Hello, I'm trying to gain weight! (:

Options
Hey, I'm Zoë! Lately I've realized how sluggish and tired I always feel, and I think it's because I often go whole days without eating barely anything.... oh, and I never exercise. So I've realized that if I start exercising and eating more, I should feel and look a lot better.
(Also I've noticed that when I do gain weight, it's in my butt and chest, so maybe I can get some curves while I'm at it. :P )

h-5'2"
-
cw-103lbs
gw-115lbs
-
waist-26"
-
hips-34 1/2"
goal4hips- 36"
-
chest-32"
goal4chest-36"

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    All you can eat buffet!!!
  • _z_o_ë_
    Options
    Haha, I think that'll just make me feel more sluggish! :p
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't relate with needing to gain weight so I'm not going to be able to give you any advice. But, I think it's a good thing for you that you are trying to gain a bit of weight and get healthier. I wish you all the best of luck and I'm sure you'll be able to find some people on this site to give you some encouragement and tips along the way. :smile:
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    Sounds like you need more of a strength training with some cardio.
    Don't have to go for all out muscle build but tone.
  • _z_o_ë_
    Options
    @PurplePookie: Yeah, I'm probably one of ten people trying to gain weight. Thanks for the support though, im tired of beig so weak! Best of luck to you too! (:
  • Genghiskhannie
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 5'2, 90.8lb, 30-23-32. I have the body of a 12 year old boy and I'm a 27 year old woman. It's kind of sad.
  • Aliydawn
    Options
    thats awesome for me when i'm feeling down. Protein is great make sure your iron levels are up and get outside for some exercise if you can.
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you start exercising more, your body will start demanding more food! Definitely do some strength training. You'll gain muscle instead of fat (or possibly both since your body might need a little more fat to fill out your curves like you said!) and you'll gain weight in all the right places. I'm starting the Body for Life program which I've heard a lot of good things about, and it can be done in home or in a gym. Do keep track of your daily calories - if you hit a day when you're not eating much, grab a fruit and yogurt smoothie or meal replacement shake. When I'm not hungry it's easier for me to drink nutrition than eat it. Best wishes!
  • _z_o_ë_
    Options
    @Genghiskhanni: Wow! And I thought I was skinny! Maybe we can motivate each other and share tips and whatnot. (:

---

@Aliydawn: Thanks for the tip. I definitely don't get enough protein on a regular basis.

---

@57rainbows: I've noticed that actually. On days when I don't eat alot, once I finally do something active, then I realize how starving I am. I'll google that Body for Life thing. (:
    Thanks for all the tips! ♥
  • DeathMedic
    Options
    Congrats on starting a weight gain program. Im an Army nurse and have been bodybuilding for about 2 years now. I thought I might share a few tips that have helped me while Im doing my bulk phase (weight gain phase). Bananas are great for gaining weight. Try to eat more frequently, but less in the amount at each meal. I eat 5 times a day, but im not eating a "thanksgiving meal" either. Peanut butter is excellent as well. Someone else mentioned smoothies, I second that as a great idea. I generally use protein with my fruit smoothie, to help me keep a high intake of protein. You will be surprised how many calories you can get in a smoothie. Also, like others have mentioned, strength training with some cardio mixed in is fantastic. Good Luck! let me know if you have any questions. :)
  • _z_o_ë_
    Options
    @DeathMedic: Thanks for the support! I was considering trying the whlole 5 meals per day thing, but I don't think I could w/ my schedule. And I love smoothies, so I'm super happy that people keep suggesting them! Thanks for all the advice, and good luck to you too! ♥
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Zoe, I think it's great that you want to eat healthy to gain a few pounds and to exercise to feel better!! Please just make certain with your doctor that you aren't feeling sluggish due to another easy to remedy reason like sluggish thyroid or vitamin needs or something. You get what I'm saying~ Best of luck!!!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    you're so pretty Zoe! I agree on the strength training, and of course protein you are going to look fierce at your goal weight with some cut arms and killer shoulders! Good luck!
  • mrsmoreno05
    Options
    Stay away from the buffets....fast food... that is all NEGATIVE advice! That is UNHEALTHY! You need to go on a high protein diet. I honestly would recommend talking to your Dr. about this. They can direct you into whats right for your body. Lift weights. A lot of women are scared of weights.. DON'T BE! You will NOT bulk up! ... Good luck!
  • deborahbannister
    Options
    Zoe,

You mentioned that you barely exercise so I'd suggest starting with the 30 day shred. I barely exercised myself in the past and did this for the first time last month. This is my second time doing it and this time I'm using heavier weights. Its only 20-23 minutes long but it covers strength training, cardio, and abs. :) It definitely works! I got my dvd at walmart for only 10 dollars. Best of luck to you!
  • DeathMedic
    Options
    Stay away from the buffets....fast food... that is all NEGATIVE advice! That is UNHEALTHY! You need to go on a high protein diet. I honestly would recommend talking to your Dr. about this. They can direct you into whats right for your body. Lift weights. A lot of women are scared of weights.. DON'T BE! You will NOT bulk up! ... Good luck!

MrsMoreno05 is exactly right! Try to avoid fast food and buffets like the plague! Although eating healthy is more expensive it is well worth it! you will actually get to the point where you dont want or crave fast food! also try to avoid sodas and some "fruit juices" - they are loaded up on sugar and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). HFCS is also something to try to avoid - it is similar to sugar, but actually makes you gain weight and crave more items with it. It is not the weight that you want either. Unfortunately, it is in almost everything it seems! So watch out for it. (So if your trying to gain or lose weight stay away from HFCS). As for a protein supplement, there are tons of products out there! I have used several kinds. The thing to remember is - you get what you pay for. If its cheap, its probably not good quality. My two favorite powder proteins are SYNTHA-6 and ISOFLEX. I always get vanilla flavor, because you can mix in whatever you want the flavor to be. ISOFLEX is probably the best quality protein on the market, in my opinion. it will run you about $69 for a 5 lbs tub. (which will last for some time!). Both have great tastes! I also take INCEPTION by chaotic labz, it is a tablet form of protein. It is fantastic as well, because it is straight up protein with 48 calories for a seving of 5 tablets. (Downside = massive tablet).
  • _z_o_ë_
    Options
    Blahhh, I'm not going to reply individually, but thank you all so much for your support and advice!
    Send me a friend request if ya want♥♥
  • paulhulme1969
    Options
    I would go for weight gain shakes, with minimal exercise it should work, it’s all about calorie intake.
  • qkbvoch
    Options
    I'm right there with you Zoe! I'm 5'5" and 111lb. I used to be about 120-125 I'm trying to get back to that! I recently cut out most processed/junk foods from my diet, so I think that has a lot to do with it. I've started exercising and weight training. One thing that I think has helped me to get my calories and more protein/fat is I keep a jar of (all natural) peanut butter at my desk at work and eat it on apples or bread or just a spoonful every so often.