Thoughts on eliminating all complex carbs?

Options
Hi,

I've been thinking... Is it a good idea for me to eliminate all complex carbs from my diet? That means no pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. I would eat beans, nuts, veggies, fruits, and some dairy. Thoughts?

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Umm ..... why?

Do you have a medical condition that makes if difficult to digest carbs?

My diet philosophy is this ..... make lifestyle changes that I intend to KEEP for the rest of my life. For me to keep the weight off, I need to make permanent changes. I am reducing lower quality carbs (processed foods) but I am keeping complex carbs. These carbs provide fiber & help me stay full longer. All carbs are NOT bad.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Complex carbs are the good ones, they are important in your diet as they help to keep you full and your body works harder to digest them.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You say complex carbs but then mention giving up bread, pasta, etc. Those are simple carbs, not complex.

And obviously the previous posters didn't even read your post and just saw "giving up complex carbs".
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The complex vs. simple dichotomy is something of a false dichotomy, the rate at which you absorb carbs falls along a spectrum that cannot be divided that neatly. That said, I think you have your types of carbs reversed.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    I guess you mean simple carbs. Not really recommended to skip the complex ones altogether.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yea as above mentioned, you list simple carbs not complex ones, complex carbs are excellent for you and should be utilized as sources of energy, sweet potatoes , fibrous veggies etc
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The complex carbs are the ones to keep. It's the simple, white carbs you might want to cut out of your diet.

That said, I needed to do just that in order to have success losing weight and keeping it off. I've found that the more of those kinds of carbs I eat, the more I want to eat and simply calories in/calories out just doesn't work for me. Everyone is different. If you feel like it would help you, then go for it. You'll still get carbs from veggies and other sources.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    I don't see any problem with cutting out starchy carbs - bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. - if it's something you can stick to. I see those as pretty empty calories.

Sometimes those are the happiest kind, though.
  • coquette87
    Options
    You say complex carbs but then mention giving up bread, pasta, etc. Those are simple carbs, not complex.

And obviously the previous posters didn't even read your post and just saw "giving up complex carbs".

This. To the OP - you seem to be confused on what complex carbs are. Complex carbs are starches, fiber, etc. That includes whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, potatoes, vegetables, etc. Simple carbs are glucose, fructorse, maltose, lactose. So that includes white bread, white pasta, as well as dairy and fruits, as well as candy and chocolate.
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    I think you might have it a little confused ..Complex carbs are all the good high fiber/veggie ones...simple starches and junk carbs are white breads and basic pastas ..chips ..candy etc ...

I dropped those but I still eat beans..lentils.. green leafy veggies/ broccoli etc...I added back nuts and I am slowly adding back some pasta, rice, potato and natural sugar through fruits ...really small portions only. Say 1 cup or less..
  • angelgutierrez
    Options
    I have and i have felt a lot better doing it. No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans or nuts, I eat a lot of veggies, fruits and lean meats. I always feel satisfied, so i dont have the hunger pangs or cravings any more.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's possible to do so and still have a healthy diet. It's not going to help you lose any weight, unless it causes you to reduce calories.

Bread and pasta are not simple carbs.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Good point ..... I considered bread as a complex carb because I stopped eating white bread years ago. But the point is, there are "better" for you bread & pasta choices that would be more complex.
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    It's possible to do so and still have a healthy diet. It's not going to help you lose any weight, unless it causes you to reduce calories.

Bread and pasta are not simple carbs.

Wouldn't white bread thats been stripped and then fortified (whatever that means) be a simple carb..same as pastas done that way ...I am adding back only mulitgrain breads ..and higher fiber pasta...wild or brown rices etc...I am no expert at all !
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs are glucose, fructorse, maltose, lactose. So that includes white bread, white pasta, as well as dairy and fruits, as well as candy and chocolate.
    Wouldn't white bread thats been stripped and then fortified (whatever that means) be a simple carb..same as pastas done that way ...I am adding back only mulitgrain breads ..and higher fiber pasta...wild or brown rices etc...I am no expert at all !

You guys are confusing processed carbs with simple carbs.
  • Camilalea
    Camilalea Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes, I guess I do mean simple carbs.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm not sure why folks are saying that bread, pasta, and potatoes do not contain complex carbs. They certainly do. Simple carbs means mono and di saccarides; ie sugars. Even so, there are very few foods that you could eat that were only complex carbs or only simple carbs. They tend to both be in the same package.

That aside, I think there is nothing wrong with cutting down on bread, pasta, and potatoes, if you feel that you are overeating on them or that their calorie counts make it difficult to eat enough fresh produce. If you cut them out altogether, you may find yourself binging or craving them. Maybe keep yourself to one baked potato, one serving of pasta, and make pancakes or bread from scratch once a week.

What about things like brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, etc.? Is it only refined flour products that you're trying to get away from? Or what?
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Sorry, yes, I guess I do mean simple carbs.

Yes, get rid of "many" simple carbs (not all) Fruit (and dairy too) contains simple carbs. Don't cut out ALL fruit to get rid of a few carbs. Fruit has many other nutrients & fiber (and dairy has lots of protien). Eat "real" fruit. Juices & fruit cups often add sugar & take away fiber. Keep as many processed foods out of your diet as you can.
  • Nivstar
    Nivstar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did the Atkins diet last year and lost around 6 kg in 4 months.. I eliminated nearly all carbs and ate mostly protien.. (I allowed myself 25 net carbs per day). Although I lost weight (and have kept it off ) my doctor advised me not to continue it as I should be eating a balanced diet. I tend to agree but can't seem to make myself eat all those carbs like pasta, potato, rice, etc how I use to.. Hope this helps x

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/complex.htm