Elliptical Question

Options
Hi everyone,

First, let me tell you why I got an elliptical. I already have a treadmill and bowflex, along with all of Jillian's workout video's that I use on a routinely basis. Over the last week I was starting to have some serious pain in my right knee which I injured in High School and have had repeated surgery on. I was looking for a good cardio workout that would give my knee a break, so was thinking a bike or elliptical. Everyone on here seemed to say that the elliptical would give a better workout than a stationary bike, so I went out and got one this weekend. Today when I got on it, I did about 5 minutes at a rate of 55 and my knee just started having shooting pains again. I thought the elliptical would take some of the impact off my knee, but today it did not seem like it.

So, I guess my question is....is this something that I just need to work through until my thigh's build up to the new routine, or is this more impact than I thought it was? If the elliptical is still going to give me knee pain, then I would rather return it and use that money to get a set of free weights and continue to run on my treadmill, but if it is just something that is going to take time to work into, then I want to keep it.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If your knee hurts, It will not get any better with time. I have a bad heel and I cannot run because of the impact, instead I have to do the elliptical. I dont know what kind of exercise would be lower impact for your knee, but it sounds like the elliptical is not the right thing for you.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Cardio-Ideas-Bad-Knees-964104
  • lyssgardi
    lyssgardi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you have bad knees, I wouldn't think that it is something that will go away. I would not keep it, unless you think in years it may get better and you'll want to use it. I have found that the stationary bike doesn't hurt my knee at all, even when the elliptical does. It isn't as amazing of a workout, but I still pour sweat! I just get some weights and work my arms while I do the bike, that helps a lot.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight (i was 216lbs) My knees hurt, I couldn't walk on treadmill, had to quit jillians 30 day shred cause of my knees. I started using the elliptical, and can do an hour on it. I also now do the arc machine. Last week I got on the treadmill, and did 30 min of walking/running, with no knee pain. So it's gotten better for me.

that said, Since you've had previous surgery on your knee I would check with your doctor about what you should do, and how to strengthen your knees.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I was having knee pain also in my right knee and got an elliptical. It is all I did for a couple of weeks and it hurt my knee worse.
    I took a break from it and it is a little better. I really dont think the elliptical is as low impact as it seems.
  • RCSimmonds
    Options
    I find the eliptical gives me sore knees, whereas biking and treadmill are fine. Generally I do not have sore knees, but do have problems with eliptical and lunges. I am 2kg off goal weight, so I would imagine that if you are further from goal then it would be even worse. Stick to something that doesn't cause the pain...
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I love to run, but can't do it daily or my knee flairs up. I wear a knee brace when doing any workout, but for some reason it seemed like the elliptical hurt more than the treadmill. I guess I will try it once more tomorrow and see how it feels and if I still have pain I will just return it.
  • lisalosing100
    lisalosing100 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor! Seriously, don't mess with knee pain.

And is there any chance it could be your shoes? Are you wearing a "shaping/toning" shoe? Were they professionally fitted at a running store? Are they altering your gait at all?
  • snlperdue93
    Options
    I have an appointment with my doc tomorrow for weigh in, measurements and blood work, so I will mention it when I am there. I work out in under armor running shoes that I love, so they don't have the toning stuff on the bottom. I always get a little pain in my knee when working out due to scar tissue and such, but these were like a sharp needle behind my knee cap :(
  • lisalosing100
    lisalosing100 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :( Bummer. I had knee/ankle pain on the elliptical when I first started. I know for me the culprit was my shoes...didn't realize they were a "shaper" when I bought them (cheap champion knockoffs). Switched to Nike Fusions and within 3 days there were no more issues. I was hoping you'd have a similarly simple solution.

I wish you the best!
  • figurekat
    figurekat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

First, let me tell you why I got an elliptical. I already have a treadmill and bowflex, along with all of Jillian's workout video's that I use on a routinely basis. Over the last week I was starting to have some serious pain in my right knee which I injured in High School and have had repeated surgery on. I was looking for a good cardio workout that would give my knee a break, so was thinking a bike or elliptical. Everyone on here seemed to say that the elliptical would give a better workout than a stationary bike, so I went out and got one this weekend. Today when I got on it, I did about 5 minutes at a rate of 55 and my knee just started having shooting pains again. I thought the elliptical would take some of the impact off my knee, but today it did not seem like it.

So, I guess my question is....is this something that I just need to work through until my thigh's build up to the new routine, or is this more impact than I thought it was? If the elliptical is still going to give me knee pain, then I would rather return it and use that money to get a set of free weights and continue to run on my treadmill, but if it is just something that is going to take time to work into, then I want to keep it.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

WHERE is your knee hurting. Underneath, on top, in the tendons? If your knee is messed up an elliptical may not have been the best choice for cardio. Get yourself a neoprene knee brace to help support AFTER the pain has subsided. In the meantime use the RICE method to rest it so as to prevent further injury. A good steady state exercise that spares your knees with a treadmill is to set it at a steep incline and walk. Provided you don't hold onto the machine at all you can get your heart rate between 140 and 170 depending on the incline and speed you walk, and it is low impact so it should not tax your knee. If this continues, immediately seek out your doctor.
  • jmulldome
    Options
    Definitely don't think that you can just work your way through it.
    This sounds like an issue you should at least get checked out with an orthopedic surgeon.

At least get it looked at, maybe with an x-ray or MRI.
    It could just be that your knee is out of alignment, but you won't know unless you have it looked at.

Trying to work through it will only make your situation worse.
  • snlperdue93
    Options
    The pain that I had yesterday was a shooting pain right under my knee cap. I have tons of scar tissue in my knee from multiple surgeries, and when a cold front comes through it tends to act up a bit more then normal. I am heading into the doc in an hour or so, so maybe she will have some ideas.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have ridiculously bad knees for my age. I bought an elliptical for the low-impact cardio workout. For a while, my knees couldn't take 5 minutes of it. It was awful! However, as I've worked at it for nearly two months, I can now do 35+ minutes without feeling like my knees need a rest. The pain I had when I started back in January is now gone.