I need a new hobbie

Options
cekeys
cekeys Posts: 397 Member
Hey MFP pals,

I'm giving up video games for Lent & that's going to leave me a lot of free time for the next 6 weeks when I'm not at the gym or work. What should I get into?

EDIT: Oh jeez, I misspelled hobby.

Replies

• missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I would say "knitting", but I'm not sure how much that would appeal to you. Lots of options for super nerdy knits, though!
  • ukjamie
    ukjamie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Im a cross stitcher and an astronomer, and astrophotographer. Love it. and it keeps me very entertained.

These are some of my pics:
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/sandrarichards/DSC_31462.jpg
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/sandrarichards/Startrails1jan21st2withclouds.jpg
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/sandrarichards/orionstacked-2PS1.jpg
    Moon, star trails and The Orion Nebula.
  • SassyJuliana
    SassyJuliana Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Go scuba diving! You'll have plenty of time to get your certification!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Do volunteer work! It's a blast and you can help people at the same time. It's a win-win situation :D
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    read, paint, fix up your house, volunteer
  • PompousClock
    Options
    Read a book a week. Engage your brain in topics you normally don't get a chance to ponder.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    reading (actual books, not internet stuff), writing, volunteering for an organization you believe in, learn how to play a new card or board game, explore your neighborhood, look up free tours around your city, museum free days (I'm all about the cheap fun lol)...
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Learn to play an instrument. Guitar. Keyboard. Harmonica.

ETA: And I also second knitting. Guys knit.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you like dogs you could volunteer with a dog resscue group. It is very rewarding and there is always a lot they need. Some even need people to go walk the dogs they have. You would be doing something nice and getting exercise. :-)
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Do volunteer work! It's a blast and you can help people at the same time. It's a win-win situation :D

:bigsmile: :heart:
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    If you like dogs you could volunteer with a dog resscue group. It is very rewarding and there is always a lot they need. Some even need people to go walk the dogs they have. You would be doing something nice and getting exercise. :-)

and another great idea, :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

See if there's a special needs vocational program in your area.. I know the ones I work with are always looking for helpers!
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

and another great idea, :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

See if there's a special needs vocational program in your area.. I know the ones I work with are always looking for helpers!

YES!!! I volunteer at our city's SPCA by walking dogs a few times a month. I love it!! :)