How to calculate calories when weighing FROZEN chicken...hel

Options
2»

Replies

• mekikya
    mekikya Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's cooked chicken before knows it weighs LESS after you cook it...4 oz portion of frozen or raw chicken weighs between 2.2 and 2.8 oz cooked, depending on the chicken and how it was processed...unlike grains and rices that gains more weight after cooking...because the juices come out of the chicken vs being soaked up by the rice...

I also have a hard time judging the calories in chicken..I usually go by the cooked weight. When I weighed 4 peices of Tyson frozen chicken breasts on my scale it came to 8 oz(they are small pieces), after it was cooked on my george foreman, nothing added, but a tiny dash of spice, it weight just a bit over 4 oz....so i counted a serving and a half for that much just to be on the safe side of calories...
  • jbags5
    Options
    I was having the exact same issue. Couldn't figure out the serving size for my frozen chicken breasts from walmart.

I bought a 5 lbs bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts similar to these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Chicken-Breast-Fillets-Boneless-Skinless-W-Rib-Meat-Poultry-3-lb/10414680

I imagine all of these frozen chicken breast varieties have similar size breast pieces (assuming you didn't buy butterfly breasts or some other variety) - in mine, a single piece when frozen is about the same length and thickness of my hand from wrist to forefinger (a 5'6" man's hand ;)

On my label, it said serving size of 4 oz, and 20 servings per container (80 oz. total). I counted out the breasts in the bag - 14. 80/14 = 5.7 oz. (approx) per breast. I just round up to 6 oz, and count it as 1.5 servings per piece in the MFP app.

Hope this helps!!
  • whatup_imtopher
    Options
    /
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't! Its full of water when frozen and it melts when thawed.

When I did Weight watchers they had 2 separate entries for frozen verses thawed and it was vastly different.

If you buy fresh chicken breasts and freeze them no weight is added
  • WilliamNeal2
    Options
    Is there a nutritionist in the community that can give a correct answer to the weight issue or someone from myfitnesspal.com with the correct dietician answer. Best regards.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/qanda-are-meat-nutrition-labels-based-on-raw-or-cooked-weight/2014/02/04/b6f5e2b4-89c0-11e3-916e-e01534b1e132_story.html

"On packaged raw meat and poultry products, the nutrition facts are listed based on the product’s raw weight"
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Christ..... just weight the chicken cooked. The difference it will make is MINIMAL calories, if any at all.

I weigh cooked always.... less messy.