How to stay off the scale?!

Options
I am trying to just weigh in once a week with my PT but it is so hard!!

I have been doing everything else but I think I am addicted to my scale - it's worse than crack.

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I hear you. But I hate feeling obsessed with my scale. I made my husband hide it from me, and he brings it out once a week.
  • tayca9174
    Options
    I'm the same way! I try to not weight myself every morning when I wake up but then I drive myself crazy if I don't do it! I guess its a nice thing to see how my weight changes from day to day and I do get so excited when I see I lost 0.2 lbs but I know doing that every day is not accurate! ;-)
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well I took my scale that does all the readings BF/BMI/BW and gave it to someone to hold. I still have the normal just weight scale - think I may give that to my son to hold.

Yeah I know I have 2 scales at home, 1 at work, avaoid the gym one too
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those hmmm I wonder what eating this much salt/fat/protein/carbs or running/weight lifting has done to my weight. Do it for science!

I more or less have a goal to see if I can get to what I was years ago. I'm not one of those people who cares if the scale goes up and down as long as I loose it healthily/consistently over all. Getting on it every day isn't going to give me an idea of that.

If you're one of the many people who feel down if the weight goes up, put your scale on top of something so you have to lift it off and put it on the floor to weigh...and only touch it once a week or so :P
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I hate being obsessive. I know that if I weigh myself all the time, I'll just get pissed. So I weigh on Tuesday mornings, before I've had anything to eat. I roll out of bed, pee, and weigh. That way, I know I will have lost, so I won't get discouraged when I see the weight going up and down all week.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I take my measurments and weight once a week on Saturday morning. I was driving myself crazy by weighing in each day. I had to put it away, out of sight so I wont jump on it each time I go into the bathroom!
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I find it really difficult but after the long hard journey of losing weight I've been able to stave off going on everyday. I do it o ce a week in the morning before eati g and after going to the loo on the same scales to keep it as accurate as possible. I've done it where I weighed everyday (drove me nuts and became obsessed) and gone the other way and never weighed myself and purely on clothes. I lost weight both times but found as soon as I went against either I started gaining - so now sticking with once a week.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Now that I am done losing, I got rid of my scale. I seriously only weigh myself once every couple of months. It caused me a great deal of anxiety and stress when I had constant access to it. I also became obsessive about weighing myself several times per day.

When I was actively losing, though, I recognized the importance of weighing in once per week. I had my husband at the time hide the scale from me until weigh in day, which was Friday morning. I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but it worked really well for me.

Best of luck. :-)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Now that my main goal isn't a generic "lose weight"..its more of a 'lose fat and keep muscle'. I've found the number on the scale doesn't impact me as much as how i look in the mirror does. Losing 12-15lbs this year is nice, but the visibility of my abs > the smaller number on the scale.

I could be 250lbs right now, if it was all musle, I'd be happier than if I were a skinny 200lbs.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 lbs over the last year and a half and weigh myself every day. Sometimes twice. Just realize that it is a measurement, and all measurements have a certain amount of error involved. I started at 305 and am now 215. Because I am an engineer... and a six sigma black belt... and just geeking in general, I guess, I have all of those data points plotted. After a while you start to understand that at 250 lbs, your weight can fluctuate +/- 5 lbs depending on when you weighed, what you ate the day before, how much water you are retaining, how you were standing at the time, etc. So, for me, weighing every day is not an issue, but just because I don't freak out if I gain 5 lbs one day (or don't lose weight for a week even though I have done everything right). If my trend line is still heading the right way, I'm happy.

One more thing, having one "big weigh-in" per week can be stressful too. If that weigh in happens to have error in "the wrong way", then you can get depressed because you were expecting it to be good and maybe it didn't change. If you are analytical, you always want more data points so you can "see" the error.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Sometimes Mr. Scale just has to take a little vacation away from home. Do you have a friend or relative he can go visit for a few weeks or a month? You can be re-united later, when you feel strong enough to tell him you will only see him once a week.