Weighing Meats

Options
Hey,

In order to log meats, do you weigh it raw or cooked? I know that meat weighs more before its cooked so I'm unsure of how to log it.

Thanks!

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    raw

but only because it's easier to find 'unmolested' data on raw meats.

there seem to be a lot of "chicken cooked in the brine of the south Atlantic" type foods in the database - you can never find the cut and the method that match up. I add the meat raw, then add any oils or other ingredients as secondary entries.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    You weigh it raw.
  • MissDana1105
    MissDana1105 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weight mine cooked, I don't eat it raw so why would I count it as raw? Also generally boneless skinless chicken breasts are about 12 oz each, I'm not gonna cut everything up and then cook it so I can get the proper serving size. You can always find the nutrition info out there even if its not on mfp. Thats the way I see it anyways.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hey,

In order to log meats, do you weigh it raw or cooked? I know that meat weighs more before its cooked so I'm unsure of how to log it.

Thanks!

I weight it raw.

I am not worried about it weighing less after it is cooked, it gives leeway to any mistakes I may have made in the day's food calories. Mind you, if it had been the other way around, ie weighing MORE after cooked, I would have been alarmed lol.

Out of interest, just how much less does it weight after being cooked?
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing as to how we should be logging the weights of the meats we eat.

I did a before and after tonight with a boneless skinless chicken breast. Raw it was 5 oz. Cooked it was 3.24 oz.

But which was is the correct way to enter it? I want the calories to be right.
  • chopps_22
    chopps_22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try weigh meat before i cook it if im making a single serving of something. If im cooking a roast or something like that, I weigh the cooked meat that im going to eat.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i look at the weight on the package and guesstimate the portion i'm taking. its a very accurate and scientific method