Need to find my core

Options
All of the exercises I try, the instructors are always saying - tighten your core, tighten your core.

I think I was born without one. :sad: Or, it's just so covered by insulation that I can't find it.
I feel like whenever I'm tightening my core (or whatever I THINK that my be), I feel as though I'm holding my breath. I try to keep reminding myself to breath correctly, but then I lose track of "tightening my core".

So... What are some good BASIC (I'm a beginner) exercises that I can try to best locate my core and strengthen it so that I can find it easier when instructed to?

Thanks!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Marking this thread because I need it too!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You should do some planks......they have really helped me strengthen my core (which includes your back as well as your stomach!). You lay on the floor face down, and then raise yourself up on your forearms (which are situated under your chest) and your toes. You can probably find a YouTube video to demonstrate the position. Hold for as long as you can (probably about 10 seconds to start) and then rest for 30 seconds or so and repeat. Do this a few times every day and gradually build up your time that you are holding the position. Great core exercise!
  • ShellBelle6
    ShellBelle6 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You should do some planks......they have really helped me strengthen my core (which includes your back as well as your stomach!). You lay on the floor face down, and then raise yourself up on your forearms (which are situated under your chest) and your toes. You can probably find a YouTube video to demonstrate the position. Hold for as long as you can (probably about 10 seconds to start) and then rest for 30 seconds or so and repeat. Do this a few times every day and gradually build up your time that you are holding the position. Great core exercise!

THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:
  • trina433
    Options
    same here! i want my gut gone so bad and i am willing to work extra hard to get it
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred has some great ab moves to help strengthen your core, including planks in workout 1. I have also started using a weighted medicine ball to do crunches on and I don't notice as much back pain as with a normal crunch.
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Feeling the same as the OP here. I shall try planks, any other suggestions anyone?
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Try finding a pilates course - this way an instructor will talk you through it and you're sure you're doing it right.
  • super_star_27
    super_star_27 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    IMHO I think planks are the best workout b/c they work the whole of the core, but bicycle crunches work the whole of the abs and obliques, so they're pretty good.

Also I find burpees work the core while being a good cardio workout, so they help shift the fat as well.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Google some of these:

Glute bridges
    Planks
    Ab wheel / dolly
    Dead bug
    Supermans
    Side planks

Remember to tighten the core and squeeze the butt during the exercise. After a while you can advance to more difficult exercises and you will be able to feel your core engaging with almost everything you do.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! :flowerforyou:

Yes, planks are AWESOME! I've recently graduated to doing full planks (on my hands instead of forearms) and man my abs are hurting after I do them! I love em! Also, push ups (on the knees is great for beginners), this not only works your arms, but you are using tons of core strength to hold your body steady. Also any time you do any other exercise, practice holding your core in tight. When you're sitting on the couch at home, try sitting straight up and holding your core in. These little changes will help improve core strength, plus help posture as well!
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    IMHO I think planks are the best workout b/c they work the whole of the core, but bicycle crunches work the whole of the abs and obliques, so they're pretty good.

Also I find burpees work the core while being a good cardio workout, so they help shift the fat as well.

Oh God, burpees make me want to kill myself. But they're SUCH a good workout :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Get Jillian Michaels' 6 Week Six-Pack DVD - you'll become very aware of your core. :happy:
  • super_star_27
    super_star_27 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I know right - I can only do about 10 until i collapse :/
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

I know right - I can only do about 10 until i collapse :/

This girl at my gym does them ONE HANDED and does like a million of them. She's a beast. I kind of want to be her.
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good old fashioned sit ups.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the constant contraction? For me doing hollow man helped alot but it took me about three to four months before I realized I finally got it. So just keep at it. I was just like you trying to figure out how to keep breathing at the same time but if you keep doing core and ab workouts your muscles are finally going to figure it out by them selfs.