Benefits of Cinnamon

Options
Okay, so I started today taking a half a teaspoon of cinnamon bc I heard that it can lower blood sugar.....is this too much? Please help!

Replies

• SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that...but there are some very funny video's on youtube if you google cinnamon challenge! :)
  • bamitsbecca
    Options
    I've heard it's also good for boosting your metabolism! And I think 1/2 tsp is perfectly fine.. if you add it to 1/2 cup of natural, no sugar added apple sauce you have a great snack for about 50 calories :)
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Thanks ya'll!!
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is great for helping with your blood sugar - we put some in our coffee grinds and add to to lots of other stuff. I'm not sure if 1/2 tsp is enough or not but it's not going to hurt you any. It's considered a 'superfood' by some. :)
  • DRDancer
    DRDancer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon is good in smoothies too.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have cinnamon capsules, the recommended serving is 1000 mg, promotes sugar metabolism, heart and circulatory health. I found it was a bit gross trying to take it in water, etc. The capsules are available at rite-aide or natural food stores. If you are taking the raw cinnamon, I would suggest a teaspoon per day.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've read that it can help prevent diabetes. I put a lot in my oatrmeal and green tea and anything else it tastes good with.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    1/2 a teaspoon is perfect :) You just don't want to do anymore than 1 tsp per day.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Really helps to curb sugar cravings.
    Also has benefits for women with PCOS
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I use 1 teaspoon in my coffee every day!
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ooo I must try that in my coffee. I lovelovelove cinamon - have it in my porridge every day (and I've noticed my children are definitely developing a taste for it too!)
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You just don't want to do anymore than 1 tsp per day.

Ehm, why?
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    whole grain bread + egg whites + cinnamon = Best french toast ever!!!

I eat it on a regular basis.... I guess its my addiction
  • LemonDiva
    Options
    I have cinnamon tablets from the health food store... to day I ate some sweet jellies ( so stupid) and because I did n't want a big sugar hit I took the cinnamon tab... seems to work well...
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options

A scientific study shows the health benefits of cinnamon are NOT dose dependent. Furthermore, no adverse health effects were shown in those taking up to 6g of cinnamon per day (this amount is far more than 1 tsp). Taking 1g of cinnamon produced the same effects as taking 6g.

Here's the actual study for those of you interested in reading the primary literature:
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/12/3215.long
  • LemonDiva
    Options
    Thanks snugglesworth great help
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Ehm, why?

It can be toxic
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Really helps to curb sugar cravings.
    Also has benefits for women with PCOS
    I've heard about the benefits for women with PCOS/insulin resistance but that's not why I have it. I just love the taste. I put a little into my oatmeal every morning.