Lost the weight, but don't look any better

Options
I worked hard, and I lost 30 pounds. I did it slowly, by eating right and exercising. I feel like a tiger! Strong, energetic, proud of what I can do, proud of the new muscles I'm seeing. My BMI is in the "healthy" range for the first time in years.
But honestly...I think I look worse than I did before. My breasts were no longer perky after having children, but now they look deflated and flat. My face looks sunken and aged. The skin on my stomach looks loose and wrinkled.
I try to tell myself that looks aren't everything. They aren't. I have many wonderful blessings, including a husband who loves me very much! I try to focus on all the positives, like health and energy and strength. But dang, sometimes it's hard to get used to what I'm seeing in the mirror now. It's depressing.
Plastic surgery just isn't an option for me, for many reasons.
Is there anyone else out there who has dealt with this?

Replies

• Sandy2658
    Sandy2658 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've just reached my goal yesterday (85 pounds gone). Every other time I've done this my skin snapped back...not this time. I had three children and am over 50 so none of this helps. From your description, we could be twins :/
    One of my sons is a personal trainer and he's working a routine for me with weights to build muscle under the "flabby stuff" and perk up the upper regions. I will send you a friend request and will forward what he works up for me.
    We've lost the weight which is great for so many reasons...now we just have to tone.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Well, I do lift weights, and I've built some nice muscles! I'm proud of my arms and legs, and I'm even seeing some definition in my abs (after 6 children!) It's just that my breasts and the skin over my nice stomach muscles looks bad. And my face looks so much older now. :(
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    And congrats on losing 85 pounds! Wow!
  • Sandy2658
    Options
    Let's just think of ourselves as works still in progress. Losing the weight was the first step...I'm just starting on the arms now. I run between 3 and 5 miles a day so the legs are ok. You're right..it's the "core" area. I'll let you now what my son comes up with. I'm going to do some research online about this too. We are definitely not the only ones with this problem.
    As far as the face, I'm smiling alot more now. Pulls the skin up and back :)
  • Sandy2658
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP How much do you eat daily and how tall are you?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Give it time. I'm the same age, and around late summer, I felt the same way... droopy. I felt like I had a bloodhound's face. I don't know what happened... if my skin got tighter or I just got used to it or if it was all in my head the whole time, but I'm happy with my face again.

One thing that might have been a factor was that I was being super-strict with watching my sodium, and I'm not now. Maybe I was too strict with it, and a little bit of fluid retention is just what my face needed. *shrug*
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I worked hard, and I lost 30 pounds. I did it slowly, by eating right and exercising. I feel like a tiger! Strong, energetic, proud of what I can do, proud of the new muscles I'm seeing. My BMI is in the "healthy" range for the first time in years.
    But honestly...I think I look worse than I did before. My breasts were no longer perky after having children, but now they look deflated and flat. My face looks sunken and aged. The skin on my stomach looks loose and wrinkled.
    I try to tell myself that looks aren't everything. They aren't. I have many wonderful blessings, including a husband who loves me very much! I try to focus on all the positives, like health and energy and strength. But dang, sometimes it's hard to get used to what I'm seeing in the mirror now. It's depressing.
    Plastic surgery just isn't an option for me, for many reasons.
    Is there anyone else out there who has dealt with this?

I lost over a 100 lbs and let me tell you underneath it aint pretty. When I lost the weight my breast deflated (I was a DDD, I recently had breast reduction 9/2011). My stomach went from round to now looking like cottage cheese. I am about 30 lbs away from my goal and struggling like hell. Recently my face has decided to hate me and break out everywhere. I don't know why. I eat organic, no processed tons of water, you name it I did it. SO perfect..Now I am a thinner me with an ugly face. I guess I have to be grateful that I am here, alive, well enough to chase my children and that one day I will proudly be able to wear a bikini and not be embarrassed. Good Luck!
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    OP How much do you eat daily and how tall are you?

I'm 5'5". How much I eat depends on my workouts, but normally I take in somewhere between 1500-1800 cals. I aim for 75 oz water and a minimum 70 grams of protein.
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    Give it time. I'm the same age, and around late summer, I felt the same way... droopy. I felt like I had a bloodhound's face. I don't know what happened... if my skin got tighter or I just got used to it or if it was all in my head the whole time, but I'm happy with my face again.

One thing that might have been a factor was that I was being super-strict with watching my sodium, and I'm not now. Maybe I was too strict with it, and a little bit of fluid retention is just what my face needed. *shrug*

I hope you're right, that time will straighten everything out. I figured (hoped) that since I was losing weight slowly and building muscles that loose skin wouldn't be an issue!
    I think you look fabulous!
  • bushidowoman
    Options

I lost over a 100 lbs and let me tell you underneath it aint pretty. When I lost the weight my breast deflated (I was a DDD, I recently had breast reduction 9/2011). My stomach went from round to now looking like cottage cheese. I am about 30 lbs away from my goal and struggling like hell. Recently my face has decided to hate me and break out everywhere. I don't know why. I eat organic, no processed tons of water, you name it I did it. SO perfect..Now I am a thinner me with an ugly face. I guess I have to be grateful that I am here, alive, well enough to chase my children and that one day I will proudly be able to wear a bikini and not be embarrassed. Good Luck!
    I was thinking that your face looks gorgeous in your picture! And losing 100 pounds, wow, I'm in awe!
    I'm with you--I am grateful for being strong and healthy. I dress rather "conservatively" so the only one who will ever see my breasts or my stomach is my hubby (and he's always telling me how proud he is), but it bothers me just the same.