargo net but I used my legs more than my arms to climb it. Honestly, I didn't specifically train for it and it was fine. You just have to have a certain amount of gumption. Tell yourself that giving up is not an option and you'll make it through just fine.

Don't worry about sticking out either. I saw everything from hard core athletes to people who took 1.5+ hours to get around. I think it took me about 43 minutes and I was middle of the pack, maybe a little faster than the median.

HAVE FUN!!!
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Warrior Dash in September in TN. I'm about to join a gym to start serious strength training. I can currently run a solid mile but I have virtually no upper body strength except lifting my 18 lb little boy.
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My friend found a training schedule and videos on the website in the info section under "training": http://warriordash.com/info.php

Warrior Type: Virgin Warrior

Time to begin preparing for Warrior Dash so the guy in the bright pink tutu doesn't beat you. You are the Virgin Warrior - you own a set of dumbbells, but they are currently being used as doorstops and paperweights. You'd like to be more active, but thinking about it makes you tired and your TV schedule just won't allow it. The only thing getting you through this three mile obstacle course, is the thought of a cold beer and turkey leg waiting for you at the finish line. You don't want to win Warrior Dash - you just want to finish.

Begin your training six to seven weeks before the race. You should perform three of the listed strength exercises, two to three days a week. Make sure you cycle the exercises in order to achieve a full body workout. Read below for helpful gym and cardio timelines:

Strength Timeline:

Week 1-2: Pick your preferred three exercises and then perform each exercise for one minute, with a minute rest between exercises. Try to do as many reps as you can in that minute. *
    Week 3-4: Exercise for two minutes with one minute rest between exercises. Do as many reps as you can in the two minutes.
    Week 5-7: Exercise for two minutes with 30 seconds rest between exercises. Do as many reps as you can in the two minutes. Take two to three days off prior to Warrior Dash to ensure that your body is fully prepared for the Battleground.

Cardio Timeline:

Week 1-2: Run/walk for 30 minutes two times a week
    Week 3-4: Run/walk for 30 minutes two times a week
    Week 5-7: Run for 45 minutes three times week*

*Or do a cardio workout of your choice
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Don't be unsure. Just do it. Absolutely. You will survive and you will have fun.

I'm signed up to do something similar in April. I'm expecting to feel 1 part badass, 1 part silly, 1 part awesome (ok, mb that overlaps with badass, but I wanted to mention).

I think I'd be fine if I just did it. But here's what I do partly to prepare, partly to just get/stay in shape for life:

-strength training 3 x week (new rules)
    -run .25 miles, do 15 pushups, 15 BW squats, repeat, for 30 or so minutes
    -started recently to do trail running. it's muddy and hilly and beautiful.
    -a couple of times i have pushed some 7 year olds off the monkey bars to give it a go. my arm sockets don't feel comfy, i'm not going to lie. but it's fun. to kick 7 year olds off the monkey bars.

you don't have to do all that, though. just show up, do the best you can on the route and enjoy that beer afterwards. people will help you along the way if you need it. and then you'll have that viking hat to post in your profile pic. badass!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I didn't do the warrior dash, but I did something similar, and the hardest part was the actual race. I would focus on Couch to 5K or another program to help you work up to running/jogging a 5K without getting super winded. Next would be upper body strength to get over walls. It helps if you have a teammate, or most people who are also doing it will offer to help you over if you need it.

Good luck! I bet you will have a lot of fun :flowerforyou:
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A group of us are doing it in either June, Aug, or Sept- have to get the date that gets the most of us there.

My sister did it last year, was training for the Tough mudder this year but is currently awaiting an MRI for possible ACL tear.

She said the tough mudder is more upper body and the warrior is a little more endurance.

Good luck, I am hoping to be ready for when we do it as well!!!!

Add me and maybe we can keep our training updates in sync and encourage each other
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    as Nike says.. Just do it.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Warrior Dash shouldn't be a problem, I don't have much upper body strength either.

Tough Mudder on the other hand.......
  • princessmikayla5
    princessmikayla5 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I are planning on signing up for the September Warrior Dash in our state. We are already doing p90x, and we are going to add in some running. Hopefully that will be enough! We are really looking forward to it.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just do it!!

People who do the Warrior Dash are awesome! Someone will shove you over the wall if you're desperate.

The worst thing that can happen is that you skip an obstacle which removes you from the reader boards but hey, you still got out there and did it!!

I'm going this year with my husband and so he'll help me but if I get stuck and have to go around I don't even care! It's not about an official time for me.

At least I got out there and did something BRAVE and EXCITING!!
  • Tony1966
    Options
    I'm a former Marine and retired Soldier. I would suggest do as much upper body as you can to get stronger but also the best way to do something is to just do it. Practice the warrior dash, especially the obstacles that are more difficult for you. Try to make it fun and if you can get a team of friends to help, if possible. In the Marines, we used to use four-person teams and work together. The stronger ones can help the weaker and make you all better. It can be fun and very rewarding. Good luck.
    Retired-Soldier.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump