c25k - now I understand why people run faster in races

Options
So I got DH to join me with c25k. He doesn't really work out but is starting to join me with this and some weights...

Well today he starts w1d2. This is his first day doing it outside, we did a treadmill the other time. I took longer getting ready so had to wait for my phone to get a gps lock with the app and he started before me (its a timed one but I like the gps to tell me how fast I'm going.

Well DH walks much faster then me... due to this he didn't even run all the run intervals (he skipped one and just walked during it and he still finished in front of me... his time was better then my week 1 times were by far...

well having him in front of me the whole time, I ran my fastest yet... average time being only 14.25 min per mile (not counting warm up and cool down).

So its great that he is getting me to do better (I didn't feel much worse after so it was good to push a bit more and see what I could do) but a part of me is just a bit jealous that he is doing so well already... I expected him to lift more then me right away but not to be faster too!

Replies

• DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Sometime in a race I'll see someone close to my age group that looks like they're trying to pass me and I can't stand it, I have to pick it up to stay ahead. A little competition is good for you.
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just curious...how far do you go during each workout? I just finished week 2 day 3 on a track and I have been going 2 miles exactly. Is this too little?? I'm not sure how to calculate how fast I'm running my miles with the 5 min warm up and cool down at the end...
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do mine on the treadmill, and I'm only on w1d2 (well 3 now). Anyways, I warm up at 2.5, walk at 3.0, and run at 5.0 (short legs) haha! Yesterday, my boyfriend went to the gym with me and lifted while I ran. Seeing him push through the pain made me wanna amp up my speed! I ended up running three of the intervals at 5.5! Still not as fast as a lot of people, but I was excited! I think having other people around pushes you to do your best :)
    I went 2.3 miles the other day and 1.8 on my first day.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My week 2 run yesterday was 1.9 miles counting the warm up and cool down. Although I end up going a bit over 2 by the time I finish walking home after.

This is just a circuit around some of the roads near my house though so includes slowing down at an intersection if a car is coming, the small hill in the middle of the run, etc. When I did a treadmill I believe I went further but can't remember what the numbers were.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump