Diseases making it hard to work out at all?

Options
Is there anyone else out there that is having a hard time working out or has gained weight from a disease or medication?
I had always been extremely fit my whole life and to this day still eat extremely healthy ( except for the occasional treat daddy will bring home for me =] ) but since i've become i'll over 6 years ago, going through treatment and the disease its self have made it nearly impossible to do anything. im pretty much confined to my bed most days but I try to get in at five to ten minutes of some type of exercise not matter how small but its becoming more and more depressing. The meds have made me gain almost 75 pounds and normally i've been able to lose it after treatment but this round has been longer and stronger than we had anticipated. I've been sick for years so its not like this is all new to me but i not sure how to cope because im getting worse and im only 18 it seems there's not much help else where on the internet for younger people who are sick. I was just wondering if there's anyone else on here, even older people, that might be going through the same thing and might have any advice whether its for getting through the mental part of this or the physical.
Thank you =]

Replies

• missypeepers
    missypeepers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are as ill as you are - and so young. I am a "very young" grandma - being very young at heart. I have several immune diseases that keep me very tired and now throw in congestive heart failure- so working out it very limited for me.

I am very surprised that there has not been a long thread as surely there has to be many more out there that are not physically healthy and able to exercise for more than a few minutes at a time and then that is it. I actually am on medication that prevents my heart rate from raising which means the metb stays very low.

I am so sorry that you are ill, I really am, you are so young.
  • kelsgrenier
    kelsgrenier Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you replying. The only thing i found on the internet about not being able to workout for long periods of time was more from morbidly obese people, maybe i wasn't looking in the right places but i feel its harder to relate with them because the reason are so different.

Im sorry to hear that you have congestive heart failure and immune problems, it's pretty crummy when your body betrays you but it's great that you are exercising and keeping active. I love to hear about people who have a set back and don't let it bring their lives to a stop but control it and try to improve it. =]
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, you have more will power than I do. I would end up lying about feeling sorry for myself lol. I hope whatever it is, you get better, and soon.
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey girl- I have had my share of health issues, too, and have had periods where it has kept me from being able to work out much. I completely understand how frustrating it gets. I'm not sure exactly what you are sick with... but I am a nurse and work with patients that have issues like this a lot. If you want, send me a message with more details of what it is you are facing (your weight/condition/restrictions, etc.) and maybe I can help offer you some advice and offer you some support? Hang in there!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have a disease that involves massive hormone treatments. With my treatments, I have been steadily gaining weight since 2007-08, these past two years the most, it would seem. I need to lose a total of 51 pounds of the weight gained. I have pulled myself off of most of my meds because I am going with a different approach, as the hormone switches didnt even seem to be working. Time for something new, for me. Good luck, and I am very pleased to see that you are pushed through. It is easy to give up.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea to talk to your doctor about what physical activity he or she might recommend considering the ailments/illness you have. When you have serious medical problems you want to be sure to get advice from someone who is knowlegible and knows your medical past so the advice can be specific.

I really hope and pray that your treatments are successful and that you regain your strength and health.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    So very sorry you are struggling with this. I have Osteoarthritis and at times it can be overwhelming.

Not sure what you are fighting but I would ask your doctor about physical therapy. They may be able to give some exercises. What about hand or ankle weights you could use in bed?
  • mtnyoda
    Options
    @aimssc--I'm sorry that medications and treatments have made you gain weight and feel unhappy with the results. But please talk to your doctor before pulling yourself off medications. I don't know what you are on, but some of the medications can have bad consequences if stopped abruptly. Corticosteroids (which would cause weight gain) is one of those drugs. I understand the frustration as I have had my share of medical issues at a young age, but make sure you aren't damaging your body further by changing things on your own.
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a skin disease that makes working out very painful. I usually do it anyways. Except on days like today where the pain is just too much to bare. I'm running on forks!
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh your post just makes me want to cry, especially since you are so young.

I'm really struggling with exercise too due to an injury. How do you exercise when you can barely walk to the kitchen? So I think I understand a tiny bit of what you're going through.

There's a lot of different forms of exercise. Things like Zumba are probably out of your reach right now (and mine too), but there are lower impact exercises that might work. Have you looked at Pilates, Yoga, or Tai Chi? Those are generally slow-moving exercises that focus on building core strength, not bouncing around and sweating. Some of them you can probably even do in bed. I was skeptical of Tai Chi, but I went to a class at the Y and was surprised how good of a workout it was. There's a bunch of free Tai Chi videos on YouTube. And if you can build some core strength, you may be able to do more for longer periods. Look for isometric exercises online. There's all kinds of things you can do that don't require a lot of movement or activity.

From your photo, you are a beautiful young woman. Don't lose hope, you will find a way. I hope you recover soon and I wish you all the best.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Hope you start feeling better soon.

A couple of years ago I was feeling dizzy and had some a number of tests to try and work out what it was, by chance I had a scan in which they discovered a tumour in what looked to be my liver, after further tests they determined the tumour was actually inside my kidney and luckily benign. At first there were no symptoms but last year the pain in my kidney grew, at that point I wasn't getting out and gained further weight. Last summer I had further scans in which they discovered the tumour had grown to 7x6x5cm so in November last year I had renal embolisation, they inserted a tumour up through my renal artery to the tumour inside the kidney and blocked off a few arteries that were feeding it. Since then I've been at home recovering, when I was first out of hospital I had to be taken to the bathroom, had to have sponge baths and was unable to move, plus I was on a lot of pain medication. Since then even though I'm still recovering and the tumour will hopefully be still shrinking (will find out if it's worked next week fingers crossed) I've tried to exercise a little each day, even though it hurts my kidneys (doctor said it would be okay to do) I've experimented and found things that I can do, low impact aerobics are great, I've even done chairobics, Yoga is too painful.

Even though the recovery is slow I keep reminding myself how much I've improved, and people have said they are amazed by what I'm dedicated to doing exercise wise. I can only do it with the help of pain relief but I feel better in myself for doing it. On top of that I'm waiting to start treatment to help me with my periods as I get heavy painful periods, sometimes I'd find myself waking up to vomit because of the pain. not nice.

So keep your chin up, it will get better, try and remain positive.
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have MS, and I have a hard time working out so I eat a lot less. I know not good, but there isn't any other way.
  • kelsgrenier
    kelsgrenier Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. All of your suggestions are so great and i appreciate every single one of them. Unfortunatly i have a disease that is associated with older people so theres not really any support groups or anything that i can relate to. I feel so much less alone with all of your answers. thank you so much.

I hope all of you feel better and have luck with you weight loss and goals.

:happy:
  • beckyboo1080
    beckyboo1080 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    5 years ago, I injured my knees. Come to find out I have osteoarthritis. I am the type of person who can't stand to be sitting still..I have to always be on the go doing something. This diagnosis didn't stop me, I kept moving. But, in the last 2 years, my mobility has decreased as everything I do I am doubled over in pain from my knees. People around me dont understand. They keep saying "stop making excuses, and just go for a run" How can I run, if I can't get up? Yeah, Im overweight, and I know that loosing even 10lbs would help my knees, but moving is a constant pain, literally.

I'm so sorry you are going through this illness. I hope that your health does improve, and you can get your beautiful young life back.
  • txtrace
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this, especially given your young age. Have faith, you'll find something you can do.

I was hit by a drunk driver 2 years ago and as a result I had a severely broken ankle, a hip fracture, pelvic fracture and knee damage. Everything except the ankle is healing well but I'm still having surgeries on my ankle. I have spent a lot of my time on crutches and when I'm not on crutches I'm in enough pain that I can hardly move without crying. Needless to say, the weight just kept going up. Now I'm in an orthopedic boot and I just try to get up and move around the house as much as possible and after much trial and error I've started doing some upper body workouts since that part is ok. I guess what I learned was to be patient, do research, talk to trainers and physical therapists and eventually you find something that, while it still hurts, is doable.

Just keep your head up and know that a solution is out there for you somewhere.
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    More than anything I think you need support. Any exercize you do helps. Watching your calories is #1. Anytime you exercize be so proud of yourself. You deserve it!

As I mentioned before I've got a rare autoimmune disease called MCTD, which is Lupus, scleroderma, dermotomyositis, Ra all together. I also have fibromyalgia. I've lost 53lbs and toned up! I've still got 17-22 lbs still to go. We can encourage each other, and cheer each other up through the tough times.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i have epilepsy and it was controlled for about 12 years until i wanted to be pregnant. it made me gain 30 pounds. with me having seizures around every 3 months consistantly for the past 12 or so months it's been up and down. im glad its not worse but my meds have been hit or miss. good luck to you, and so sorry about your situation.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you (and all of the above posters too!) are going through this.

My own affliction barely compares; I'm posting because it affects my endurance more than anything, and I thought I could add some range to the replies. I have chronic microcytic anemia which makes me tired all the time, and can only work out in short 10-15 minute bursts, having to rest for at least 15 minutes after each round. I've found shorter aerobic videos on youtube that I can keep up with, and that'll have to do. At least it's working; can't really ask for much more than that.

Best of luck to you all.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    @Kels - Working out with a disease can run you down or even not be an option! My mom was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's at the age of 45 and sometimes cannot do even the simplest of movements including picking her hand up. If this is what you are dealing with, let me know & I will help you locate resources. :) she is on here too.
  • louisefrog
    Options
    I can relate to what your going through when i was 10 and dignosed with wegner's granulomatois (sp) and remuthtiod arthrtis at the same time i was put on alot of meds that werent good for me including prednison and it made me gain lots of wait. I was on these meds till i was in my late 20"s when i decied they had to give me something else. today i am 31 and not on any meds but the ocasional ibprofen for pain and still strugle with the fait mostly from fatigue and not being able to exerscise. I just do what i can when i feel i can its a very slow process for me but im not stopping KEEP your head up:flowerforyou: and do what your body will let you.