Running

Options
Hey guys. I currently weigh almost 230lbs. Is it a good idea to take up running or will the pressure be too much for my knees. (I do have a back problem and weak joints but I have been exercising against doctors orders)

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My buddy Big Tim ran his first marathon at ~ 260 lbs (down from 400).
  • dablaksista
    dablaksista Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ok thanks arc x
  • monharri
    Options
    i also have bad knees but i'm training for my first 5k. warm, salt baths help me as well as flax seed oil--it helps out my joints. you can always try speed walking and then work your way up to a steady jog when your knees feel stronger.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I currently weigh almost 230lbs. Is it a good idea to take up running or will the pressure be too much for my knees. (I do have a back problem and weak joints but I have been exercising against doctors orders)

While I applaud your desire to be active and take positive action or yourself, I really think if you're under doctor's orders, you either need to tell your doctor "nope, this is what I'm doing", or get a new doctor. Starting a running program can provide a lot of new stresses to your body, and if you;re already having problems, it could exacerbate them.

That said, your body will let you know if you're pushing it too hard. It's called pain.
  • CalienteChica
    CalienteChica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, then anyone can do it. Running on the treadmill is easier than runnisng outside. I just got done doing a jog. Its cold outside so the air bothered me more than my joints, lol..... good luck
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    No problem with running but take it slow and that goes for someone who is 110 lbs or 310 lbs. Your Cardio will most likely improve faster than your leg muscles so it's easy to fool yourself into thinking you can do more than your body is ready for. Just get yourself a nice running program ( I love Run5K on my iPhone ) and slowly get used to running and you'll really enjoy it!
  • patiblue
    Options
    I wrote a reply to your question. but I decided to delete it after reading other people's replies on this thread.

I thought I could offer some insight because I tried a program called couch to 5k, if you want to learn more about it just google C25K.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    (I do have a back problem and weak joints but I have been exercising against doctors orders)

In light of this info, perhaps you should start with something lower impact. Maybe biking or the elliptical at the gym? Swimming? There are plenty of great ways to get exercise that won't exacerbate your joint problems.

Am I reading correctly-is your doctor advising you against all forms of exercise, or just running?

Please remember that as you lose the weight you could always ease into running later. I really don't advise you to go against your physician's orders. There is a reason they were given to you. Care to enlighten us, if you know?
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    ...and please remember that most of these people on the forums are not in the medical profession. In fact, I have to wonder if they even read your whole post with all of their "Yay! Do this program!" and "If I can do it, anyone can do it!" Did only one other poster notice that OP clearly stated that her doc told her not to run and that she has some health problems that may not be conducive to her starting a running regimen at this point in time? Sometimes answers on this forum make me want to bang my head against a wall.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options

When I started running I weighed 275...I listened to my body
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hmm, you're asking the advice of people who know virtually nothing about you and who have almost zero medical knowledge about taking up running even though your doctor has advised you to not exercise because you have a bad back and weak joints.

I hope this works out for you.

[Edited my post 'cause it was snarky.]