how does one tone?

Options
Hey, so this may sound stupid but how does one "tone". i gained a bunch of weight a while back and lost some in the past year. i still have some to go. i am terrified of "loose skin" i am looking at a weight loss goal of about 40 lbs in total. i am afraid that i am never going to lose the flab around my mid section b/c it will just turn into loose skin. so when you gain a significant amount of weight, then lose it, is there anyway to get your body back, or are you just basically stuck with the option of surgery to get tight again?!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lift some heavy weights, fill that loose skin up with muscle. Also, skin will catch up eventually, it just usually takes time.
  • marvold13
    Options
    you don't even have to lift heavy weights to tone up. do some research on endurance lifting. one should never just do cardio but cardio with strength training. I had the same problem lately and started the insanity videos. It seems scary at first but it has worked and i'm only a month in. The skin will go back and gaining muscle will help that! Heres a good link to many free work out videos, might be worth giving it a try. ... http://tanandtoned.tumblr.com/
  • kelleymeg
    kelleymeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i do strength training too, according to what i think is good (5x week - upper, lower, back, core, full body) but i wonder if i should up the weights to prevent the problem of loose skin...
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i do strength training too, according to what i think is good (5x week - upper, lower, back, core, full body) but i wonder if i should up the weights to prevent the problem of loose skin...

You are already "toning", which is strength training. Loose skin can take up to a year to respond after a significant weight loss, so be patient and keep up the healthy habits of healthy diet, cardio, and strength/tone.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lift some heavy weights, fill that loose skin up with muscle. Also, skin will catch up eventually, it just usually takes time.

Eating well and getting the right micronutrients is important too!
    And of course our friend water!