tips for endurance while running

Options
I've recently started the Couch 2 5k program. I did weeks 1, 2, and 3 with no problem. Yesterday, however, I started week 4, where you have to run for 3 minutes, then 5 minutes. It was cold and windy, my lungs hurt, my legs hurt, and after the first 5 minute run, I just gave up. Its really important to me that I be able to complete this program. I want to run. Any tips for how to make it through the pain?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Its really important to me that I be able to complete this program.

Whatever those reasons are, you have to think about them and push through the pain. Running is as much a mental game as it is a physical one. ETA: Pain doesn't mean injury pain.

That being said, if you slow your pace you might be able to catch your breath or give your legs a break long enough to pick up your pace again.

If you are not taking rest days, make sure you take them. Your body needs time to recover between runs.

And finally, sometimes you just have crappy runs. You have to shrug it off and keep on going.

Good luck.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Its really important to me that I be able to complete this program.

Whatever those reasons are, you have to think about them and push through the pain. Running is as much a mental game as it is a physical one. ETA: Pain doesn't mean injury pain.

That being said, if you slow your pace you might be able to catch your breath or give your legs a break long enough to pick up your pace again.

If you are not taking rest days, make sure you take them. Your body needs time to recover between runs.

And finally, sometimes you just have crappy runs. You have to shrug it off and keep on going.

Good luck.

That's all very true, one of the most useful things I ever learned as a runner was the difference between "I'm in pain" and "I'm injured". Sometimes it can take a little while to get used to running in the cold, and cause your lungs some discomfort. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, other than wearing a scarf and plowing on ahead. Don't sweat a bad run, they are going to happen from time to time. at least you're out there!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with endurance as well but after doing 5 weeks of C25K I've realized its just as much mental as it is physical. It's going to hurt like hell...just keep going.
  • muddybath
    Options
    I often find that when I am struggling at the beginning of my run, it is because there is no rythm to my breathing - and of course when it's cold, it's easy to lose the rhythm without realising it. Try concentrating on your breathing at the beginning of the run and getting it nice and even and it may help you to forget about everything else. As other posters have said, sometimes you just have a crap run.
  • shelbyleigh4
    Options
    Whenever I have a run that doesn't go so well I always make myself do that one over again. Sometimes knowing that I would have to do that run over again is what motivates me to push through.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You might try adding in some other kinds of excersize. I found my endurence for how long I could run increased dramatically after alternating days with circuit training type workouts.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Do you track your pace, I know for me when I did the C25K what "felt" like a good pace was really faster then I should have been running and I burned out fast
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    For me the couch to 5k programme wouldn't work at all, because I can just run. I didn't used to be able to, but somewhere along the line I felt something switch in my head and now I can run for as long as I want. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the time I feel horrible but I know that I will and I'm prepared for it. Once I get through the first 20 minutes I can just keep going. I'm pretty unfit at the moment (having had a baby last year) and so I run slowly. Somehow you need to flick that switch. I totally agree with the previous posters who say to learn the difference between injury pain and the pain of exercising! There is no level of fitness where you will not have any discomfort, if you don't feel it you aren't pushing hard enough. Good luck!!
  • yocherries
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I was able to perfectly complete the run today. Your advice will be helpful to me as I keep on with this program.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I was able to perfectly complete the run today. Your advice will be helpful to me as I keep on with this program.

I am not much of a runner myself, but I am trying. I have found on some days when I just don't have it in me, that I have really been short on carbohydrates.... If you continue to have days were you just don't have it in you, look at your diet and see if everything is in balance..
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Breathe.

Pace yourself.

I know the "breathe" sounds like a no-brainer, but the biggest thing in pushing through the 5-minute running barrier is learning how to breathe to give your body the right balance of oxygen as you are running. Going hand in hand with this is running at a moderate pace -- if you are "out of breath" or feel like you are "dying", you are either running too fast for your fitness level or you aren't breathing properly (either too many inhalations and not enough exhalations or vice versa). Speed will come with endurance which will come as you work with your way through the program -- focus on time (making it through the time slots), not speed.
  • DreamiJeani
    Options
    also, this may be obvious, but make sure you cover your ears on cold days. I get HORRIBLE ear pain that wraps around my entire head when I run if there is a chilly wind blowing.