Shin splints

Options
I have been running and have started to develop the dreaded shin splints. What stretches can I do before/after running to help with this? I know I need a new pair of shoes but it isn't in the budget right now.

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Go to runnersworld.com they have a video section of stretches for runners and some are for specific injuries or pains. Hope this helps:smile:
  • JLEC77
    JLEC77 Posts: 9
    Options
    I get shin splints too. After you run: put your feet up and ICE, ICE, ICE! 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off, at least four times. When it's in your budget, get those new shoes - I use the Nike Air Pegasus, and though they are expensive, I haven't (knock on wood) had shin splints since I started wearing them.

You might look at your running style too...do you land heavily on your heels or toes? Sometimes just getting a little lighter on your feet helps too.

Good luck!
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: A good pair of Polysorb by Spenco to put in your running shoes helps tremendously and they only cost $10.00. You should be able to get them at any athletic shoe store!
  • kdblev
    kdblev Posts: 18
    Options
    We used to cross one leg in front of the other (lower legs) with the front foot pointed and tops of toes on the floor. The bend your knees down a bit to put pressure on that front leg..not too much! It will stretch the shin. I hope that makes sense, not sure how to explain it better.
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    Options
    stretch your calves out really good before & after running. And ICE, ICE, ICE!
  • SpiveyMay
    SpiveyMay Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shin splints can be caused from fallen arches. When I played ball in high school, I used to roll a can under each foot to strengthen my arches. This seem to help me.
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I rub zheng gu shui on before I go running and it really helps, I got it from a naturopath, it's a chinese medicine. Years ago I used it and got some acupuncture as well and withing a week I had no problems at all. Having a little trouble now I am over weight, maybe I should do it again. Apparently tight clafs cause shin splints so I stretch my calves both with bent leg and straight leg (bent leg does lower calf) and I also point my toes and put top of foot on ground to stretch out the shins as much as possible. Lots of stretching after warmup before running and after running. My legs are only having a little trouble occasionally, I always give them a day off between walks/runs. Anyway hope it helps! All the best with it, don't give up!:wink: