How do they KNOW???

memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, I know there is someone out there in MFP land that can answer this question. Maybe it has been asked/answered before but I didn't see it, so here goes:

How do they know how many calories, carbs, protien, etc..are in any given item? Take for instance , the good ol' egg, how do they determine that it has 70 calories? I just don't get it. I'm not arguing the amount they state I just want to know how they know!!!!

Memaw

Replies

• kdblev
    kdblev Posts: 18
    A calorie is a unit of energy. Specifically the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one deg. celsius. They basically burn the food to determine calories.
  • It is a unit of energy that can be measured by basically burning it and getting a joule heat/energy output. You learn about it and do the experiments in chemistry class (had alot of them in HS and college though, so not really sure what level that was at). But it is a pretty basic math/science-type equation. So that is the pretty uninteresting way to determine a calorie (in actuality it is a kcal). And yes, now I feel like a dork.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    See, I knew someone would know!

Thanks!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Like the other said the calorie count is through calorimetry. The protein carb fat rations can be determined by other types of chemical analysis. Every large egg has a different calorie amount some may be 75 others 69. What the tables give you is an average.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Wow thanks for posting this topic T.W, Ive learned something knew or either I forgot, :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.