HELP!!

I'm having surgery in a couple days & will need at least 6 weeks to recover (with no exercise) I'm having a really hard time with this because I just started mfp and was hoping to lose 20 pounds by July... has anyone had any success with dropping pounds without exercise??

I'm 33, 5'3 and 145. I lost 30 pounds last February - July with healthy eating and lots of exercise... then I got "comfortable" and pretty much maintained my loss for months, now I'm ready to lose the last 20 & just found out I needed surgery :( Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful it is only minor and things definitely could be worse... BUT at the same time I'm feeling a little discouraged and worried that this will hold me back from finally reaching my goal!!!

Replies

• gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 723 Member
    It can be done. My ex-wife lost nearly all of her weight (30+ pounds) while on Weight Watchers without exercising. You are going to have to be very strict about watching what you are eating.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,210 Member
    Hi, hope your surgery goes well.

I haven't got personal experience but I am sure in diet deficit alone you can do this! Depending what you are having done - and don't go against your dr's here, but perhaps there are things you could do? or is it total bed rest? Just thinking maybe you could use light weights for your arms, walk or something later on?

If all else fails 6 weeks is not big in the grand scheme of thins, but your health IS so take rest and recovery as part of your long term goal - then you could work off the 20lbs!!

Good luck.
  • Thanks for responding :) I am definitely feeling a little better.. I know if I stick with it, even with no exercise I should lose something! Maybe not as much as I would with exercise, but... better than stuffing my face and gaining weight!! You are right, 6 weeks is really not that long when you look at the big picture!! Very motivating to hear about losing weight with no exercise doing weight watchers!!! Thanks you guys :)
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    My co-worker is down 15 pounds from dieting only, while I'm only down 8 from diet and exercise.
  • When you say no exercise, does that eliminate walking? If you can't walk but can still move your arms around, maybe do some light upper body work?
  • kedgin
    kedgin Posts: 29 Member
    When I first started losing weight again this year, I was so busy that I didn't have time to properly workout. I lost all 9lbs by watching what I was eating and also watching portion sizes.

As one of the other posters wrote, you have to be diligent about making sure you are eating within calorie range and logging in. Many people I have talked to, myself included, say that logging in is not only an accountability to yourself but also to others. (I personally don't want someone to see when I hit a chocolate craving binge, but when I see it myself - I always wonder what I was thinking.)

Good luck!
  • I am down 67lbs with pretty much diet only (walk about a mile to work 5 days a week which I don't really look at as exercise) The thing you have to be careful about is picking foods that are nutrient dense, if you eat lots of starches (bread, rice, pasta, processed foods, etc) your body will not get the nutrients it needs to function right and you will just feel like crap. Diet of eggs, lean meats (plus bacon), vegetables, and some fruits you can feel great while still missing out on 500 calories a week.
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    I had the same concern going into my surgery when I was doing so well dropping weight. I had surgery (fixing a deviated septum and cleaning out some cysts) on February 7th and was just given the go ahead to do light walking and light weights from a seated position (nothing over 30 lbs) today. I've dropped 11 lbs since surgery by restricting my calorie intake. It can be done. All I did was set the MFP exercise goals to zero and recalculated my intake for a healthy loss of 1.9 lbs. You might want to find out what type of anesthesia they will put you under. Some types take a while to recover from.

Don't forget that if they use IV's you will gain a few lbs the first day you weigh yourself after surgery. It will then come off pretty quickly afterwards.

fatguyweightloss makes a few good points too. I'm on a protein rich diet with zero dairy and grains.

11810586.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!