Knee Surgery is going to set me back

Options
I'm pretty worried up about this up coming knee surgery...Minimum of 6 weeks on crutches...any ideas on how to stay in shape and not lose what I have gained over the past 6 weeks....

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Another one of my friends hurt her knee and can't do all the things that she usually does but today she was going to try to do some upper body stuff. I really think I would also change my goal to maintenance so you will have more calories. Praying for you.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Upper body strength training (abs, arms, back, chest, shoulders) and upper body cardio (check out chair exercises or wheelchair exercises on YouTube and Google). There is also a torso machine at my gym that is like a stationary bike but you pedal with your arms. You can up the resistance and get a pretty good workout in.

Also, just maneuvering on those crutches will be a workout :)
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i've just had knee surgery( partail meniscus cartilage removal via keyhole 4 months ago) and you know i've got to say this, let youself recover from whatever it is your having done and don't worry about the weight loss, eat maintainance and give your body time to heal before you exercise. common sense really don't beat yourself up about it.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm having ankle surgery next week, and like you I'm worried about this undoing everything I've achieved over the last few weeks. I'm going to concentrate on upper body and just try to eat really healthily whilst I recover.

Good with with your surgery and recovery
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing is to recover. Don't worry about the performance issue. Sure, you'll lose some of it. But you can regain it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're having done..I had my ACL replaced and was able to do light cycling (on the stationary bike) pretty quickly. You may also be allowed to swim. Will you have a physical therapist after? Ask them what you can do..and also if there's anything you can do before the surgery to help you after. Good luck!!!