C25K: Completion vs. Mastery

Options
I've just completed Couch-to-5K Week 3/Day 1. I think this is a great program because I've NEVER run by choice before, and I can tell that I'm getting better and building stamina. But is COMPLETION enough? I've finished each day that I've tried so far, but it's not been easy. Should I be re-doing levels of the program until they're easy (that is, MASTERED)? I don't want to set myself up for failure by moving forward too quickly (and add in that while I complete every day without cheats, I'm REALLY slow). Thoughts?

All responses appreciated-- would especially like to hear about opinions or experiences of those of you who have successfully finished the whole program. Feel free to message me too!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The program is designed to add just enough more training stress each week to keep your fitness level increasing. So, if you are able to complete a week you should advance to the next week.

Being really slow at this point is not a concern and is to be expected. You will get faster as your fitness increases. If you end up continuing to run your running fitness can continue to increase for a long time, up to ten years.

With running, what seems impossible now (in speed and distance) will be possible later if you only believe in yourself and continue increasing the training stress (time spent running) as your fitness level improves.

Just remember that it is a long journey of years to reach your personal genetic upper limits.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The program is designed to add just enough more training stress each week to keep your fitness level increasing. So, if you are able to complete a week you should advance to the next week.

Being really slow at this point is not a concern and is to be expected. You will get faster as your fitness increases. If you end up continuing to run your running fitness can continue to increase for a long time, up to ten years.

With running, what seems impossible now (in speed and distance) will be possible later if you only believe in yourself and continue increasing the training stress (time spent running) as your fitness level improves.

Just remember that it is a long journey of years to reach your personal genetic upper limits.

Explained perfectly!
  • michmill98
    Options
    It depends on if I feel that I'm ready to go to the next level. Sometimes I'll just repeat a day once, other times I'll repeat the entire week - did that when I had a cold and didn't feel up to increasing my run times. Tomorrow is W5D3

This is my second time to do this - the first got derailed due to unexpected work and life commitments and no motivation. This time around my plan is to make it through the entire program and then repeat it as necessary, gradually increasing my speed each time. I'm slow too right now - most of my runs are at 5 mph. I look at it this way - it's not a race to the end, it's about gradually getting healthy. I didn't put on the weight overnight so I know it's not going to come off overnight but every little bit helps. I've managed to lose almost 7 lbs since the first of the year with restarting C25K, watching portions, and making some better food choices (still don't eat as healthy as I probably should but I know I eat out a lot).
  • mjstallworth
    mjstallworth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the quoted. I started C25K in March 2011. I too, was able to finish each day/week without cheating but it was always a challenge. I just kept plugging away and completed it in May. Since then I have gradually increased distance which has resulted in an increase in speed. I'm still very slow but am improving both in distance and speed. I'm really amazed at how far I have come.

One thing to remember is that it may takes years not months to really reach your potential. I'm really ok with that. I expect to be a better runner at 55 than I am now at 50.

• kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    After completing the program you can adequately run a 5k. Want proof? I challenge you to go run it tomorrow. I'll go as far as to gaurentee it. Let me know how it goes.

As for mastering, depends on what you mean by that? Do you want to easily complete it? Then step up to a 10k program and continue to challenge/push yourself. Over time 3 miles becomes easier and easier. As for speed, there are things you can do to improve that... but if you're a beginner then why worry about speed? Enjoy the run and when you're ready push it into a higher gear.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed, you are much faster than those sitting on the couch.

When I was doing c25k I had to get into the mindset that I was going to complete the days program. Many times the tough part is in your mind.

Speed will come with time.
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    I recently completed Week 1 day 3. But at nearly 300 pounds, my knees are taking a beating and I'm finding it difficult to keep up the pace they have set. I can do the first 15 minutes or so okay, but beyond that I am really pushing myself HARD to finish. So I've decided to repeat week 1 with the hope that it will become a little easier.

Good luck to you!!