No pushups?

Options
I have a chronic shoulder injury and just canNOT do pushups (not without causing dislocation anyway). What can replace them?

Replies

• Tshuggah42
    Options
    That's a tough one. The shoulder is what links everything together. It links your arms to your neck, your chest... You can go very very light on chest flyes. Or bench with a light bar. But even that's risky. Not too many options out there with that shoulder injury.
  • seelmanz
    seelmanz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would recommend incline and decline presses using dumbbells as opposed to a straight bar. I also have shoulder issues and have found that the dumbbells allow your shoulder to move in a way that is comfortable for you. Otherwise, you force your shoulder to comply with the direction of the bar and it does not allow for any rotation. The incline and decline presses also allow your shoulder to rotate in a more natural direction rather than straight up an down like a flat bench.

Hope this helps!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! That's good to hear about the chest flys...I already do those along with workout DVDs whenever they're doing pushups, so that makes me feel better. I feel like I could do decline presses for sure...it's such a weird setup in the shoulder, very unstable when facedown, much better when face up, in between when vertical.

Also @Seelmanz, definitely you are right about the dumbbells...I would never touch a bar lol...too scary :)