Motivation is waning...

Options
I started the first 45 days strong... I saw great results (lost 16 pounds) and thought it would be beneficial to add in exercise. 30 Day Shred seemed to be very popular on here so I bought it and got started. After a five days I had a 2 pound increase (while maintaining my calories between 1,200 - 1,500)... OH NO! But, I took a step back and told myself that it wasn't a big deal, that a body has fluctuations... then I banned myself from the scale for a few weeks to just try to FEEL the difference. Great theory, not so great in practice.

Anyway, I had a bad day of food for Valentine's Day (even though I tried to prepare ahead of time)... I wrote it off as my cheat day and moved on. Then 5 days later it happened again... WTH? So I shake it off and say that 'while I can't change the past, I can make better choices going forward'.

The problem lies in the fact that I seem to succumb more frequently to the cravings... I know this is a emotional problem because I'm not hungry, and certainly don't need the food. But, I'm not unhappy in life either, or sad, no traumatic events, etc.. I really want to kick the bad habits and get back on track.

Sorry this is so long. I just needed to put my thoughts to page and maybe I can get my motivation revved up again! Best wishes to you all!!!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You're doing great so far! This is when it gets hard. You're tired, you're pushing hard and you don't feel like it's making a difference. The winter blues set in, and you ask is it worth it anymore? I know the story, having been through it too. It's hard this time of year. It truly is! Don't punish yourself for it.
    When you first start a workout routine, especially one as hard as anything Jillian Michaels has made, you're likely to gain a little. A few pounds of extra water weight. Shake it off and keep going!
    A cheat day, 2 in one week. No big deal, start again everyday. Everyday cravings and giving in? Not so good. Analyze everything you eat. Before you start, ask yourself why? Why are you eating, are you hungry, trying to soothe an emotion of some sort, bored? Try and identify the reason every time. Write out your goals and put them on your fridge. Remind yourself of your goals every time you go to eat something. Even if it doesn't stop you right now, it will help you stop in the future.
    What type of cravings are you having? Perhaps you need to increase your fat and protein intake earlier in the day. It will help calm cravings later in the day. It really works! I've done it before.
    I found a lot of useful techniques for stoping cravings and helping maintain motivation in the book by Paul McKenna, I can make you thin. It helps me refocus, and helps me see where I'm going. It sounds like just the thing you need!
    Hope something here helps you!
  • kikix5
    kikix5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I do the same thing, I don't have much to lose and when you don't see results, I get sort of let down and then think, well, one piece of licorice won't make a difference and then hate myself for doing it, but you have already lost 16 pounds and that in itself is a great thing! Take it one day at a time and keep your chin up!

Just keep looking forward to that ultimate goal! you'll do great!! you already have mad a big change!
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me at least, the problem isn't unhappiness... it's boredom! I sit in front of a computer screen all day at work and all I want to do is snack... all freakin' day. I haven't really solved the problem since I can't really add in a hobby at work. (I think they might protest if I started knitting afghans at work) But just know you aren't alone so don't give up. Everybody stumbles, its keeping up the fight that counts.
  • Rob_Sarge
    Rob_Sarge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You really are doing well and also a news flash for you....your human....it's ok. The hardest thing for me to realize is it has to be a permanent lifestyle change....your going to have good and bad days. Also, it is possible to gain a little bit of weight and still lose inches. Remember muscle weighs more than fat. The other thin I try to remember is be true to yourself....if you cheat or have a bad day, your the only one who is beating yourself up about it....that's the beauty of a new day.
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    I know how you feel I am in the same boat as you. I am now struggling with cravings and the scale also makes me mad at times. You are doing great just don't give up. There are days I wanna give up but then I think of all the great work that all my friends on here are doing and it kinda helps me. You can do this!!!!!!!
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    A friend of mine wrote this blog post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Simmie69/view/don-t-quit-214367

Might help.
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I don't know why, but when I see a gain, my internal drive just quits even though I still want to keep going. I just don't get it. Before I know it, I'm back to my old eating habits again. :(
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I really can relate to what you're going through. Lately I've wanted to take a vacation from this site and just not even think about weighing and measuring and how much I'm burning and how much I'm eating. The thing is we don't have to be perfect 100% of the time. Even Jillian says if we are good 80% of the time that's great.. cause we're human.. and things come up.. and if we see ourselves as "bad" for the occasional indulgences, that's not healthy.

I think of this process as a lifelong roller coaster with it's highs and lows. We all have the highs and that's when it's fun... but when we hit the lows, that's when we need to dig down and push ourselves through it. This is a lifestyle change. You're doing great. You're doing fantastic just logging your feelings on here instead of quitting!
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same exact situation. I even screwed-up on V day even though I tried to plan ahead, and I having given in to some cravings the last week or so. I just don't even understand why because I truly don't feel deprived 99% of the time. I eat when I'm hungry, and even though I don't eat everything I want, I try to find a healthier option that has a similar appeal as the unhealthy one. I also notice we have both lost a similar amount of weight.

I'm not sure what it is for me. I almost feel like I so used to feeling bad about the way I eat that I am sabotaging myself in order to get back to feeling normal. That sounds stupid, but I hope it makes sense.

Today is a new day, and today when I start to sabotage my weight loss efforts, I'm going to think about how I'm not the only in this battle, and I will keep you in mind

. We've come this far......let's not stop now. Plus, summer is just around the corner!
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Look at what you have already accomplished!!!! 16 lbs is not a small loss!!!! Think about how you got there. Was it horrible? Did you feel deprived? Did you hate life when you were losing?

Now think about the cravings and old habits. Do they really make you feel better than you did when you were seeing success? Is there that much of a payoff that would make it worth going back to the old habits?

I have to do this mental exercise alot. Staying on track, and staying motivated is hard. But honestly, when I look back at where I was 30 lbs. ago, I know there is no way I want to go back to that.... no matter what I have to change. I love being healthy a whole lot more than I loved eating chili cheese dogs or potato chips! And I will be telling myself that for the next 40 lbs., too!

Good luck!!! And for the record, you are doing AWESOME!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!!
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Wow...can't believe there are so many of us out there with the same issues...I thought I was alone b/c once someone compliments me on weight loss, I give up. I am finding it harder and harder to stay out of the kitchen at night. It is sheer boredom. That may be your issue too. We are studying this in nutrition class now & the instructor says to be mindful of what you eat (like actually taste it and feel the texture, etc) and try to assess if you are feeding physical hunger or feeding your mouth....your mouth ALWAYS wants stimulation...and that may be what you are fighting. Try chewing gum. That being said, you are doing AWESOME! Keep it up & it will be worth it.
  • nshannon14
    nshannon14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity what are your specific cravings?
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your words of encouragement! It's so nice to know that I'm not alone in this battle. This is the point where I usually quit and go back to the old ways... Not this time though!

I didn't complete my last few days of my food journal because, frankly, I was ashamed at the amount of bad food I'd consumed. I start off great, then slowly slide into the abyss...

I'm going to just take this day by day. Today I commit to treating myself better than I did yesterday... To stay within my calorie allotment, to exercise, to drink lots of water! I can only work on today... Tomorrow will be a whole new opportunity!

Thanks again, everyone... I didn't want to be a whiny-butt... But it's nice to know that people understand my perspective and that I'm not alone in some of my feelings.
  • kealey1318
    Options

Um, what did me in yesterday was my skinny cake (cake mix with subbing diet soda for all other mixables)... and unfortunately lots of it... and then I made healthy shish kabobs for dinner, which would have been GREAT had they not had some bizarre pasty taste (I can only assume came from the marinade the chicken was in), so plan B was my husband bringing home KFC... Oh golly... that was so NOT on the plan. And he didn't include any grilled chicken... EGADS! :noway:
  • nshannon14
    nshannon14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Um, what did me in yesterday was my skinny cake (cake mix with subbing diet soda for all other mixables)... and unfortunately lots of it... and then I made healthy shish kabobs for dinner, which would have been GREAT had they not had some bizarre pasty taste (I can only assume came from the marinade the chicken was in), so plan B was my husband bringing home KFC... Oh golly... that was so NOT on the plan. And he didn't include any grilled chicken... EGADS! :noway:

Yeah that KFC can do us all in can't it?! My gym is in a bad spot for stuff like that too. When you walk out of my gym to the left is my favorite sports bar, and in front is a Taco Bell! Hows that for location?

I was asking because I read an interesting article on chocolate recently. I've actually incorporated chocolate in to my diet this time which is funny because I really don't have much of a sweet tooth. The article centered around the fact that most of us don't take the time to enjoy the flavor of chocolate. A very slow approach to eating it can yield more enjoyment from the food itself. There are actually 300 indivicual flavors in a piece of chocoalate. We mess up by eating it fast and not enjoying all the different flavors. I personally can't distinguish 300 different flavors, but I did try eating it slow and it made a difference in how much I enjoyed the experience. It made me consider why we don't do this for all foods we eat, so I tried giving in to cravings in much smaller portions. When I slowed down to the enjoy the flavor I found I didn't need as much. I know that sounds very much like some form of meditation but it really has worked for me. Just figured I could share the experience.

16 pounds is one heck of an accomplishment. I know you will be able to stick with it and make your weight loss goal. We should listen to our cravings though. I understand sometimes it is just bored eating, but other times our body may be trying to tell us something. Keep up the good work!
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have to say I was happy to read your post because that is EXACTLY the spot I find myself in. I am great guns for the first month and a half, now my resolve is slowly waning. It is exhausting constantly thinking about what to eat, how much to eat, do I have the proper snacks with me, etc. I sit in front of a computer all day and boredom is a big factor, Plus, after I get home in the evening, after working two jobs, I am tired and don't always have the sense to go to bed. Instead, I watch TV and snack.

That being said, I also read the replies of the others on here and I really feel a little better about myself. I am within my limits 80% of the time, I am human, I will stumble, but I WILL get back up and try again. Thanks everyone! You keep us going!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I really can relate to what you're going through. Lately I've wanted to take a vacation from this site and just not even think about weighing and measuring and how much I'm burning and how much I'm eating. The thing is we don't have to be perfect 100% of the time. Even Jillian says if we are good 80% of the time that's great.. cause we're human.. and things come up.. and if we see ourselves as "bad" for the occasional indulgences, that's not healthy.

I think of this process as a lifelong roller coaster with it's highs and lows. We all have the highs and that's when it's fun... but when we hit the lows, that's when we need to dig down and push ourselves through it. This is a lifestyle change. You're doing great. You're doing fantastic just logging your feelings on here instead of quitting!

this really spoke to me thank you.. :smile:
  • hklaquadra
    Options
    NO DIET SODA! Do the best you can to eliminate as much of the artificial sweeteners that you can. Those artificial chemicals will mess you up and cause more damage and more cravings than the real deal. If you have to have a carbonated beverage, get some seltzer (not club soda), and not the kind with the artificials in it, just plain seltzer and then add just a couple tablespoons of pomegranate juice or good cranberry juice. Over ice and maybe add some crushed fresh mint and you will have a nice thirst quenching beverage that is much healthier than diet soda.

The other thing is processed foods, any boxed foods, prepackaged diet foods. All those things are filled with more chemicals and LOTS of sodium. I know it might be a few minutes more to make things from scratch with fresh ingredients but your body will thank you :)
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh you're definitely not alone... I'm nodding my head at most of the posts on this thread, they all speak to me in some way or form.

I work in London (England) and spend a lot of time in the car. I need to plan my food better; snacks and ready foods from motorway service stations are so calorie-laden and I find that once I have one of those, I think "all bets are off" and don't bother to reign myself in for the rest of the day's meals.

I have to say that I was quite pleased with myself today... for the first time ever, because I DID have a motorway lunch, I adjusted my dinner meal to a salmon salad at 240 calories instead of the pasta dinner at 775 calories that I was planning. I'm within my calories for today instead of going over by 500. I've never restricted myself like that before... I wonder why I did it today? I hope I can make that a habit.

To the poster who says that she gives up when people comment on her weight loss - I too do that. I can lose and regain the same 28 pounds just because somebody comments that I've lost weight. I wish they wouldn't, I just feel bad then for some reason? It's the same when somebody says, "Oh you look nice", I wonder then whether I look like a bag lady on the days when they didn't comment? I find that being fat makes me over-sensitive and over-analytical of peoples' motives.

Kealey... You will not let this hold you back, not when you want it so very much. A day is only 24 hours and a mistake or lapse doesn't mean the end of it all. Hugs from the UK from somebody else who understands. xxx :-D
  • kealey1318
    Options
    :smile:
    Oh you're definitely not alone... I'm nodding my head at most of the posts on this thread, they all speak to me in some way or form.

I work in London (England) and spend a lot of time in the car. I need to plan my food better; snacks and ready foods from motorway service stations are so calorie-laden and I find that once I have one of those, I think "all bets are off" and don't bother to reign myself in for the rest of the day's meals.

I have to say that I was quite pleased with myself today... for the first time ever, because I DID have a motorway lunch, I adjusted my dinner meal to a salmon salad at 240 calories instead of the pasta dinner at 775 calories that I was planning. I'm within my calories for today instead of going over by 500. I've never restricted myself like that before... I wonder why I did it today? I hope I can make that a habit.

To the poster who says that she gives up when people comment on her weight loss - I too do that. I can lose and regain the same 28 pounds just because somebody comments that I've lost weight. I wish they wouldn't, I just feel bad then for some reason? It's the same when somebody says, "Oh you look nice", I wonder then whether I look like a bag lady on the days when they didn't comment? I find that being fat makes me over-sensitive and over-analytical of peoples' motives.

Kealey... You will not let this hold you back, not when you want it so very much. A day is only 24 hours and a mistake or lapse doesn't mean the end of it all. Hugs from the UK from somebody else who understands. xxx :-D

Thank you VERY much! I appreciate the wisdom of your words and congratulations on making that great choice for lunch!!!