Help a Newbie Out

kmgreg5
kmgreg5 Posts: 6
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I am a mother of 3 boys, JT 8 (almost 9), TJ 7, and JB 2. I have a wonderful dh of 10 1/2 years and I teach 6th grade World Geography:laugh: . I am off for the summer so I decided to try to get some good habits in before school starts back up. I have about 125 pounds to lose:sad: . I have just reached my limit. I am physically unable to do things I'd like to do and I need to be around for my babies. I don't qualify for stomach surgery because I haven't been "fat" for 5 years! Well forget that. I can't take 5 more years of being this big.I'm miserable and I hurt and it is affeting my health so I guess I'll have to do it myself, AND I WILL:flowerforyou: !

I started putting my information in about 2 weeks ago. I could not believe how much I was actually consuming even when I thought I was being "good". I cut my calories down from almost 4000:sick: to between 1800 to 2000. Even then, I had only lost about 2 pounds:grumble: . This week I didn't put my info in for the weekend and I tell you I have felt lousy. I feel bloated and lethargic even though I don't feel like I ate all that much:yawn: .
I put in my food for breakfast which was cereal and I have already had 1200 calories:noway: !

So now the question: should you continue eating for the day and hope you don't max out or just scrap the whole day and start over tomorrow. I am still full but I know for dinner I will probably go over some (I'm having fish). What do you do when you "screw up" a meal unintentionally?
:heart:
Thanks, Kmgreg5

Replies

• Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Hello and welcome
    I'm right there with you sis.
    I dont know why I keep over eating so bad but I'm always worse at night .
  • tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Just because you "screwed up" once doesn't mean the day is gone! And remember this is a LIFESTYLE change not a punishment. Sometime, it happens. Just say, as of "RIGHT NOW I am going to do better than a moment ago". You can do it! When I first started, I would in put everything in FIRST THING in the morning before I ate anything...that way I knew before I started and I would not have any OMG DID I JUST EAT THAT MUCH??!?!!!
    This is what you need to do:
    1. Keep up the good work! Starting IS the hardest thing!
    2. Find breakfast that WON'T come close to 1200 calories. I think a good revamp of your food is in order. Clean Eat should be your favorite new thing.
    3. Check out: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/minisite/ce_index.htm and http://www.eatcleandiet.com/, Tosca is my hero and an amazing women!!
    4. MEASURE ALL YOUR FOOD GOING IN!!!!!! Most people don't know what 1 cup is, or 5 oz of chicken... Remember your body can only use 25g of protein at a time...all extra goes straight to fat.
    5. Find new menus, when I started Eating Clean, it opened A HUGE door...not boring like I had thought!
    6. memorize this site: http://www.eatcleandiet.com/ Clean up the food and you will feel SOOO much better.
    7. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet, not something to do for a while until you get bored, not something for the summer... If you really want to get healthy...this is the start of your new life!

You can do it!! You can chat with me anytime...I am a fitness instructor that went from 170 to 120 and never looked back!!

Tiffany :flowerforyou:
  • tiff1632
    Hello and welcome

Eat more protein and complex carbs in the day... your body is not craving sugar it is craving energy to get you through the day....
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Hi, I am a mother of 3 boys, JT 8 (almost 9), TJ 7, and JB 2. I have a wonderful dh of 10 1/2 years and I teach 6th grade World Geography:laugh: . I am off for the summer so I decided to try to get some good habits in before school starts back up. I have about 125 pounds to lose:sad: . I have just reached my limit. I am physically unable to do things I'd like to do and I need to be around for my babies. I don't qualify for stomach surgery because I haven't been "fat" for 5 years! Well forget that. I can't take 5 more years of being this big.I'm miserable and I hurt and it is affeting my health so I guess I'll have to do it myself, AND I WILL:flowerforyou: !

I started putting my information in about 2 weeks ago. I could not believe how much I was actually consuming even when I thought I was being "good". I cut my calories down from almost 4000:sick: to between 1800 to 2000. Even then, I had only lost about 2 pounds:grumble: . This week I didn't put my info in for the weekend and I tell you I have felt lousy. I feel bloated and lethargic even though I don't feel like I ate all that much:yawn: .
    I put in my food for breakfast which was cereal and I have already had 1200 calories:noway: !

So now the question: should you continue eating for the day and hope you don't max out or just scrap the whole day and start over tomorrow. I am still full but I know for dinner I will probably go over some (I'm having fish). What do you do when you "screw up" a meal unintentionally?
    Thanks, Kmgreg5

Try getting in some exercise, and when you do have your next meal, make it lots of vegetables, along with your fish.
    Whenever I go over on my numbers, I try getting in some extra jogging with my Wii Fit, and or dancing to my oldies. It's fun, and best of all, it burns off some of those fats and calories! :smile:
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    I would love to hear some expert opinion in the comment from Tiff1632 that any protein over 25g in one meal goes straight to fat. Not that I don't believe you Tiff, I have just never heard this. I had been upping my protein for my strength training, sometimes getting 40-50 grams in a meal (but still staying at 40/30/30 for the day), and I don't want to sabotage my own efforts to build muscle and lose fat. Thanks.
  • kmgreg5
    Just because you "screwed up" once doesn't mean the day is gone! And remember this is a LIFESTYLE change not a punishment. Sometime, it happens. Just say, as of "RIGHT NOW I am going to do better than a moment ago". You can do it! When I first started, I would in put everything in FIRST THING in the morning before I ate anything...that way I knew before I started and I would not have any OMG DID I JUST EAT THAT MUCH??!?!!!
    This is what you need to do:
    1. Keep up the good work! Starting IS the hardest thing!
    2. Find breakfast that WON'T come close to 1200 calories. I think a good revamp of your food is in order. Clean Eat should be your favorite new thing.
    3. Check out: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/minisite/ce_index.htm and http://www.eatcleandiet.com/, Tosca is my hero and an amazing women!!
    4. MEASURE ALL YOUR FOOD GOING IN!!!!!! Most people don't know what 1 cup is, or 5 oz of chicken... Remember your body can only use 25g of protein at a time...all extra goes straight to fat.
    5. Find new menus, when I started Eating Clean, it opened A HUGE door...not boring like I had thought!
    6. memorize this site: http://www.eatcleandiet.com/ Clean up the food and you will feel SOOO much better.
    7. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet, not something to do for a while until you get bored, not something for the summer... If you really want to get healthy...this is the start of your new life!

You can do it!! You can chat with me anytime...I am a fitness instructor that went from 170 to 120 and never looked back!!

Tiffany :flowerforyou:

Thank you Tiff. I appreciate it. I am going to look at those sites in just a few mins. I have committed myself to a lifestyle change and I am so glad I have the summer to establish some new and healthier habits! Next trick is getting in that excersise I keep making excuses for! :glasses: Kayla
  • kmgreg5

Thanks, Kmgreg5

Try getting in some exercise, and when you do have your next meal, make it lots of vegetables, along with your fish.
    Whenever I go over on my numbers, I try getting in some extra jogging with my Wii Fit, and or dancing to my oldies. It's fun, and best of all, it burns off some of those fats and calories! :smile:

Great idea BrenNew! I will jump in the pool when the sun goes down some (it's too freakin hot in Texas!) and do my laps and stuff. I didn't get in the pool yesterday so I think I also feel bad about that one too.:glasses:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    It happens....If you "screw up" a meal I don't think you should throw out the whole day; I think you should do the best you can with the rest of the day. Enjoy your summer. I'm a stay-at-home mom but I have a teaching degree and I understand how much work teachers do! Have you seen the teachers thread on here?
  • kmgreg5
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:

Thank you Momoftwo29! I'm enjoying it so far.:happy:
  • kmgreg5
    It happens....If you "screw up" a meal I don't think you should throw out the whole day; I think you should do the best you can with the rest of the day. Enjoy your summer. I'm a stay-at-home mom but I have a teaching degree and I understand how much work teachers do! Have you seen the teachers thread on here?
    No, I haven't had time to really look around much Iliketomoveit. I will definately do that. :wink:
  • kmgreg5
    Hello and welcome
    Oh Mary24 do I know that! I eat worse at night and when I'm stressed. I have always eaten at night. I am a night owl. I remember even as a child sneaking into the kitchen to eat when everyone was asleep!:blushing:
  • foleypro
    foleypro Posts: 9
    Water helps. If you eat too much early in the day, cut up lots of veggies and use them to keep your mouth busy. You also need to give yourself permission to be over your desired caloric limit by 2-300 calories today...as long as you a) move a bit more than usual and b) eat healthfully.

And I have found that whenever I have carbs alone, I get hungry quickly. It is like taking an appetite pill. If I combine a complex carb (oatmeal) with some protein (chicken? an egg?) in the morning, my satiation is more enduring.

Good luck! The students will be thrilled to see you in the Fall!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Don't let one meal ruin the whole day. You may be over your calories at the end of the day, but just imagine how far over you'd be if you decided to say "oh well" and eat whatever you want. Every calorie you don't eat is a step closer to your goal.

Try fitting in some cardio today to burn off some of those calories. It doesn't take much for us bigger girls to burn a LOT of calories. :smile:
  • roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Also log your food BEFORE you eat - sometimes once you realize how many calories it is - :noway: - you change your mind before it is too late:wink:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Also log your food BEFORE you eat - sometimes once you realize how many calories it is - :noway: - you change your mind before it is too late:wink:

That's a GREAT tip!
  • I have noticed that logging in food REALLY helps. You stay aware of what you are eating. And the awareness makes you WANT to eat healthier.
    For me, it's taken until this 3rd week to actually feel better and notice some weight loss. I've read that the first weeks your body is getting accustomed to NOT having all that excess fats, sugars and unhealthy processed foods in your system. I went thru headaches( caffiene withdrawal) and just feeling yucky most days. But, I stuck with it and am seeing a difference now.
    Read thru the posts, there's good information and lots of support. Good Luck!
    Oh, and I too was a night eater... and I have had a snack a few times since I began here. But, I make it something good... not sweets or chips like before.
  • The key...Don't be to hard on yourself. You are your worst critic! So you screwed up a little...you've acknowledged that now move on. Use that as your motivation to do better. If you are interested there is a group going...Beginners Walking Challenge....never to late to join in. Even though I am dealing with a foot injury right now and cannot walk (dr's orders) I have been swimming and everyone continues to encourage me and support me. It really is great having other that you van talk to and that actually understand. Anytime you need a boost just let me know. Please consider the challenge we would love to have you. Or even if you want a swimming buddy we can challenge each other.....Stick with it and dont give up! You have already gotten past the worst part....Starting! :happy: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • tiff1632
    I would love to hear some expert opinion in the comment from Tiff1632 that any protein over 25g in one meal goes straight to fat. Not that I don't believe you Tiff, I have just never heard this. I had been upping my protein for my strength training, sometimes getting 40-50 grams in a meal (but still staying at 40/30/30 for the day), and I don't want to sabotage my own efforts to build muscle and lose fat. Thanks.

Hey, don't worry a lot of people think they can just eat a ton of clean food...but that is not the case. Too much of any type of calorie is bad!! Here is a site I use often. I am also in school for pharmacy and a fitness instructor...I am not saying I am an expert or anything....but know food :laugh: And rule of thumb...too much of anything is a bad thing!
    Read the article:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Thanks for the link Tiff, very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.