weekend eating!!!!!

Options
ok..here is the thing..i'm so good all week and once the weekend gets here i want everything..i do watch what i eat..but if we go to friends or family or a birthday party..i feel the need to eat and than i just say to myself..this is a bad day that turns into a bad weekend:explode:
so.. how do i get myself out of this bad habit?

Replies

• vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    I would like some help on this too...as I have the same problem. It seems as if since I started back eating right, there has been some kind of birthday party, baby shower, cookout.etc.. every weeknd! I do GREAT during the week and usually for the first part of saturday, but sat afternoon- sunday evening I do horrible!
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Be a bit more confident in yourself. Give yourself some credit and don't beat yourself up for a cookie or a drink. Maybe if you don't have the highest expectations, you'll feel ok about eating a bite, but be capable to control having more than that one bite.

Is it your body asking for "everything", or is it your mind? Make your mind listen to your body. :flowerforyou:

huh, look who's talking :embarassed: (I'm still trying to learn that "we eat to live, not live to eat" :blushing: )
  • squib
    squib Posts: 34
    Options
    Be a bit more confident in yourself. Give yourself some credit and don't beat yourself up for a cookie or a drink. Maybe if you don't have the highest expectations, you'll feel ok about eating a bite, but be capable to control having more than that one bite.

Is it your body asking for "everything", or is it your mind? Make your mind listen to your body. :flowerforyou:

huh, look who's talking :embarassed: (I'm still trying to learn that "we eat to live, not live to eat" :blushing: )

I still have some problem to remember that ( "we eat to live, not live to eat" ) I always remember about it only after I have once again stuffed my face with enormous amount of yummy food :laugh:
    live and learn :drinker:
  • Trainhard911
    Trainhard911 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i have the same deal....i work soooo hard during the week meeting my calories etc but on the weekend the social person i am i splurge and have a few cocktails or if at a get together i make some really good choices but then splurge a little. i feel so bad afterwards because i exceed by calorie requirements by doing this and feel horrible plus all that i worked off during the weekend i just wasted away.

I do feel however, you should be able to splurge a little life is short so for me i have come to realize you may have to do a little extra cardio or less calorie intake to cover the weekend or work out both days during the weekend even if its 30 minute walk or whatever, swim, and try to incorporate some further walking from your car etc. Also maybe pick either saturday or sunday as a cheat day and eat what want consciouly though don't go way overboard but this is the one day you look forward to all week and can have what you want when you want
  • Pneko
    Pneko Posts: 9
    Options
    I tend to do that when I am over at my boyfriends house. He always has so kind of super bad but good food there. I have worked on just saying no to some things. Its not like the pie will disappear off the face of the earth. I can always have it another day...or can I
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I am with you all too! I do very well all week then the weekend coming and I get off track. This month has been hard every weekend I've had a grad party ofr bbq to go too! I start off with a game plan in my head then over eat. I guess were human! It really sinks in when I get on the scale in the morning after the weekend and it's gone up then I realize that I need to stop over eating on the weekend but it happens again!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. We went to a party on Friday and what DIDN'T I eat :sad: YOu ruin all of your hard work for one meal?! what a joke, I hate when that happens. I did however work very hard that day and stayed active during the weekend. Just try and work out the day that you think you might sabatoge and get back in it the next day. That's the best and only think Icould come up with :embarassed:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    It's not so much the eating but the alcohol consumption. I'm good most of the week, maybe a glass of wine or two, but come weekend I just want to cut lose and have a few drinks.
    I try to forgive myself after it happens. That way the guilt is not ever consuming and I can move on with my life and nutrition journey. Can let a bad meal/weekend make a bad week or month either.
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    I always try to plug in all my food for the day (including my weekend wine) in MFP first thing in the morning. If I go over my alotted calories or fat, I add some cardio for the day. I do a very challenging three-hour hike most weekends, and that helps a lot.
  • rosson
    rosson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this problem. I eat like a bird all week and work out like crazy. Once the weekend gets here all bets are off. I eat almost everything in sight. I did notice this weekend I ate alot more junk because there wasn't any fruit around. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow. My plan for next weekend is to plan out my meals/snacks and stick to it. This way I won't get too hungry and will already know what I'm going to eat.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    What I find works for me is I eat before I go to an event then I don't eat when I get there. I find that if I say no to everything it prevents me from eating things that are unhealthy. OH! and gum. Chew gum while you are there because when you have gum in your mouth you have to make a conscious decision to eat and won't mindlessly graze. Another way is, if you have a lot of events to go to this summer, decide in advance which ones you are going to relax your eating at. For instance, I'm going to a wedding in August with a sit down dinner and neither entree is very healthy, so I've already decided that I'm not going to be TOO concerned with what I eat while I'm there. Knowing I have the wedding makes it less tempting to make unhealthy choices now.

If you have trouble eating while you are sitting at home, it's probably because you are bored so DO something even if it's just play a video game (I :heart: Wii) because if your hands and mind are busy they can't be used to eat. :bigsmile:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I do great during the work week (Which is only 4 days for me); I think it's the structure and the schedule...as soon as I'm home all day with the kids I lose all will power. I'm trying to make my weekends more structured and remind myself to track my cals in the morning and stick to it.
    Best of luck to us all...we have 5 days to prepare for the next one :tongue:
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Oh and I am sooooooooo worried about this weekend b/c its the 4th, I say now that I will only drink one alcoholic beverage or only have good for me food....but it's gonna b so hard mostly on the alcohol part b/c all of my friends are big drinkers especially on a holiday weekend....i guess i just gotta psych myself up to do good!!!!!
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Since you are having a hard time trying to stay within you cal range, I was just wondering have you ever thought of zig zagging your cals. I am including a link that will explain it better than I can. but please remeber that MFP already has built in a 500 calorie deficit into your cals per day. I also use to have the problem with the weekends eatting to much or the wrong foods ect.. until I relized that I give myself permission to have what ever I want when I want. When I started to do that I began not wanting to eat alot of the bad foods most of the time. Also it will help if you eat something before you go to the birthday parties, bbq's, ect.. Bring some healthy snacks with you so you can munch on thoose instead of all of the bad stuff all the time.
    Here is the link: just copy and paste into your browser
    http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/calorie-shifting.html
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Two words. Turkey burgers. Especially for that cookout coming this weekend! Get some lean turkey meat and add some good spices and veggies. Find some healthier alternatives to the general cook out stuff. Offer to make a dip out of greek yogurt instead of sour cream or bring baked chips. There are plenty of things you can have at a cookout that don't bounce you over your calories.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest issue! Saturdays are the hardest for me because it is family day and the only day that my partner has off work, so he doesn't want a plan witch I can understand. The plan is not having a plan :) we just see where we end up. But that isn't good when your trying to eat better. He knows I am being good so we don't go to fast food, but it is hard to just get a salad when everyone else has yummy food. My kids like to share also...this is so good have a bite mommy...Then my 3 year old told me the other day "Mommy, you always say that I am beautiful just the way I am, but you told Daddy that you can't eat chips until your butt gets smaller, don't you think you are beautiful with your BIG butt?" lol I almost cried I was laughing so hard all I said was "I thought you were in bed" oops!

228826.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • kryoung
    kryoung Posts: 10
    Options
    Okay, I read through it all and like most people, I hear you!
    I tried the whole - eat like a baby chick through the week and cheat on the weekends - and it didn't REALLY work, I was maintaining my weight, but not loosing.
    SOOO I had to change. Here are my tips.

- When with family (like the cottage) I bring healthy foods I can eat and share and I stick to them.

- I am honest and open to the people around me that I'm trying to live healthier, they now are encouraged to cut out the crap too. Set an example.

- I loved the comment when referring to get-togethers that have food involved. Eat a salad before you go because if you arrive hungry - LOOK OUT!

- Have ONE cheat day that lets you have a piece of cake and a drink or two. But remember PORTION IT! And if you randomly feel hungry for junk, picture a serving of meat, if your not craving steak, chances are your minds playing tricks on you. Do everything you can to not let that cheat day end-up a 3 day binge.

- When it comes to drinks remember that one drink is a vasodialator (more blood flow = healthy)- any more than that is poison or vasoconstrictor (decreased blood flow to organs, brain = unhealthy).

- Look at the weekenders around you eating away. Chances are they are not fit - if you want to be fit, don't be like THEM. Fit healthy people don't eat a ton of crap and neither should you.

- If you grab a plate of food that was way too big for your belly - stop, don't finish it. The host probably wont mind.

good luck!
  • lynnie25
    lynnie25 Posts: 93
    Options
    i thought i was the only one on this....so here is the things ladies we all need to try really hard to be good on the weekend..i know its hard i'm right there with all of you..but all we can do this..if we can just get pass one day than there is no reason why we cant make it threw the next..i'm not saying dont have any just have a little..so this way we dont blow all of our hard work that we do during the week...if all you ladies are in..just let me know...GO LADIES WE CAN DO THIS....GO GO GO :bigsmile: :wink: :happy:
  • lynnie25
    lynnie25 Posts: 93
    Options
    Okay, I read through it all and like most people, I hear you!
    I tried the whole - eat like a baby chick through the week and cheat on the weekends - and it didn't REALLY work, I was maintaining my weight, but not loosing.
    SOOO I had to change. Here are my tips.

- When with family (like the cottage) I bring healthy foods I can eat and share and I stick to them.

- I am honest and open to the people around me that I'm trying to live healthier, they now are encouraged to cut out the crap too. Set an example.

- I loved the comment when referring to get-togethers that have food involved. Eat a salad before you go because if you arrive hungry - LOOK OUT!

- Have ONE cheat day that lets you have a piece of cake and a drink or two. But remember PORTION IT! And if you randomly feel hungry for junk, picture a serving of meat, if your not craving steak, chances are your minds playing tricks on you. Do everything you can to not let that cheat day end-up a 3 day binge.

- When it comes to drinks remember that one drink is a vasodialator (more blood flow = healthy)- any more than that is poison or vasoconstrictor (decreased blood flow to organs, brain = unhealthy).

- Look at the weekenders around you eating away. Chances are they are not fit - if you want to be fit, don't be like THEM. Fit healthy people don't eat a ton of crap and neither should you.

- If you grab a plate of food that was way too big for your belly - stop, don't finish it. The host probably wont mind.

good luck!

i so agree with you..i'm really going to try this and its going to be this up coming weekend and i will let you know how i make out...thank you..for the helpful info:happy:
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    Weekend eating is my weakness also. This weekend was bad, I gained back 3 lbs ????. If I know ahead that I will go some eating events, I eat ahead at home since I can't resist the party food. Then when I was there I just have a taste of everything ... just a taste. My problem is unexpected events. I have a problem when I go over someone house and they want me to stay for dinner by order out
    pizza or chinese food.. or want to go out to chinese restaurant. .. then I will eat over calorie. :frown: