How to improve breathing technique?

Jax67
Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I wonder if you can help me, i live in the Uk and have just bought The Biggest Loser workout DVD. Its the first one they have brought out over here and its quite hard.

I have found that i can keep up to a degree but am starting to feel lightheaded and dizzy which means i have to sit down and wait for my heart to slow down... it feels like its trying to jump out of my chest.

I have found that i can't inhale as far as i think i should, it just stops :frown:

How can i improve this? anyone?

Sorry if it seems a stupid question but i don't want to keel over, i want to keep going.

Thanks

Jax

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Have you been tested for Asthma? Get it evaluated by a doctor. I have asthma during summer only due to the heat and humidity, I have to carry an inhailer with me...but only June-August.
  • Jax67
    Hi, thanks for replying.

No i haven't been tested for Asthma...thats something i hadn't thought about.

Thanks

Jax
  • When I first started running I found that my breathing was making it more difficult. I started doing yoag and swimming. These two exercises are great techniques for breathing. Plus during the video, I would suggest focusing on consistently breathing throughout. This will keep oxygen flowing to your muscles which will help you last longer.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    1. take it easier - if you keep sitting, your heartrate will bounce all over and contribute to how dizzy you get.
    2. are you actually BREATHING during the exercises, or do you hold your breath?
    3. Yeah, asthma. check that out.
    4. Are you properly hydrated/ fed when you start this? Eat a nice protein-filled meal 2 hours before and drink LOTS of water - it helps me out.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Take it a little bit easier during the workout... and if you need a break, do it while marching in place instead of sitting down, preferably BEFORE you feel like you're going to die. I don't know the routine on the dvd, but maybe if you can replace every other move with marching, and then work your way up to doing the whole routine straight.
  • Jax67
    Thanks for that....
    1. Ok i'll try going more at my pace and not try to keep up with them so much.
    2. You may be right here, i do think i may be holding it some of the time, in between the grunts and yelps!! lol
    3. Yep i'm gonna get this checked.
    4. I do have a glass of water which i drink during the workout, but i'm not the worlds best at drinking my 8 a day....... i must improve!

Thank you

Jax
  • Jax67
    Take it a little bit easier during the workout... and if you need a break, do it while marching in place instead of sitting down, preferably BEFORE you feel like you're going to die. I don't know the routine on the dvd, but maybe if you can replace every other move with marching, and then work your way up to doing the whole routine straight.
    [/quote

Good idea... i think i just want it all now! and i forget that actually the reason i am like this is because i am UNFIT! lol

I will slow it down and start listening to my body

Jax
  • I have severe allergies which can induce asthma but prefer not to use inhalers. What I was taught, which is quite effective, is to not concentrate on inhaling but rather exhaling (almost abruptly through the mouth - like a gust - difficult to explain when you can't demonstrate). So every 4th step you make sure you exhale completely which will inturn cause you to inhale deeply immediately (do so through your nose). You'll find it calms your breathing rhythm and therefore you'll be more oxygenated and less lightheaded. If this doesn't work, I agree with the others, you're trying for too much too fast. Go half the pace they are going at for the next week and then slowly catch up with them, all the while exhaling every 4th step. 1, 2, 3, 4 Exhale through the mouth, inhale through the nose. 1, 2, 3, 4 repeat.

Hope that helps,

Nikky
This discussion has been closed.