Watermelon good for weightlost????

Options
tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
I heard that watermelon helps flush out water weight and is really good for diets does anyone know if this is true???

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Watermelon contains a lot of water so yes it will help keep you hydrated thus helping to reduce water weight. But it is no better than drinking water and you have to be careful to watch your sugar intake.

Overall, watermelon is a great food to eat, on a diet or not on one. Great on warm summer days too!:flowerforyou:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is high in potassium and I have heard that taking take potassium can cause you to reduce water due to the way it interacts with sodium though I don't know the details.

This is what Dietitian.com says about potassium and sodium:
    "Potassium is necessary for water balance and is found inside of every cell in your body. The potassium inside the cells balances the sodium outside the cells to maintain pressure and water balance in the body. Otherwise, if either the potassium or the sodium is high or either low or one high and the other one low, a pooling of water or dehydration can occur."

However, you would be better off just reducing you sodium intake and making sure you drink plenty of water.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I eat watermelon, I go potty,,, makes sense to me. I do fruit salad with watermelon & cantaloupe & strawberries. Good stuff and light light light. :wink:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It's my go-to diet food because it's refreshing, healthy and filling. It was interesting reading the comments.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Im just wondering if i had a cup for a snack a day would that help me get this water weight out.. I have a hard time with water weight and keeping it off
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    try it and let us know :drinker:

i bought a watermelon earlier in the year. i wanted a small one but ended up with a big one. 14 pounds! that thing was EXPENSIVE! i cut it up into about a thousand baggies full. needless to say, EVERYONE at work got to eat some watermelon that week. :bigsmile: :laugh: can you tell im not a good grocery shopper? :wink:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I was told by my OB to eat watermelon during my pregnancy because it was a natural diuretic, but you have to watch it because it is high in sugar.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The thing about the sugar though, is that it's very "spread out." You have to eat a LOT of watermelon for it to affect your bloodsugar levels. That's why it's high on the glycemic index but has a low glycemic load.

Watermelon rocks. It has tons of lycopene too, which is fantastic for you.