Calories burned - Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I've recently started using a MIO strapless HRM to track my heart rate and get a better idea of my calories burned. I just finished doing some interval work on a treadmill, alternating my speeds and it's telling me I burned 598 calories in 38 minutes. Any time I increased or decreased my intensity I checked my heart rate (per the user manual), and I was just concerned that this wasn't accurate.
Stats:
6' tall
332lbs
26 year old male.

Replies

• dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using a MIO strapless HRM to track my heart rate and get a better idea of my calories burned. I just finished doing some interval work on a treadmill, alternating my speeds and it's telling me I burned 598 calories in 38 minutes. Any time I increased or decreased my intensity I checked my heart rate (per the user manual), and I was just concerned that this wasn't accurate.
    Stats:
    6' tall
    332lbs
    26 year old male.

That sounds about right to me given your weight. I am 260 and do full body cardio/strength workouts and will burn about 600-800 in an hour. However, I do subtract what my HRM would post at a resting level. My HRM would show around 1100 calories after an hour long intense workout, but it shows 400 calories if I just sit for an hour, so I subtract 400 from 1100 and get 700.

I have heard that HRM's are not designed to test you out of your workout zone heartrate, which is why it says I burn 400 an hour for sitting on my butt, but that I should subtract that 400 (or 6.6 calories per minute) to get the right amount.

At least I hope I am not crazy because I am totally eating most of those calories back. :bigsmile:
  • I have worked and sell various heart rate monitors from different companies for years now. Through my extensive experience, models that do not use a heart rate monitor strap do not come out with 100% accurate data.