To much protein

Options
I have noticed that I eat more protein than suggested and I'm wondering if that can make taking weight off more difficult or does it not matter? Can anyone help me with this question? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing. bump
  • Jingram2b
    Options
    No, it will not make it more difficult...unless you're eating 500g and weight 100 lbs.

MFP tends to recommend a LOW protein level. Protein is your friend. Invite it over for dinner...and lunch...and snack time...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    MPF by default suggests only 15% of your calories come from protein. That's pretty darn low. Many people suggest you increase it, but at very least, think of it as a minimum goal and TRY to go over it, rather than trying to stay under it.

Actually, the same can be said for your calorie goal, too. Aim for it, not under it. Going over by 50 or so isn't bad. You're not on The Price is Right and won't be disqualified for going over. :wink:
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no. Actually, the default settings are really low on protein, I've upped mine to 35%. Protein combined with strength training is the best way to maintain muscle mass while losing body fat (assuming your total calories are at a deficit). If you want to cut something, I'd go for carbs if you feel like you can do it (usually requires more mentally) :)
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    1 gram per pound of lean body mass is a good general guideline, especially if you are incorporating even a modest weight lifting program into your workouts. It's HARD to eat too much protein. All the chewing.... :laugh: :yawn:
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    As someone already said, protein is your friend!! Eat it!!
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1 gram per pound of lean body mass is a good general guideline, especially if you are incorporating even a modest weight lifting program into your workouts. It's HARD to eat too much protein. All the chewing.... :laugh: :yawn:

This. I'll also add that it is important to drink a lot of water when you're diet is high in protein. Keeps constipation away.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lonedlphn
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone... :smile:
  • Daisusaikoro
    Options
    Thanks for this. I was really starting to wonder about the protein amounts in MFP... I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research especially since I'm weight training and having a hard time hitting my protein numbers as it is.
  • Daisusaikoro
    Options
    Again, just wanted to say thanks.

I found this in article elsehwere:

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Since I do a full body routine 3x a week I went by the 1.5 calc and got 146g protein/day which is a little more than 30% of my daily intake (143g)... I knew something was a bit amiss.