Black coffee - how many calories?

Options
I am really confused!!! I want to add black coffee to my food diary (Kenco) but there are loads of different ones in the database and they all have different calories listed - what is right???

Cat

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    black coffee really is negliable - I just picked a generic one that says 8 ounces = 2 calories. It's what you add to it that adds a lot of sugars and unneccesary calories...you really do need to measure out if you are using a higher calorie creamer - I was using a flavored creamer until recently (I am on a 30 day paleo challenge) and I had to make sure I measured out a TBSP - if not I got a little heavy handed and that would mean extra calories I didn't need. I currently am using unsweetened coconut milk 0 since a cup is only 50 calories I can afford to be a little heavy handed with that...
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Starbucks coffee lists a tall hot black coffee as 5 calories. I would go with this, as that is also what my instant coffee says. Personally I don't log coffee unless something goes in it.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I use the 2 calories for an 8 ounce black.
  • ReJoyceInHim
    Options
    New here, so not sure this is the place to ask....but....can coffee count as part of your 8 glasses of water a day?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am really confused!!! I want to add black coffee to my food diary (Kenco) but there are loads of different ones in the database and they all have different calories listed - what is right???

Cat

Virtually nil calories, just put coffee into your diary for your own info, but certainly don't worry about the calorie content. Black tea and coffee - especially if unsweetened are next to nothing calorie-wise :)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    New here, so not sure this is the place to ask....but....can coffee count as part of your 8 glasses of water a day?
    This sometimes starts an argument, but I say yes.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    maybe like 4 tops.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use K-cups and they all seem to be 2 calories regardless of flavor, so I just created a recipe for the amount of half and half and Equal I put it in it. When I go to Starbucks, they say 5 calories (black) and that seems to be a match since my serving there is almost twice what my Keurig can make.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drink 8 cups of coffee and call it your water....but one, sure!
  • cricket_0408
    cricket_0408 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

No, I would not count coffee as part of your water intake, especially if you are drinking caffeinated coffee. Caffeine is a diuretic, which means it pulls excess water from your body and makes you pee it out.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

No, if it has caffeine in it-it doesn't count. Asked my dietitian.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The coffee I drink (Folgers Dark) is about 4 calories for 6 oz. Most people don't even worry about logging things like coffee or tea; just the sugar, milk, or creamer they add to it.
  • metrocast
    Options
    I didn't know we count coffee <<< wow>>> I'm glad I read this
    :happy:
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't think black coffee has enough calories to bother adding. I started adding because I'm trying to keep my potassium input up and black coffee has quite a bit, so it's nice to see the numbers. (Most of the coffee entries don't list it, I had to look to find one that did)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

If your goal is hydration, keep in mind that caffeine is a diuretic. I drink several cups of caffeinated coffee a day. For me, I find that this means I actually have to drink MORE than 64 oz of water to make up for it.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Teas and coffes have zero-very little calories Its when you start adding sugar and cream/milk is when you get the calories
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Very few, 2kCal/2g =~1 teaspoon coffee. do 12 secs jumping jacks and you'll be fine! ;) as people have said, milk, creamers, sugar and even some sweetners add calories.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

You're never going to find people who agree on this question. Most ... some ... okay a few would agree that water is better for you nutritionally as it doesn't have too many extras in it. (My tap water has so much iron in it, I can put a gallon of it in the refrigerator and the next day its color has an orange tint.) However, many argue the point that if you take a glass of water to down your caffeine pill it's still water - much like coffee is still water with caffeine in it.

Here's what I know for certain .... I'm not giving coffee up. I drink 8-12 cups before I walk out my door in the morning. It helps me get moving in more ways than one. My next drink of choice is water. Rarely am I dehydrated. I know this by the color of my urine.

If you want it. Drink it. If it's all you're drinking then you may want to consider adding other liquids to your diet.
  • RangerSteve
    Options

No, I would not count coffee as part of your water intake, especially if you are drinking caffeinated coffee. Caffeine is a diuretic, which means it pulls excess water from your body and makes you pee it out.

So you're telling me that drinking 16oz of coffee is going to make you pee out more than 16oz of water that your body has stored? That's just not true. Caffeine stimulates vassopressin, the anti-diuretic hormone. You're still going to get water intake from drinking coffee, you'll just pee a little more.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

no I would not - water is just that water - I am of the belief the only thing that counts as water is water - however other people see if differently - if you want to use flavorings - such as crystal light or Mio if that is what it takes for your to drink water - then go for it - but anything with caffine or a lot of added stuff I would not count it as water...