martial arts of some sort?

Options
soo i am thinking down the line im going to have to find a way to exercise i enjoy, and have always been fascinated with most martial arts. but i have no experience. is there anybody else here that just randomly got into it? cause i think i'd feel weird in a class fun of 5 year olds. lol.

Replies

• kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started in college. And I was not the oldest person to start I saw in the year I was there either.

Most schools wouldn't put you in with 5 year olds ours did adult and children classes seperately. We were in classes with adults of all belt levels though (kids were split) So you will on occasion have a higher belt working with you on something or everyone will be working on kicks and punches and you will be in with those that really no what they are doing when your still new. My school was really nice and helpful though so it wasn't intimidating... at least not most of the time.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Most martial arts is not a great workout. You really have to do your research and visit a bunch of dojos to find one you enjoy. Most should have a free session or two, so try it out. Also, if they have insane belt testing fees (some have them in the $100+ range), go away.

If you want martial arts purely for fitness, go to an MMA gym that focuses on sparring. Nothing will get you in better shape than sparing with someone.
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I joined mixed martial arts in January and love it. It's a super work out- we mainly do kickboxing and cardio. I absolutely love it and leave there feeling great. Try a free trial.
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    From my experience (20+ years) I would recommend boxing first.
    Then perhaps Judo or Brazillian Jui Jitsu.

You can join a boxing gym or take boxing classes and never have to get in the ring. You just train like a boxer, and you've seen what their bodies look like.

For TRUE self defense, and a great work out, Judo is amazing. i highly recommend it.
    Try to stay away from what are known as "McDojo's". :)
    Ways to spot a McDojo: Many different colored uniforms. Students spend A LOT of time punching air and performing routines, sometimes to music. More than 5 belt levels...ha ha, I'm being harsh...
    DO NOT take on a contract. McDojo's will try to lock you in with a 6 month contract, etc.
    You should be able to pay class by class or for a month at a time.
    2-3 classes a week for a month should not be over $100 in my opinion.

I've trained in very good clubs (with professional fighters) and the most I ever paid was $50 a month.
    Check rec centers, YMCA's, etc for good clubs that are reasonably priced.

Good luck!
  • Vicki1276
    Options
    I started going to Body Combat which is a mixture of Karate, Boxing, Tai-Chi and more. Feel invigorated after every class!
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    i have jiu jitsu brown belt its very fun and when i started i got my *kitten* kicked by a black belt girl hahaha
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    My son was in muay thai and the adult beginning classes were pretty intense...they'd leave dripping with sweat! You should check it out I think it's basically kick boxing since they'd wear boxing gloves.
  • highlordb
    highlordb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Once i lost enough wait to be flexible and have some stamina I was thinking bout doing MMA just for the fun of it...it seems like it would be a great workout combining striking/wrestling and BJJ.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    For fitness purposes these are my picks in no specific order:

- Boxing
    - Kickboxing
    - Capoeira
    - MMA

For self defense my top pick is:

- Krav Maga

For self defense my secondary pick is:

- MMA

For self defense and fitness

- MMA
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I got into it randomly because my father owns a dojo where he teaches Shotokan karate, jiu-jitsu and self-defense. I was really into it in my early twenties, competed nationally, and had a body that I would now kill for. LOL I was pretty much solid muscle from being in the dojo 5 days per week. Sparring is definitely a great way to get in shape but you have to learn enough of the basics to get to the point where you won't hurt yourself or others.

I'll agree about the McDojos. My dad doesn't do contracts, doesn't have outrageous belt testing fees and has the traditional 6 belt colors, although he offers "stripes" for the kids so they feel like they're progressing. He also has separate adult and kids classes.

Exercise is definitely more fun if you're doing something you really enjoy. If you feel like martial arts might be your thing, then I say go for it.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've done Yang Style Tai Chi for many years and love it. I think most forms of martial arts can be beneficial to total fitness, especially with a good instructor.
    Good Luck, I hope you will pursue find the martial art that best suits you.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    thx so much guys for the info! i will be a long way off til i am able to join a dojo but i think i would really enjoy it. i will do research in my area. thx so much! :) i'd hate to join a regular gym. :P
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I used to do traditional in HS, but since then I have been in and out. As i just got back in in January I suggest Krav, its usually beginner friendly and high intensity work out. Plus great for self defense.