Absolute newbie to strength training

Options
I need some advice on where to start.

I don't currently have access to a gym and for the next few months that isn't likely to change.

Basically all I have at the moment are a set of dumbbells, with some 0.5kg weights and 1.2kg weights. I can buy better equipment if need be. Thing is I don't know what I should be doing with the things, so any help would be welcome!

Replies

• Mrsairforce
    Options
    Bump for the OP
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    :)
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I haven`t started real strength training yet...but I figure since you are not getting any responses I would give you my 2 cents for what it is worth.

There is a book that I think is called ``New Rules of Lifting For Women`` that is supposed to be quite helpful. I plan on picking this up this week. You probably could even get it from the library. Also, if you google ``weighlifting for women`` you should find some helpful links.

Good luck.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    Thank you, any help is appreciated! I'll check that out
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    lifting is all about lifting heavy...... you need heavier than 1.2kg.

If not going to a gym, id suggest an adjustable dumbell set, and a barbell... both not cheapies.....
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    squats, pushups, push presses, wood chops are good whole body exercises...plenty of videos available on youtube, but you will need a comprehensive program, and I do a 5x5 program, but that's more for building pure muscle.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I need some advice on where to start.

I don't currently have access to a gym and for the next few months that isn't likely to change.

Basically all I have at the moment are a set of dumbbells, with some 0.5kg weights and 1.2kg weights. I can buy better equipment if need be. Thing is I don't know what I should be doing with the things, so any help would be welcome!

Lifting = lifting heavy, otherwise it will be no different than cardio

heavy = 3sets of 8reps
    the 9th rep should be impossible to do due to muscle "failure", where you just cant lift/push the weight anymore no matter what.
    workout should be 45min long to cover upper body fully

Rest between sets must be 3min+!!!!!!!
  • gildinha
    gildinha Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I didn't realise I should only really be lifting heavy. What weight would be the best?
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I didn't realise I should only really be lifting heavy. What weight would be the best?

3 sets of 8 repetitions with 3min break in between sets. you have to figure it out yourself. Noone knows how powerful you are:)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

Hi, I lift heavy, and really only you can answer that question. When I first started I had to experiment with weights for each exercise to find out what the right weight was. For each exercise it should be a weight that you can do no more than 8-10 reps before reaching muscle failure. As you continue your weight lifting routine you will need to increase the weights as you become stronger.
  • Billdavisjr
    Billdavisjr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I have been training for over 20 years and lifting "heavy" is not the only answer. First what is your primary goals? You need to learn your body. If you try lifting heavy first you could jeoperdize your joints. I gain the most size in the 12 rep range and power in the 6-8 rep range.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    Oh I see...well currently my muscles are failing after 8-10 reps with the 1.2...shows how weak I am! Gives me a starting point though.

Thanks for the help :)
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    I disagree. I have been training for over 20 years and lifting "heavy" is not the only answer. First what is your primary goals? You need to learn your body. If you try lifting heavy first you could jeoperdize your joints. I gain the most size in the 12 rep range and power in the 6-8 rep range.

Basically I'm just trying to lose weight and tone up. I just read somewhere on here that cardio isn't enough.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

Basically I'm just trying to lose weight and tone up. I just read somewhere on here that cardio isn't enough.

Lifting heavy should be fine, as long as your careful about it. DON'T worry about bulking up like a male bodybuilder, women just aren't prone to that. We don't have nearly enough testosterone! All through my weight loss I always incorporated some weight training, although I really only started a serious, long routine once I hit my goal weight. The nice thing about lifting weights though, is that the more lean muscle mass you have the more calories your body burns all the time, just living.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've just read New Rules of Lifting for Women and it's a great read, but I'm not sure that it is enough to get you going safely as a beginner.
    See if you can get hold of a copy then perhaps look online for videos that show you good form, and how to avoid injuries (these are my concerns as a beginner planning to lift at home, so they are probably yours too).
    Currently I'm using a home gym as that's what I have... but I do like the New Rules idea and will probably look into that more in a few months time.
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    I don't plan to bulk up in any way at all...I just want to do anything that will help with my weight loss. I also wouldn't mind some lean muscle mass!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    P90X
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Billdavisjr
    Billdavisjr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The combination of resistance training and cardio can do wonders. i just would be wary of lifting heavy and it is unneccesary for your goals. I would not do less than 8 reps ever if I were you and the best range would be 10-12. A friend and fellow natural bodybuilder Hugo Rivera has losts of info on about.com http://www.hugorivera.net/category/womens-bodybuilding-and-fitness
    There are allot of natural athletes out there with great information. The basic exercises would be best, squats or lunnges, triceps extensions and curls for arms, shoulder presses. Light weights at first to learn your body. Also remember to do resistance training first then cardio. Fat burning and metabolism are primed for hours after.-B