How to start HIIT

Hi Guys,

I'd like my cardio work to be more efficient and i've decided to give HIIT a go.

I normally just do about 20 mins on the elliptical/crosstrainer but i'm willing to do other machines like bike, treadmill etc.
I'm just not sure how hard to go and for how long in the sprinting part when beginning.

Any advice would be great.

Replies

• when I started my HIIT work out I was using a 1:4 ratio. I would run for 30 seconds walk for 2 mins. After two weeks I changed to 1:3 which I ran for 30 seconds than rested for a min and a half. now I'm on the third phase of running 1:2 ratio. run 45 second rest a min and a half. my last phase will be 1:1 run 45 rest 45.

My advice is do what you can with the fitness level that you are at. I like to go as hard as I can for that 30 seconds, meaning I feel like my body wouldn't be able to run anymore after 30 seconds hits. If you are using an elliptical see if you can keep your stride per min at a certain pace for 10-30 seconds and then slow down and take the rest that you need and repeat for the time you want to work out. make sure that you are changing your intensity level or duration every couple of weeks because your body will acclimated to the ones that you are working at.