Best workouts for those with a lot to lose

Options
Hi - I have about 85 lbs I want to lose between now and the end of the year. Since January I have been doing cardio about five times a week usually for 30 mins to an hour. I have been focusing on cardio because I am really try to burn fat and calories vs. tone. Therefore, I have not been doing a lot of strength training or other sculpting like exercises.
Is this the right way to go? I am thinking that once I get to around 50 lbs left to lose then I can focus more on building strength up and toning.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Replies

• purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You really should incorporate some resistance training into your workouts for the best results. Cardio alone will not get you the resuls you want.
  • adammccrady
    adammccrady Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started out on an elliptical. I did the built-in programs until i got down to a weight where I felt comfortable pushing myself. 30 Minutes programs... If you have a lot to lose, DIET is the key. Change your diet, and ease into exercise slowly. You don't want to get hurt and/or discouraged.
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I asked a question similar to this and everyone said adding some strength training is beneficial! I'm gonna try it! :)
  • summerlancaster
    Options
    I started out on an elliptical. I did the built-in programs until i got down to a weight where I felt comfortable pushing myself. 30 Minutes programs... If you have a lot to lose, DIET is the key. Change your diet, and ease into exercise slowly. You don't want to get hurt and/or discouraged.

I agree 100%!!! I've lost 50 and have another 50-70 to go... The first 30 came off with just diet change alone.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I added resistance training after I lost 30 pounds. I love it because I feel so much stronger. But it did stall my weight loss, so I recommend waiting a bit.
  • CSummers316
    Options
    I have done strength training and Cardio since Day One. Strength Training provides a much better after b urn and helps add muscle while burning the fat.

On gym days i do 30 - 50 minutes of weight training and then do 35 - 65 minutes of elliptical.

Definitely add in weights
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Any workout is better than no workout at all....however, strength training combined with moderate cardio is the way to go.
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think everyone may be different, but I've lost most of my weight so far from doing cardio 5x/week. I've been sporadic at best with weight training. The last few weeks I've consistently done it once a week and I'm hoping to get up to twice a week. In the long term I think it's good for me, but it's harder for me to measure progress. I would like to get Venus or Serena Williams type arms. Currently, I get great satisfaction from seeing my weight decrease every week with the cardio work.