High Blood Pressure Medication

Options
Hello everyone...

I have been on high blood pressure medicine for over 10 years. Recently I have lost 100 pounds and am feeling great. I am wondering when in your weight loss journey have you visited with your doctor to get off the medication. Also, if you have discontinued the medication how did you feel it was time? Any advice would be helpful.

I think the medication might be hampering my weightloss right now, keeping my resting heart rate too low and not allowing my body to burn calories while at rest. I am probably way off, just don't want to go to the doctor if it is not time to drop the medication.

Starting Weight: 489 lbs
Current Weight: 388 lbs
Height: 6'4

Replies

• gbargsley
    Options
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    Great job losing 100 pounds! I have no idea about the blood pressure question however, I have to say that is a great job done on losing that much weight.
  • sharishopalot
    sharishopalot Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been on blood pressure medication for about 3 years. My SW was 193 my CW is between 152-154. My doctor has been after me to loose weight so that he would take me of the medication.. Several a weeks ago I went to the doc for a routine blood pressure check and he lowered my medication. I went from 25mg to 12.5 and in 6 weeks he will reevaluate my BP again to take me off completely... It took me about 7 months to loose the 41 pounds I have lost.. I have been slow at loosing it and still have 20 pds to loose..

I have to say please do not stop taking your medication because you feel you don't need it.. Please consult with your doctor. Stopping this medication cold turkey can have adverse affects.. (Sorry I don't mean to preach but I just don't wan you to harm yourself)
    Be patient friend it will happen.... Congratulations on you current weight loss and I wish you nothing but the best!!! :smile:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    I have not been on blood pressure meds as long as you, but my doctor has been lowing the doses and removing me from meds all along my weight loss. I used to be on 5 different pills, now I am down 2 and the one is only half dosage. My doctor knows I monitor my BP at home, so is willing to do stuff like that with the understanding that if my BP goes up after a change we change back. All this to say, talk to your doctor now and you can probably see a least a change in your medication amounts. Also talk to your doctor or pharmacist about how your meds may be affecting your weight loss. They are both resources that most people don't make enough use of.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been wrestling with the same issue. I am on a diuretic (sp) and atenelol (sp). My blood pressure has gone from 130-140/90ish to 115ish/70ish. The nurse practitioner I see said to look into going off of it when my bp goes to under 110/50ish. I know if I miss a day of the diuretic i start blowing up and can gain almost 5 pounds of water weight. Sometimes I think that maybe that means my body isn't ready to be off the meds? I really don't know either.

If I were you I'd look up symptoms of low blood pressure and just watch out for those. That's what I plan to do along with monitoring the bp at home.
  • Islasgirl
    Islasgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great that you have lost so much weight. If you don't have a BP monitor then go to the drug store and have it taken. You are young enough to make a big difference. My daughter is also upset that the doctor still wants her on meds. But I do believe you and her will be able to get off the meds all together. High BP isn't always caused by obesity. If yours was then your doctor will remove the pills. Just be patient. I had hoped for the same thing but waited too long at 68. Just got a pacemaker because of bradycardia and pulse of 27. Keep up the good work and once you keep track of your numbers you can take them to your doctor and perhaps get off the meds. Good luck! And again, good for you!!
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I started getting headaches and felt weird. Similar to when my blood pressure first got high. I had them take it and my norm runs 155/95, but when they retook my bp the top number was under one hundred and the bottom barely over like 70. They said it was good, but i felt it was too low for me, or i wouldn't be having headaches. So, i started taking half a pill instead and it's fine now. i would definitely check with them first though and have a way to check it yourself. You want to make sure it is consistently way lower and not just one day before going off meds.
  • mecmh
    mecmh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 23 lbs so far, and my doctor had to lower my dosage, since my blood pressure was getting too low. You may want to talk to your doctor soon.
  • judykay500
    Options
    Great job on the 100 lb. weight loss! You notice a definite difference in the way you feel with the 100 lb. difference so imagine how much better you will feel with the next 100 lbs. gone! You will want to change up your activities and continue to track your daily intake. You definitely DO NOT want to go off of your blood pressure medicine without consulting your doctor. Maybe it is time to make an appointment with your doctor for a complete physical and to discuss your recent weight loss and for your continuing weight loss program. Always better to be safe than sorry. Good luck! Oh and congratulations on your decision to improve your health and change your life for the better!!