Is burning 1000 calories to much if?

Options
So I am asking this for my friend. She doesn't want to lose weight she just wants to be tone and get her stomach to go down just a little. So she basically don't watch her calorie intake but she works out doing the eliptical abt 1 hr a day and said her machine said 1000 calories burned. Is that to much to burn if she don't want to lose?

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    So I am asking this for my friend. She doesn't want to lose weight she just wants to be tone and get her stomach to go down just a little. So she basically don't watch her calorie intake but she works out doing the eliptical abt 1 hr a day and said her machine said 1000 calories burned. Is that to much to burn if she don't want to lose?

any net calorie deficit equals weight loss. You can't just "tone" or make a stomach go flat without weight loss.
  • Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt she is burning 1000 calories in an hour on the elliptical. They are notorious for giving over-estimates on your calorie burn. The only way it could even be close to that would be if she is morbidly obese and if that were the case she'd need to lose weight.

Anyway, alexpapa is correct. If she wants to "tone" that means she has an overlay of fat. And, if she wants her stomach to go down then she needs to lose weight. To do it properly though she really needs to be counting her calorie intake as well. Even giving herself a 500 calorie deficit daily (1 pound per week) she should be where she wants to be in no time.
    Exercise alone is not the way to lose weight. It's a good way to get frustrated and quit. You need both parts, counting what's going in as well as what's being burnt.
  • ashliehawk
    Options
    I highly doubt she is burning 1000 calories in an hour on the elliptical. They are notorious for giving over-estimates on your calorie burn. The only way it could even be close to that would be if she is morbidly obese and if that were the case she'd need to lose weight.

Anyway, alexpapa is correct. If she wants to "tone" that means she has an overlay of fat. And, if she wants her stomach to go down then she needs to lose weight. To do it properly though she really needs to be counting her calorie intake as well. Even giving herself a 500 calorie deficit daily (1 pound per week) she should be where she wants to be in no time.
    Exercise alone is not the way to lose weight. It's a good way to get frustrated and quit. You need both parts, counting what's going in as well as what's being burnt.

Haha thats what I was thinking! That is ALOT to burn. She isn't the type to count calories or watch what she eats she loves food. But to me really she is not at all big and I would love to look like her, her tummy isn't even big. Lol
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't need to lose weight, she probably should be doing more weight/strength training and yoga and less cardio. Switch it up to 2 days cardio 3 days strength. She would probably see her body fat go down and her size decrease as well. I agree with the previous posters that say don't trust the calorie burn on the machines.