pregnant but want to still be healthy?

Options
does anyone know how much calories you need when pregnant? i am a fatty still and i think you can lose weight while pregnant not sure though any advice?

Replies

• sandyt627
    Options
    You're not supposed to restrict calories to lose weight, but you don't want to go too over. I would honestly ask your doctor how many calories you should be eating...I'll try to do some research for you :)
  • tls0312
    tls0312 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me not to double what I eat, but to only add 300 calories per day and gain 20-30 lbs. UM, I've already gained 15 and I'm 4 months!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Speak with your Doctor. You shouldn't reduce your calories when pregnant.

Your doctor will be able to guide you properly. I don't believe one should actively try to lose weight while pregnant. You are responsible for providing for that baby.
  • Moodymona
    Moodymona Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just will eat healthier :)
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was on the heavy side when I was pregnant. My doctor told me to gain between 15-25 lbs. You are only supposed eat 200-300 calories more per day and that starts your second and even sometimes doctors say third trimester. However, do not restrict your calories, go into maintenance mode on MFP and once you get to your second/third trimester add those 200-300 cals.

Please consult your own doctor though to double check this information, he/she may specifiy something else based on your individual needs.
  • riffraff814
    Options
    My doctor suggested (for me, who was more than 50 pounds overweight when I started my pregnancy) that I should try to gain 0 weight during the first trimester, 1 pound/month during the 2nd trimester, and 1 pound per week during the 3rd trimester -- for a 15 pound total weight gain.

I ended up gaining (and losing between pregnancies, but gaining again on the second pregnancy) 50 pounds.

Good luck, and definitely consult with your own doctor for advice that is tailored for you and your body.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Your doctor will definitely be the best source of information for you and your body weight. I had friends that did lose weight during pregnancy because they were overweight and I also had friends that gained 60-80lbs that prior were really thin. I had twins and gained 30 lbs. I ate all day long but really small portions because I was nauseous. I also ate a ton of protein (eggs and chicken) because I craved it. The cravings and/or nausea will be the biggest battle. Listen to your body, drink lots of water, if you aren't too fatigued and already exercise keep up some daily activity. We hike a ton and I hiked through the entire pregnancy. Congratulations and best of luck!
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I know woman who maintained and some who lost weight while pregnant, what the docs told them is that you ill starve before your baby will, that being said, it is SOOOO important you are eating enough and the right foods so your baby will devolpe healthy, so I say do not take any advise on this site go to your doctor or mid wife, they can devolop a plan specific for your needs,

The worse thing you can do for you self and your baby is gain wiehgt during pregnancy, it can cause SOOO many problems, =) so go see your doc and tell em you want to eat healthy then follow his/her plan, they go to school for this kinda thing.

And by the way CONGRATULATIONS =)
  • SchollinJ
    Options
    use babyfit.sparkpeople.com/ (granted its this sites competitor) but is exclusively for pregnant and breastfeeding moms.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You really should not lose weight during pregnancy. I am also pregnant (due 9/6) and I have lost weight only because I have been so sick its been hard to keep enough food down... But as soon as I am feeling better I intend to log again and try and gain slowly and steadily (which is how you are supposed to gain weight while pregnant). You can set mfp goals to gain 1/2 lb a week starting your 2nd and 3rd trimesters which is what the doctors, websites, and baby books all agree is the best for a woman who is starting in the normal weight range.

You need to gain weight while this life is inside you, he or she needs the added nourishment. Besides, a lot of weight gained is in blood, water, the weight of the actual baby, etc. If done right the mother only needs to gain about 7lbs of actual weight. So unfortunately for us we have to put our weight loss goals on hold- but it doesn't mean we can try to stay fit and healthy on our journey. Its only 10 months, and it will be worth it in the end!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I have 5 children, and i've been pregnant 8 times altogether. There are a lot of misconceptions about pregnancy-don't ever believe the "eating for two" things and stuff like that, and if you aren't a high risk pregnancy, don't let anyone tell you that you can't be active while pregnant. (Of course, sensibly active, like, if you are not currently a runner, don't decide to train for a marathon...and don't take up hobbies like cliff diving and stuff lol.)

The only thing I did differently while pregnant was modify some of my yoga moves to accommodate my growing tummy. With baby #3 I gained 12 pounds total, and with #5, I gained 8 pounds total. I still measured my portions, got in lots of activity, and left myself some room for pregnancy cravings (with #5 it was cinnamon toast...I couldn't get enough of it!) I'm 5 foot 6 and with baby #5 I started my pregnancy at 157 pounds (I was still working off the baby weight from my 13 month AND my 35 month old-didn't lose the baby weight from her 'cause I got pregnant 4 months postpartum) and walked out of the hospital at 165. This was after having 3 babies in under 3 years-I made sure to stay very active with all of my pregnancies. I didn't actively try to lose weight or curb my weight gain, I just took good care of myself and didn't use it as an excuse to sit around and eat a lot of stuff. Society makes it sound like pregnant women are so delicate, but if it is a normal, healthy pregnancy there are a lot of things you can do just as if you weren't pregnant.
  • davidclooney
    Options
    i think you should eat to your heart's and stomach's content
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'd figure out what your maintenance calories needed to maintain weight and add 300 for pregnancy to give you an idea of how much you should be eating.

With that said, my mother weighed less 9 months pregnant with me than when she first got pregnant. With that said she was following a diet that was all about regular food and healthy eating. Her doctor was aware and said as long as I was growing appropriately and she didn't start to lose crazy amounts of weight he was okay with it. I would use my first sentence for now do your research and go into your first appointment with a plan in mind of what you want to do and start that discussion with your provider to find the best option for you and your baby.

Congratulations and don't forget to take your prenatals.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I just want to add one more thing, I know a lot of woman who gained weight during pregnancy and their doctor kept telling them they need to lose it, cause it is MORE dangerous to be in a unhealthy weight during pregnancy, with high blood pressure, and deibetes, the list goes on and on, people really do use this as an excuse to let go but for your and your baby health this is the time you really need to show control, they healtheir and more fit you are the easier and faster labor will be for you, and the LESS likely you will have complications

The thing is too you can lose wieght and have your baby still get what it needs, cause as you lose fat you will weigh less and if you lose more fat then the baby is gainning you will see it on the scale, but of course come up with a healthy plan for you from your doc, so he/she can monitor you
  • Honey_gold_queen
    Honey_gold_queen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How exciting. When I was pregnant i dropped 15 lbs before gaining it back when I was 7 months along. I ended up only 5 pounds heavier than my start weight. It was mostly cause I couldn't eat as much per meal. My body wouldn't let me.
    Make sure what you do eat is healthy leafy greens, (i ate turkey sandwiches a lot), and if you want a fun workout, i would wait until the 14 week mark to make sure you aren't at risk of miscarrying, but there are a lot of girls who do Zumba, or a step aerobics class. It keeps you moving, and is great for relieving back stress. Only do as much as you can, and don"t over tire yourself.
    Congratulations! and Enjoy it. It goes by so fast. (mines 1.5 years old now)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how much calories you need when pregnant? i am a fatty still and i think you can lose weight while pregnant not sure though any advice?

Eat healthy, exercise, and talk to your doctor.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say to talk to your doctor. The weight gain recommendations are loosely based on what you weigh before getting pregnant. I have one friend who was obese when she got pregnant and she was told to try to gain only 10 lbs. Generally, though, the guidelines are to gain about 25 lbs but eating 300 more calories than you need to maintain your weight. Eating healthy and listening to your body's hunger cues will be helpful in gaining what you and baby need. Like another poster said, much of the weight you gain goes to increasing blood volume, placenta, weight of baby, etc. Focus on being healthy rather than on the amount of weight you are gaining/losing.

As for this:

"I just want to add one more thing, I know a lot of woman who gained weight during pregnancy and their doctor kept telling them they need to lose it, cause it is MORE dangerous to be in a unhealthy weight during pregnancy, with high blood pressure, and deibetes, the list goes on and on, people really do use this as an excuse to let go but for your and your baby health this is the time you really need to show control, they healtheir and more fit you are the easier and faster labor will be for you, and the LESS likely you will have complications

The thing is too you can lose wieght and have your baby still get what it needs, cause as you lose fat you will weigh less and if you lose more fat then the baby is gainning you will see it on the scale, but of course come up with a healthy plan for you from your doc, so he/she can monitor you "

This is the most inaccurate info given on this thread so far. Yes, going into pregnancy at a higher weight can put you at a higher rate of some pregnancy problems, but it is still not advisable to LOSE weight in most circumstances. You don't want to overdo it and take license to eat whatever you want every single day and gain 50+ lbs, but you also don't want to feel restricted and like you are on a diet. Some people have huge appetites when pregnant (I was one of them) and others can't eat anything without throwing up. Some people eat all the time and only gain a small amount of weight while others are careful and still gain 40lbs. At this point you don't know which group you will be in. Eat healthy and know that you will be in a good spot to lose it quickly afterwards.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    First of all I agree with those who say talk to your doctor, better yet talk to a dietician...they know a lot more about nutrition that doctors do! That said, I believe weight loss, gain and health (pregnant or not) depends on the quality of the food you choose to eat, if you're eating burgers and fries and switch to chicken and broccoli, you're probably going to eat less calories than you were before, but it's healthier! I lost weight while pregnant with both my babies (ages 12 and 2 now), but not because I was trying, because I was eating healthier. My dietician told me that the most important thing was to get the right foods to make a healthy baby! I ended up eating less, but it was better quality and I walked of the hospital smaller than I was before I got pregnant and with 2 healthy babies!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You need to gain weight while this life is inside you, he or she needs the added nourishment.

Nourishment for baby comes from food, not from stored weight on it's mother! Mom gains weight (2-5 pounds) as the uterus changes size to accommodate the growing baby! Also extra (2-7 pounds) in breast tissue and increased blood volume.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    voting for talking to the doctor!!!

My doc has me eating just my maintenance calories up until I am 20 weeks - and I am normal size (now)! I am nearly 15 weeks and I've gained nothing so far and my doctor is very happy with that.

Every woman is different, so have a serious discussion with your doctor and see what they say about it. Congrats and here's to wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!